How many people go to the "shopping" talks?

MamaParrotHead

Don't go! It's a waste. I didn't realize they be played over and over and over again in the cabins. I re"watched" when I was getting ready for dinner. If you're looking for something specific, talk to your super shopper during office hours. Otherwise, just pick up the shopping maps on your way off the ship.

I would have to say that it depends on what your shopping for whether it would be worthwhile for you to attend the whole presentation.

It is basically an verbal advertizement for the different store the ship "recommends" if you get my drift. They do offer some good information and get can win some neat prizes but IMO, it was too long. Now if your in the market for some major jewerly shopping and are intending on putting out hundreds or thousands(which it appears many folks do:eek:) then the talk may offer invaluable information such as how much you can bring back duty free per person etc and who has the best guarantees.

If you are basically trinket shopping,I would stop by, get the coupons which are passed out at the door, and head out.

Hope this helps.

Jan

I don't think Carnival's shopping lectures are very good. Granted, I was on a smaller ship for a 5 day cruise. I would definately go back to Royal Carib's. They gave better information and had some pretty great prizes (including the diamond earrings I won)

I've not heard the best things about them, and I consider my vacation time precious. What am I missing?

I agree with most of the people who answered - you can watch it on TV and get the maps without going to the talk. They ususally do give something(s) away at the talk so I suppose that might be incentive to go, but I would rather be doing something else.

oh yeah, and i don't know how many others have experienced this, but on our last cruise, in particular, the "super shopper" was shoving the seamiles credit card applications down everyone's throat (even though it's not her job, but that of a seamiles rep on board). she did it around the ship, on promenade, and half of the in-cabin tv w/ her on it, had her pushing this card.

i finally went up to her desk on promenade, and said, you know, this card really stinks, so you might want to re-think pushing it. people will remember you for it.;)

seamiles reps have been on board for some time. they often have desk around, and casually try to approach you. but on that last cruise, this carnival person wld not stop hounding...

Went to the talk on our last (and first cruise) with RCI. Can't say it was really worth it. They did a "scavenger hunt" beforehand and you put your entry in a box for a drawing at the end of the talk to win jewelry. "must be present to win" The CD was throwing out alot of freebies, color changing rings, keychains, ect. Nothing worth that hour long INFOMERCIAL. It was interesting but nothing I will go out of my way to do again. I will only do it again if I'm interested in purchasing the coupon book. I think we paid $20 but recieved at least that in freebie coupons. If we'd been visiting more ports it would have been worth it. However, I'm not sure I want to spend a WHOLE port day shopping again like I had to in order to get my moneys worth out of this coupon book.

I went on my first cruise because...well i was a newbie. Going on my second cruise in a little bite and going somewhere I have never been so...I might go, but if it is on the TV i might watch just to see what there is. I did get some great advice and ended up with a diamond, Tanzanite and Fire opals ring for 400.00 less then the list price and when I got home I had it appraised and it was right on the money. So like the art auction depends on if there isnt anything else exciting to do during that time.;)

Alice Faye

I ve been to a few but not many because we have been to the islands so many times. I did go with my SIL a couple years ago because she had never been. They always have drawings at the talk and my name was pulled to win a diamond bracelet worth $200. :D

went to one shopping talk on our first cruise.....and again on the second cruise...but after I realized there were the same stores in most of the regular caribbean ports, i quit going! always sat in the back so i never got any of the free stuff they threw out in to the audience!

but do pick up their maps on the way off the ship...the map comes in handy from time to time just to be sure you are going the right direction!

have a great trip....

Beverly

went to one shopping talk on our first cruise.....and again on the second cruise...but after I realized there were the same stores in most of the regular caribbean ports, i quit going! always sat in the back so i never got any of the free stuff they threw out in to the audience!

but do pick up their maps on the way off the ship...the map comes in handy from time to time just to be sure you are going the right direction!

have a great trip....

Beverly

Actually on Celebrity I went to a Watch shopping talk. It was VERY informative and I learned a LOT about telling a counterfiet watch from the genuine article. Other than that it's pretty obvious that the shops give the ship some incentive to steer pax to their shops.

FF

Lost an hour of good sun, and everything they gave out was available at the shopping desk, and/or left in the cabin with our capers the night before the port.

They are just pushing you to the stores that give them kickbacks. They ask you to fill out a guarantee card, so that they can track your spending to ensure they get back their spiff!

Archived