Black Sand Snorkel and Beach

TamIam

I did call the NCL excursion desk and they could not give me any info beyond the blurb written on the website. Since I am traveling with a beginner swimmer and non-fish loving swimmers, I had some specific questions they could not answer. I'm hoping there is someone out there who has done this excursion through NCL and able to help..

1) Is the snorkel sight close to the shoreline, and if not, how deep is the water and does it get rough? Would a beginner swimmer be able to get to shore fairly easily to just hang out?

2) Do they provide life vest for kids?

I've done snorkel catamarans with kids in the past (caribbean), but was able to assess the situation prior to committment. I did book this, and of course, I can't cancel on the spot. Thank you all for the tremendous amount of help you have given. Hope someone can give me a review on this excursion!

Betty

Has anyone tried this excursion through NCL. We're sailing on the Wind in April and considering doing this. I did a search and nothing came up, so I am wondering if that means this is not a popular excursion.

Is this the beach?, Located on Maui, Waianapanapa Black Sand Beach

As you approach Hana town on the Hana Highway, 1.0 mile beyond `Ula`ino Rd., watch for the turnoff for the 120 acre Waianapanapa State Park to appear makai. Drive very slowly here as local children and pets walk the narrow road. Signs will direct you to the famous and very photo-worthy black sand beach, its dramatic and unique setting among black lava cliffs and little ebony islands contrasting against brilliant green beach naupaka and the white sea foam of crashing waves. A footpath here begins just west of the campground and guides us one quarter mile past two black pebble beaches (if you're barefoot, watch out for stinging Portuguese Man '0' War bladders, looking like little purple-tinged transparent balloons) through the tropical vegetation to Waianapanapa and Waiomao caves. These two seaside lava tubes are filled with fresh crystalline waters and are said to be connected. Honokalani Black Sand Beach looks out on a natural sea arch out on the point. Here begins the King's Highway foot trail, which closely follows the shore for 3 miles/5 km to Hana.

MAWaianapanapa.jpeg

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/Is_Maui/MAFeatureBeach.html

http://www.mauibeachguide.com/Black_Sand_Beach_-_Hana.html

Is this the beach?, Located on Maui, Waianapanapa Black Sand Beach

Hi. Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, no that isn't the beach, although it looks lovely. The excursion I was refering to is through NCL on Kona. Here's a description.

Upon arrival at Anaechoomalu Bay, your experienced crew will greet you and lead you aboard a world-class sailing catamaran for a once-in-a lifetime journey to the secluded coral gardens of the Kohala Coast. Our experienced Captains will take you to a remote black sand beach. Join our knowledgeable guides for a personalized tour of the reef, encountering unique tropical fish, and perhaps an endangered green sea turtle. When you are back on the catamaran, enjoy cold drinks as you set sail back to the bay. Upon your return to Anaechoomalu Bay, you will have time to enjoy kayaking, hydro-biking or just relax on the beach. A boxed lunch is included.

Not very descriptive, I'm afraid. I think we'll do it even if I don't hear any reviews.

BeachLuvrBC, when are you traveling? We are on the 4/4/07 sailing of the Wind. If we go first, I will post a review.:D

I have not done this excursion....but I have been to the A-Bay beach where you are to board the catamaran. A-Bay is a lovely beach...salt and pepper sand and lots of palm trees for shade from the sun. There are also nice restroom facilities here. Even if your non-swimmers and non-fishing loving friends and family do not enjoy the snorkel spot, I am sure they will enjoy the catamaran ride and the refreshments:D Also, on the return they will definitely enjoy the time at the A-Bay beach. It sounds like a fun day...enjoy!!

Archived