Explorer - Seasickness Question

We're cruising on Explorer on the Holiday Sailing on December 23, and, we have a dear friend who will be alone during this upcoming holiday season and, we're trying to encourage to book the cruise and come with us. Our friend has never cruised before and, she does suffer from motion sickness. This is the main reason she is resistant to the idea - but does like the idea of traveling with us during the holidays.

Any ideas? Stories? Suggestions that might help to get her to give it a try and join us?

Thanks

Both my daughter and I are VERY prone to motion sickness. We get sick if riding in the back seat of a car, and even in the front if it is too hot. We can't read while in a car, bus etc. and we too were leary about cruising.

What Ido is take a Bonine, starting the night before travel and then just take one each evening on each day of a cruise. If any sort of rough seas are predicted, take another in the morning, i.e. two per day but take at least one every evening. We have both never gotten seasick on a cruise.

I sailed to Bermuda this past October and it was so rough sailing down from NJ that a majority of the passengers were sick and even talked to crew members who got sick, who never had before. I was fine as took my Bonine, one at night and one in the morning and never missed a minute of my vacation. (my husband is very lucky and never gets sick and tolerated that cruise just fine!)

So just buy a box of Bonine for her and I guarantee she will be fine and become addicted to cruising like the rest of us!!!

You can also go to the pursers desk and get dramamine for free. I was always worried about getting sick on a cruise ship as well, since I have had my share of leaning my head over the side of a boat (usually small boats) and feeling horrible. I have never had a problem, if the seas start to pickup then I just take a pill and have never had a problem. The last cruise I went on and I tried to go the whole cruise without taking a single pill, I made it through with no stomach issues.

Bonine is pretty good stuff, it is suppose to not make you drowsy which I have heard that dramamine does make you dramamine, but I dont know. Listen to tinker's advince and your friend will be just fine.

Archived