Shore Excursion Policies - Does anyone know?

Newcruiser00

Hi......Does anyone know what the policies are for ship excursions? Is it the same as when they do not guarantee to sail to a port on the itinerary for whatever reason? When you book a shore excursion should you be aware that they don't guarantee that particular shore excursion?

If I know what the policies are or where to read them I would be better prepared in the future or more careful when I book.

We booked the Catamaran Shipwreck Snorkel at $49/person on the Majesty to Bermuda for our son and his girlfriend. Having been snorkeling at Tobacco Bay for two days looking at all the beautiful fish, this would have been something different and the reason why we booked the Shipwreck.

That morning everyone met in the designated place. The Dive In Instructor went over the routine thinngs. Then everyone proceeded to the dock to wait for the boat. It arrived shortly afterwards. After pulling away from the dock and sailing away, the Dive In instructor made an announcement. Good news is that we're going snorkeling.......Bad news is we're not going to the shipwreck because the water is too rough! They sailed out aways and dropped anchor. The Dive In Instructor said that since everyone's an experienced snorkelor then there's nothing for him to do. So jump in and snorkel. The boat stayed there for an hour and then brought everyone back.

My son said if they knew that was going to happen they would have just gone to Tobacco Bay and snorkeled where they could see great fish, instead of wasting their time. They saw a few fish on this excursion, but nothing compared to Tobacco Bay. But it wasn't supposed to be a trip to see fish!

Afterwards, we went to the excursion desk to ask why they didn't cancel if they couldn't go to the shipwreck? They said it was the Captain's decision and the boat took them snorkeling, so that was it!

They did cancel the Helmut Dive that morning because of rough water.

Just confused here. And want to be aware of this for the next time! Didn't think it was right that they didn't tell anyone they were not going to the shipwreck until after the boat was sailing away.

This is the description of the excursion we booked......

Anyone know the rules????? :confused:

CATAMARAN SHIPWRECK SNORKEL Approximate Duration: 2 1/2 hours Level 2

Your catamaran will take a short motor/sail around the East End of Bermuda before dropping anchor at the historic wreck of the Pelinaion, a 385-foot Greek steamer that sunk back in the 1940s. She is an awesome sight because of her large size and massive parts. Most noticeable are the ship's giant steam boilers, huge triple expansion engine standing upright and a spare propeller. Snorkel the ship and the surrounding reefs for an hour, before the crew calls you back aboard for the return voyage. Complimentary soft drinks will be offered.

Note: This is an advanced snorkel that is conducted in open-water conditions that may include a light chop. Participants should be in good physical condition and be experienced in snorkeling.

I had a problem with a shore excursion on the Wind last year. It took an act of God to get anyone to listen to us. We had to tell our story about 25 times. The captain of the Catamaran was drinking rum punch when we stopped to snorkel. Then he let an intoxicated passenger drive the boat for over 30 minutes. We even had pictures of the passenger drinking as she drove the boat. What made it worse is that another NCl was also there that day. The same captain was going over to pick up passengers on that boat. What finally worked is that we complained, then put it in writing at the end of the cruise on the comment card. Like magic we got a 25% refund, after we had been repeatedly put off. It really was not the money, we just wanted NCL to watch this particular company. Finally they said that they would do surprise inspections. Now my Dh will not go on NCL again.

All NCL shore excursions are subject to cancellation.

We were supposed to do the Parker Ranch in Kona on the POA and the night before, they cancelled it. (they put a note on our door at 9:00 p.m. for a 7:15 a.m. tour, luckily we found it). They did help us select another tour. Another person on our ship was bumped days for her excursion. (we had two days in Maui) She was supposed to do the tour on Day 2, but a couple of days before, they bumped her back to Day 1.

Finally, the other thing to remember is that they usually don't cancel tours due to weather. I know one tour group on our ship was upset the first morning in Kauai because it was raining and their tour was still going and it was outside. There choice was to not go and not get a refund or go in the rain because the tour was running.

Another reason in my opinion, not to use NCL tours, but to book your own.

Hi.......My son would have been thrilled if they did not cancel the Shipwreck Excursion....In fact the description said it was in open waters with a light chop!

Instead they changed the excursion to just going to open waters and said go snorkel. And they told them of the change when they were already on their way. There was no way to get off the boat at that point.

I jut felt that they should have told the people while on shore that they were not going to the Shipwreck.

A good education I guess! :rolleyes:

Archived