Designer knock offs in the Tourism Village

dansu

2 weeks ago today I was strolling happily in the Tourism Village...the sun was hot....the light breeze was pleasant...it was a perfect day to shop! Especially since hubby got fed up watching me shop, and went back to the CCL Legend, leaving me to browse and purchase at my leisure.

CCL shopping desk pushed you to their jewellery vendors..and there is more than one they endorse. They call it the CCL guarantee...another name for ensuring they get their cut. The prices are okay..if you are really in need of a jewellery fix...I wasn't.

I chose to shop for the usual souvenir fare..t-shirts, shot glass and water globe for the kids, local Belizean hot sauces, Belizean worry dolls, and designer knock offs. That's where hubby drew the line..I believe his last words to me were how many purses can you buy on this trip. He was referring to the 2 bags I had purchased at retail in Fort Lauderdale the week before. But ladies (and gentlemen) these were good knock offs. I compared the Coach bag I was carrying with its simulated version...not bad for the untrained eye, the stamping not quite perfect, the hardware a little heavier, and the stitching was a slightly lighter colour....for a lot less money than I had paid in Fort Lauderdale. They had them all.. Coach, Dior, Fendi, Juicy, Louis Vuitton...you name it they had it. Each store had shelves and shelves of similar bags, but at different prices. I can't say that I'd ever seen so many purse stores in one small plaza. I bought my myself a little Fendi treat and one for my mom, as she was home watching my boys...even she had to look twice.

Happy shopping ladies (and gentlemen):p

actually I don't think it is... i just read an article about NY & it's only illegal to sell them.

Importation is illegal. And what do you think you are doing when you bring them back to the states....yep, importing them. Most likely you won't get caught, but Customs could seize the bag and cite you (unlikely...but it could happen). Your chances are pretty good though on getting it back without a problem. :)

Importation is illegal. And what do you think you are doing when you bring them back to the states....yep, importing them. Most likely you won't get caught, but Customs could seize the bag and cite you (unlikely...but it could happen). Your chances are pretty good though on getting it back without a problem. :)

Not only did customs and immigration not care, but when Air Canada neglected to do their job and over ride the security code on my ticket when they cancelled my flight, and rebooked me the next day on a one way ticket, less than 24 hours in advance to a destination different than the one I had originated; I was forced to undergo a very thorough personal search, which did include an upclose and personal search of the Fendi tote bag I purchased in Belize.

I just asked this question while on a trip to China, I wanted to bring back a purse or 2 and a watch, I was told by Customs that you can bring back one knock off watch and 2 purses and trust me , they searched the bagd to see if anyone had tryed to bring back more, a few people that brought back more had to choose which ones they wanted to keep and which ones they wanted to give up to customs.

So, it's not Importing unless you are bringing more than the legal limit into the country.

hello thank you very much for the info. is the tourism village right at pier or if not how do u get there? we will be on ncl.

Belize is a tender port, so if you are taking an excursion that involves water, they will pick you up at the ship and bring you back to the ship, and if there is still time you can tender to Belize itself. If you tender to Belize for a land excursion or just to visit the port, then yes they bring you directly to the Tourism Village. It is really the only place to shop. We took the city tour, and it was very eye opening. The poverty really humbles you.

Thanks for the info. I guess I know where I will be shopping.

Are they as good as the bags in the bahamas?

Don't know...never been. But yes they were good...and certainly gave Canal Street a run for their money. Don't pay the prices on the tags...they will deal. Like I said in my original post...if you compare them side by side with the real thing, you will see the small differences. But then again, I paid a heck of lot more for my Coach bag in Fort Lauderdale. So for what I paid...yes they were good. And for those of you who say I would never buy a knock off...then consider it to be just another noname handbag...and with that in mind...it's still a good deal. They also had a good selection of the wallets as well.

Happy shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Nassau (13 bags brought home) and a cruise out of San Juan. I think between San Juan, St. Thomas & Aruba I had 15 or 16 bags. I buy a few for myself then gifts for friends. etc. I always space them out throughout my luggage. What customs watches out for are skins. My friend with me did get questioned because she had several that would have been more then the allowable skins to bring back in. Once she convinced him they were knock offs everything was fine. She had at least 20. They also get afraid you are bringing them into sell in the Us. Just space them out & you will be fine.

I am booked on The Legend in August. I am so glad to hear there is someplace in Belize. I just returned from The Triumph & could not find any in Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Ocho Rios ( a few Louis' but pricey).

I am getting excited now!!!!!!!

I have a daughter than may be interested in a juicy knockoff. Can you tell me what the average cost of the bags are?

Three weeks ago I saw a few Juicy bags. They were larger velour bags, pink, green and blue. I think they were between $35 and $50. Very cute, but....too young for me, and I have boys, so I didn't give them much notice. They do bargain, so son't pay the price on the tag.

I am so glad to hear there is someplace in Belize. I just returned from The Triumph & could not find any in Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Ocho Rios ( a few Louis' but pricey).

I am getting excited now!!!!!!!

Not just someplace...there were at least 5 purse stores:p and good prices. LV small denim $20. Fendi tagged $45.00 each....bought 2 for $70. Wallets: various designers $10.00. Cellphone cases $15.

I saw a couple of really cute knock off bags while in port in Belize. I wish i had bought one but I resisted. I did buy a couple of pairs of knock off sunglasses....a pair of CC and Oakley, both broke after a couple of days. The CC glasses need a new screw to hold the arm so that is fixable, but the Oakley pair broke down the middle of the frame.

Archived