What I Need To Know?

maelisch

Hello :) I'm sure ya'll will be seeing me around alot from now on. Jan 08 we are having a large group of family/friends going on Carnivals Miracle. Out of everyone, my husband and I are the only ones with kids. While most of my ex. family have gone on cruises already, this will be my familys first trip. I have a year to plan. What do I need to know to be prepared for my children? My kids will be 9, 6, 5, and 2 1/2 for the cruise (they are 8, 5, 4, 1 now).

Will it be logical to bring a stroller along for the toddler? We'll be flying down to get to the ship and flying home again. What do I need to know about Camp Carnival and do I need to do anything in advance to sign them up for it? Any hints or tips to make the trip less caotic?

Thanks for the help :)

heather

mama to

mathew, elizabeth

isaiah, charlotte

We sailed on Carnival when our daughter was 23 months (too young for the program), 3 and 4 years old. That last time was in 2002 but I imagine many things are still the same. The kids program will have your children's names and birthdates. When you get aboard, you should be getting some info about when the mandatory orientation/registration is on the first night. You'll get all the details you need at this time, including how to sign up for kidsitting (post-10pm and in-port) if you want to take advantage of this service (probably still $5/hr). You'll also get a day-by-day list of activities for each kid. They will probably be in at least two different groups.

One thing to be aware of is that because most schools will be back from winter break by then (some on 1/2/08, some on 1/8/08), there may be fewer kids onboard. Usually when there's fewer kids, there may be fewer groups and fewer activities.

I'm cruising with a 1 and 3 yo in October. We've cruised before, but never with kids. I have learned so many tips (too many to mention) by reading most of the posts on the Family Cruising Board. Since this is your first cruise, I'd suggest you read most of the posts on the Ask a Cruise Question and First Time Cruisers Message Boards too. Start making a list of tips since there's no way to remember every little trick. Once you've gone through those message boards, check out the Carnival Cruise Line message board. You'll learn all sorts of tips about Carnival. I highly recommend starting a file (I do mine on the computer and copy and paste paragraphs from those boards into my cruise file). You have tons of time and if you do some research, you'll be a pro by the time you cruise. Most of the questions you will come up with between now and then will have already been asked somewhere in one of those forums. You have the advantage of time. Once summer comes and goes, start watching for sales on summer clothes for your family. You'll need all sorts of clothes from casual to formal, so watch the sales.

Enjoy the prep!;)

Archived