Has anyone done the Discover Scuba w/Stingrays?

GracieBebe

Hi, :p

Has anyone done the Discover Scuba w/Stingrays through Island Marketing? If so, what was it like? We signed up for it for our 1st cruise and are very excited but I have not seen anyone mention anything about it on these boards.

Thanks,

I have dove with the rays and taught many a discover scuba session, though I have never had anything to do with Island Marketing and really can't say anything (good or bad) about them.

General tips on introductory scuba experiences:

A discover scuba experience includes a small introduction to dive theory, some practice time in a pool or other calm clear water, and often an actual dive in the sea. The theory discussion can be done while in the pool.

There is a limit of 4 students to each instructor. With a divemaster to assist the instructor, that rises to 6 students.

Maximum depth for any discover scuba experience is 40ft, though a Stingray dive is MUCH shallower at around 15ft.

You need to be in generally good health, with no serious respiratory or cardiac conditions. You must not dive with a cold or congestion. There is a short medical questionairre to complete. Depending upon you answers to the questions, you may be required to provide a clearance from your physician before you can dive. It is VERY IMPORTANT to answer all questions truthfully. Download the medical form here: http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-Ver2-0.pdf It is best to complete the form and get your doctor's approval prior to travelling.

People have different reactions to diving with the stingrays. The rays can approach from any direction (including from above) and frequently nudge the divers. Some people cannot handle that amount of sensory overload and freak out. Most do fine.

During most stingray dives one or more large green moray eels come out to check out the group. Regardless of what the dive guides do, I STRONGLY suggest that you tuck your hands into your armpits and nothing but watch when an eel is about. They are not tame and do have very sharp teeth and a nasty infectious bite.

Hi Drew Sailbum,

Thank you for the info! We have done other discover scuba expeditions before, but never with stingrays or eels. I'm hoping that this will be an amazing experience. The last dive we did in St. Thomas, the dive shop took us to a sunken ship but it was so dead there that we barely saw anything.

Actually, I have taken a PADI certification class and test 11 years ago, but I forgot to mail in the final paperwork to get my certification card (thus no longer being certified). I've even done dives down to 100 ft and even a few night dives (best dives I've ever had!!!) I wonder if there is any way to still get my card without having to take another class again?

Thanks again!!!

Archived