Skagway or Sitka?

kktk

From the the 2 cruises that we were looking at, one does the sitka stop the other does the skagway stop.

From my research it looked like skagway was a more popular destination.

This is our frist trip up there and we probably wont go again for a while.

In that case, which one should we pick?

Also, if Sitka has more nature/wildlife foresty type activities....we're really not into that.

K

I had that same dilemna in '99 for my Inside Passage cruise. I opted for Sitka just for the Russian History. While Skagway also has some history, I don't think it compares to Sitka.

Sitka was the home of the Russian Baranoff that the Island is named for. His castle was built on a hill that now carries the U.S. flag since we purchased Alaska from the Russians. St. Michaels Russian Orthodox Cathedral is beautiful with lots of artifacts and history also. There is the Raptor Center and the Rain Forest, but you don't have to go there if you don't want to. There is a shuttle that you pick up at the dock and for $10 you hop on or off where you want to, I think it makes like 7 stops of interest. There are a couple of museums too. We took the shuttle up the hill to the Raptor Center (operated by volunteers) it was so interesting, I never knew owls were a bird of prey, or that a Bald Eagle was a scavenger, so many interesting and little known facts about these beautiful birds, then the driver showed us the trail to take through the rain forest (downhill), we saw a memorial to some Russians massacred by the Indians back in the 1800"s sometime, to the Museum where they had carving demonstrations of totem poles and canoes (my husband found this especially interesting and talked to the carvers for what seemed like hours) actually probably only a half hour. There is architecturally beautiful old building (I think it will be the first huge building you would see when arrive at the pier) that was a home for the pioneers that ended up destitute and homeless. It is still an operating home for these people today. Sitka is a small, historical bit of American Living History, IMHO.

Now that said, for my upcoming cruisetour, I wanted to see the Yukon as well as Interior Alaska, so I chose HAL Yukon Wilderness Cruisetour #1 that we will disembark the ship in Skagway and head inland. So even though 8 years have passed since I was in Sitka, I am going to get to see Skagway after all.

I don't think you can go wrong no matter which destination you select. Alaska is beauty beyond compare. And while each port is a little different, they all have something wonderful to add to your trip. You have to decide which holds most importance to you. Have a great trip.:p

Thanks....

Our main goal was to make this a sight seeing trip mainly.

The place with more picturesque views is where we would like to go--maybe even excursions up mountains and 1-2 hour treks would suit us great.

I have requested brochures from both places too.

Sitka, since it is not on as many itineraries as Skagway, is less 'touristy' IMO. Skagway and Ketchikan (the towns themselves) are nearly interchangable.

If you are into trains, the 'bawdy' taverns and Klondike Gold Rush history - Skagway-(love the history museum affiliated with the National Park there), if not Sitka. Sitka's got great historical sites, more interesting shopping, and a really accessible national park (really nice hiking - not strenuous, but very picturesque). It is easier to entertain yourself inexpensively in Sitka.

We've been to both places a couple of times each. Next summer we are looking for cruises and will ONLY consider those with Sitka stops.

That's a tough call, and a decision we made on our first trip up there too. We chose Skagway, because we liked the gold rush history of it and the White Pass RR excursion. Had a blast there too!

We ended up by chance swapping Skagway for Sitka on our next cruise. I really enjoyed Sitka as well .... lots of history there, too, but of a different kind. We just wandered the town on our own, so I can't offer any opinions on scenery outside of town. BUT, if it's spectacular scenery you are after, choose Skagway and the railroad trip. And if you do that, try to board on the last car of the train ... you can get GREAT photos by riding out on the back platform ... open air and scenery you will not believe.

To add to the differences already mentioned, Sitka is a coastal town, right out near the open Pacific/Gulf of Alaska. Skagway is a bit more inland in nature...

Both are quite scenic, but in a different way. Tough choice... I make a point to visit each several times every summer.

-Case

thanks.....well obviously cant get everything in one trip....but i think the rail excursion seems to be popular with many....which makes skagway a must stop....hmmmm

decisions...decisions.. :)

Archived