The White Pass Railroad

giraffez

If your docking in Haines you will get to ride the fast ferry over to Skagway. That is a great trip in itself, the scenery is beautiful between the two towns. The ferry has a naturalist on board and we actually saw as many whales from the ferry as we did on our whale watching cruise out of Juneau. It is true there isn't that much to do in Haines although this past summer we did the Takshanuk Trail 4X4 which was fun. But you won't want to miss the White Pass, that's the best.

St. Louis Sal

Have to agree with this.

I took the train in 2004. The views were amazing, but after a while it all became the same. I was so bored on the way back I fell asleep. I also felt the price we paid was too much for what we actually got. If I ever went back to Alaska I wouldn't do this again.

Make that 3 nays. I did it in '98. Some of the scenery was quite pretty and I hung (quite literally) off the platform on our car taking photos most of the time. But overall it wasn't terribly memorable. When we compared notes at dinner, it seemed like our friends had a better time on the Salmon Bake/Gold Mine Camp excursion. But that was quite a number of years ago also...

We Did the White Pass in September 2004. Last Mercury cruise of the season. Did the train and the view was spectacular. Ride took extra time because a moose fell in love with the engine and kept getting in front of the train causing us to stop. It was very funny and definitely different.

Here are a few photos

1570816699_Alaska2004064.jpg.c1f7c100b9e22f63056a56e2ac163b0f.jpg

577227897_Alaska2004065.jpg.c5e57c124e22ea2cdfdfc2b4d6611e56.jpg

613316211_Alaska2004086.jpg.83225e2d9ad91ad30625d9c6b183df71.jpg

You can count me as one that thought how could a train ride be that great:o Well, last year we did it, we took a scenic bus ride up to Carcross then brought the train back. We of course did the tour thru HAL. I have to admit for a very long tour all day we had a wonderful time. We went the first week of May so it was solid snow thru most of it but very beautiful, it was also snowing. Dh was also a bit leary but we both really enjoyed that day and would most likely do it again in a few years if we are going a different time of the year just to see the area sith out all the snow.:D

If you want to see lots of pictures just click on the link in my signature and look at our Ryndam May 2006 pictures. Many pictures from the train ride there.

Hey Lisa you did the exact same thing as we did in September, we sat at the back of the bus and guess what we found 3 other Kiwis, we had the bestest day ever :-)

We LOVED this trip. The views were breathtaking--repeatedly! Just one WOW moment after another!

Someone asked about the comfort on a cold day. There's a small heater in the car that looks like an old coal stove that heats quite well. It was quite chilly the we took the train. The conductor turned on the heat and it was very comfy. We took hundreds of pix that day.

What a great day!

Archived