Spirit Class

afdds

Whats so petty about it? I see people here telling folks to tip the buffet employees because they work so hard, etc. Where do you draw the line? Or do you simply hand every person in uniform a buck or two if he smiles and nods at you? Giving people a tip just for performing their duties is insulting to those that go the extra mile for you. Tips are earned, at least in my opinion.

But, hey, you keep tipping as you see fit, I'll do the same.

BTW, what about Stuart Little was petty?

Well, as I stated earlier, I tip very well for above average service, otherwise I tip what is expected. Some on this board seem to feel that extra tipping is required for every little detail. And they preach that to the world.

The steward is paid by the line to perform certain functions. In addition, he gets the $10 per day per guest (or his portion of it anyway). If I ask him to do one thing for me, I don't feel that in itself warrants an additional tip above what I am already providing. Besides, I don't really view asking for an extra pillow to be "above and beyond the call of duty". If there are no extra pillows in the room (or whatever small item I request that I cannot obtain on my own), that would fall in the description of his job as steward.

Some of you seem to think these employees are making slave wages.

But, as I said earlier, "to each his own".

I don't tip for every little thing, and I don't preach about it. MY OPINION WHICH I AM ALLOWED TO HAVE is that this is something above and beyond their normal job responsibility...

The stewards are paid $40 per month by the cruiselines... they don't get 10pp/pd. They get 3.50pp/pd, and they share that with their assistant.

I never said that asking for an extra pillow was worthy of a tip... the question, and topic, was in regards to the items in the mini bar correct??? The mini bar is different... to remove everything and find a place to put them, while being responsible for those items and returning them all to the fridge, is worth a tip, IN MY OPINION. Then again, there are people that think having the steward keep their giant coolers filled with ice is not worthy of an extra tip... it takes all kinds :rolleyes:

Whats so petty about it? I see people here telling folks to tip the buffet employees because they work so hard, etc. Where do you draw the line? Or do you simply hand every person in uniform a buck or two if he smiles and nods at you? Giving people a tip just for performing their duties is insulting to those that go the extra mile for you. Tips are earned, at least in my opinion.

But, hey, you keep tipping as you see fit, I'll do the same.

BTW, what about Stuart Little was petty?

If it is their DUTY... why don't they just remove the items for everyone? Since what you are saying is that is part of what they are supposed to do. So your steward does his/her actual duties... cleans your cabin twice a day, makes your beds, cleans your bathroom, replenishes your towels, fills your ice bucket... and because he doesn't empty and store your mini bar items, he hasn't earned his tips??? And those that tip ADDITIONAL because someone went the extra mile is now insulting? ROFLMAO! Tell that to any cabin steward...

GC,

you really need to re-read what I posted, not what you thought I did. I stated I normally empty my own fridge...no biggie either way. But I don't think it warrants a tip since all he would do is set it on the floor...same as me. Same thing for the extra pillow. If its not in the room, my only choice in getting one is to ask for one....thats what he is there for.

As for this comment

those that tip ADDITIONAL because someone went the extra mile is now insulting? ROFLMAO

Try reading what I posted again. I wouldn't call a buffet worker picking up a plate "going the extra mile". Or tipping everyone you see in uniform.

Once again, to each his own. I know I tip well to those that are deserving. Some of you seem to feel most everyone is deserving. Doesn't upset me either way. But it really isn't required to tell everybody and his brother what THEY should do. It's a personal choice based on personal opinions.

GC,

you really need to re-read what I posted, not what you thought I did. I stated I normally empty my own fridge...no biggie either way. But I don't think it warrants a tip since all he would do is set it on the floor...same as me. Same thing for the extra pillow. If its not in the room, my only choice in getting one is to ask for one....thats what he is there for.

As for this comment

Try reading what I posted again. I wouldn't call a buffet worker picking up a plate "going the extra mile". Or tipping everyone you see in uniform.

Once again, to each his own. I know I tip well to those that are deserving. Some of you seem to feel most everyone is deserving. Doesn't upset me either way. But it really isn't required to tell everybody and his brother what THEY should do. It's a personal choice based on personal opinions.

Why in the world would they put the items on the floor? The 2 times I have had this done, they were not put on the floor... I can't imagine where they would put them... floor space is at a premium.

I'm not getting into the pillows... I've explained my feelings on that. Again, I thought we were discussing the mini bar... but somehow pillows and buffet workers are now the subject??? I keep forgetting that some people start drinking really early on Fridays :p LOL By extra mile, again... I was referring to the mini bar. That is where your argument originally began, the mini bar. Again, I was referring to the mini bar. Okay?? ;)

SO I ask him to unlock it so I CAN EMPTY IT. Then hand him the required 2 bucks for turning a key?

OK, you're right. That is definately going waaaay out of his way for me.

Weren't you the one who said the pillow warranted a tip?

I am so glad you guys are setting me straight. My idea of tipping those employees who made my trip memorable, special or went the "extra mile" for me is all wrong. I need to just throw $2 bills at everyone I encounter, evertime I see them. :rolleyes:

StuartLittle, the simple fact that the mini-bar is locked when you get to your cabin should be your first clue that it isn't the same thing as a closet or a pillow.

But somehow it is related to the workers in the buffet :p

SO I ask him to unlock it so I CAN EMPTY IT. Then hand him the required 2 bucks for turning a key?

OK, you're right. That is definately going waaaay out of his way for me.

Weren't you the one who said the pillow warranted a tip?

I am so glad you guys are setting me straight. My idea of tipping those employees who made my trip memorable, special or went the "extra mile" for me is all wrong. I need to just throw $2 bills at everyone I encounter, evertime I see them. :rolleyes:

Oh geez. If you are emptying it, why would you give him a tip????? They will happily unlock your fridge for you, that is part of their job. Who in the world said you should tip because they unlocked the bar? Oh that's right, nobody.

You asked if anyone thought a tip would be warranted for getting an extra pillow... I said no. I don't know who you are asking, since you didn't bother to clarify that in your post. Tip how and who you want, but don't jump all over people that tip differently and have different views. it is additional work, that's the bottom line. They do enough work without having to empty and store everyone's bar items so they can fill them with their own smuggled items.

Why in the world would they put the items on the floor? The 2 times I have had this done, they were not put on the floor... I can't imagine where they would put them... floor space is at a premium.

I'm not getting into the pillows... I've explained my feelings on that. Again, I thought we were discussing the mini bar... but somehow pillows and buffet workers are now the subject??? I keep forgetting that some people start drinking really early on Fridays :p LOL By extra mile, again... I was referring to the mini bar. That is where your argument originally began, the mini bar. Again, I was referring to the mini bar. Okay?? ;)

Well, the 1st time I asked a steward if I could have the items removed, he simply took them out and set them on the floor under tha vanity. They sat there the entire week. It was at that point I realized that all I need to do is the same thing and advise steward so he wouldn't think it was all consumed and replace the items.

The pillows, buffet stuff.... I brought that in to make my original intended point. Some people here insist that tipping most everyone is darn near required.

Who in the world said you should tip because they unlocked the bar? Oh that's right, nobody.

I guess I just misread this then? Was he not referring to the fact that the mini-bar being locked means dealing with it is an "extra-duty". And if so, wasn't it stated that tipping is expected for extra duty?

StuartLittle, the simple fact that the mini-bar is locked when you get to your cabin should be your first clue that it isn't the same thing as a closet or a pillow.

But somehow it is related to the workers in the buffet :p

You seem easily confused GC. You really should try to follow an entire thread. It will actually make sense that way.

Tip how and who you want, but don't jump all over people that tip differently and have different views. it is additional work, that's the bottom line. They do enough work without having to empty and store everyone's bar items so they can fill them with their own smuggled items.

That is my POINT EXACTLY. I'm not telling anyone how to tip!!!! It just drives me nuts how many here seem to feel they have to tell everyone else here how to.

Well, the 1st time I asked a steward if I could have the items removed, he simply took them out and set them on the floor under tha vanity. They sat there the entire week. It was at that point I realized that all I need to do is the same thing and advise steward so he wouldn't think it was all consumed and replace the items.

The pillows, buffet stuff.... I brought that in to make my original intended point. Some people here insist that tipping most everyone is darn near required.

You had a bad steward....

Yet you brought those subjects into a thread, with people that don't insist on tipping everyone... just to change the subject?? Still don't understand that... we aren't talking about "tipping most everyone", we are talking about an extra buck or two for having the steward remove all the items, store them, replace them and be responsible for them (since anything missing would come out of their pockets) I've never tipped for pillows, and I've never tipped the buffet staff since they are included in the $10/per day.

Unlocking the mini-bar is so obviously normal I shouldn't need to spell it out. What isn't normal is asking the contents of the mini-bar to be removed so you can put your personal items in their place. I thought I was clear on this point but it seems I was wrong.

I guess I just misread this then? Was he not referring to the fact that the mini-bar being locked means dealing with it is an "extra-duty". And if so, wasn't it stated that tipping is expected for extra duty?

Obviously, you missed the point of his post, or didn't quite understand it. How in the world could you get out of that, that you should tip for unlocking the bar???? WOW!!!!!!

And I have read the entire thread. YOU were the one that brought all these other subjects into it... when everyone else is still talking about the mini bar :rolleyes:

Unlocking the mini-bar is so obviously normal I shouldn't need to spell it out. What isn't normal is asking the contents of the mini-bar to be removed so you can put your personal items in their place. I thought I was clear on this point but it seems I was wrong.

But come on, it gave me a good laugh for the day!!!! I have read it over and over, and can't understand how anyone could misconstrue what you were saying, LMAO!!

The sky is falling!!!!

You had a bad steward....

Yet you brought those subjects into a thread, with people that don't insist on tipping everyone... just to change the subject?? Still don't understand that... we aren't talking about "tipping most everyone", we are talking about an extra buck or two for having the steward remove all the items, store them, replace them and be responsible for them (since anything missing would come out of their pockets) I've never tipped for pillows, and I've never tipped the buffet staff since they are included in the $10/per day.

Then you can see my point I would hope. My steward emptyd it on the floor...no removing from room, responsibility, etc. Why would I tip for that? as thats the only time I've had it dones, I thought thats how it was always done. Ever since, I have done it myself.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help with the mini bar. I'm glad I saw the picture, or I might have missed the bar. I'm just glad to know that the Legend has a mini bar. I'll think about all the other stuff..........unlock, lock, take the stuff out, leave the stuff in, and I won't forget about the pillows. Tipping, Ok, I won't go there! ;)

Thanks again for the help.

Archived