FANTASY - tell me about it

coachwardog

I took my first cruise from 22 through 27 January on the Fantasy. Beforehand, I read a lot about the ship and other cruise subjects on these boards.

Some of the gripes I read:

-She’s an old ship which is showing her age.

I saw no sign of that. Everything appeared to be in good repair. The painted

and/or cloth surfaces appeared fresh and clean.

-Cabins are small, especially the bathrooms.

I was pleased when I saw my cabin. While not huge it was certainly

adequate. The bathroom seemed as large as in some motel rooms I have

stayed in.

I TRIED to think of some criticism(s).

-The deck plans refer to the various decks by name (Empress, Lido, etc.) Sometimes in the PA announcements they refer to them by number - confusing - they need to be consistent.

In the PA announcements they also mention “The Purser’s Desk” with regard to many things. You will find it under the sign that says “Information”. You will not find a sign that says “Pursers Desk”. Again, they need to be consistent.

These are very petty gripes … as I said I was TRYING to think of something to criticize.

Bottom line - Very good! Good ship, good food, good service, good time!

I wanna go again soon … make that NOW!

joe

We sailed on the Fantasy in 2003, this past December and are headed out again next month.

She is a good size. She has an atrium (which the Holiday does not). To me this just adds to the cruising experience.

She does have a dedicated Club 02 room if you have any 15-17 sailing with you. She has putt putt golf...not the best, but it is there.

The only complaint is that currently the pitch control on the karaoke machine is broken so I had to rip, alter and burn some new custom cdgs so that my songs are all already in the key I need them in. Very few karaoke people worry about the key a song is done it. (Most probably don't even know you have the key altered normally) ... so I doubt it gets fixed any time soon.

Anyway, it was an issue in December ...but I am prepared for March.

Food was good. Service was good. LOVE the new terminal in New Orleans!!

Have a great cruise.

LHP, PLEASE quit going on and on about karayoke. It must be im portant to you but to most cruisers they could care less.

In response to the OP, Fantasy is a wonderful ship. I, too was on her Jan. 22 sailing. What a blast!!!:D To the complainers out there, one of the aft deck bathrooms was out of service while I was there. Now, maybe everyone is satisfied!:cool:

LHP, PLEASE quit going on and on about karayoke. It must be im portant to you but to most cruisers they could care less.

In response to the OP, Fantasy is a wonderful ship. I, too was on her Jan. 22 sailing. What a blast!!!:D To the complainers out there, one of the aft deck bathrooms was out of service while I was there. Now, maybe everyone is satisfied!:cool:

Amazing...you have been on these boards 3 months (and on 2 cruises) and you know what MOST cruisers care about. You must be psychic. Read my mind!

Here is a clue...block my posts, so that your sensitive eyes don't have to be stressed.

After 25 years, we would not even begin to assume what other cruisers want to know ... much less tell them what they think should be "important".

The Fantasy is a great ship!! She may be one of the older ships, but it definitely doesn't show. I LOVE the redesigned Promenade Deck, and I think the shower in the cabin was the biggest cruise ship shower I've ever had. I can't think of any complaints I had - embarkation and debarkation were also the best I've ever experienced!

LHP,

I confess that I find your focus on karaoke a bit odd (I am not a singer/performer) but one thing I have learned just reading these boards is that all sorts of people have different "important" reasons for cruising and/or choosing ships. ;)

Also, if the worst thing about the Fantasy is that the pitch control on the karaoke machine is off, I am going to have a fantastic time when we leave on March 15. So yes, I will be on the sailing with you and will stop in to hear you.

regards

Yes- the worst thing about the Fantasy IS the key problem on the karaoke- but the karaoke is VERY important to a lot of people. I was on that same cruise with LHP in December and if you had been there, you would know that even people like me and my husband who NEVER stick around for karoke went back night after night to watch actual singing talent like LHP and a few others. The father and son "Freebird" being crashed by the "too sexy for my shirt" drunk wedding guy was just funny!

The worst thing about the Fantasy is the cruise doesn't last long enough.

Actually, karaoke is one of the more popular activities on the Fantasy, packed every night, often standing room only.

LHP is one of the highlights of Fantasy's karaoke, always drawing a huge applause that is quite well deserved!

LHP,

I confess that I find your focus on karaoke a bit odd (I am not a singer/performer) but one thing I have learned just reading these boards is that all sorts of people have different "important" reasons for cruising and/or choosing ships. ;)

Also, if the worst thing about the Fantasy is that the pitch control on the karaoke machine is off, I am going to have a fantastic time when we leave on March 15. So yes, I will be on the sailing with you and will stop in to hear you.

regards

Glad you will be sailing with us. We have a small (but mighty) Roll Call going. One of the CCers sailing with us is getting married and will have almost 60 friends and family. And another is celebrating her birthday. Lots of celebrating.

To explain about the karaoke, I used to sing in a band years ago (when Moby Dick was a tadpole). Obviously, I am just average because I was not good enough to make a career of it. Karaoke is one of the main reasons I cruise, because Carnival provides a safe (and usually smokefree) environment to do what I love.

Sadly, the places around where I live that offer karaoke are either "biker bars" or to long a drive for us (we have a 15 year old special needs child that can only stay by himself for short periods of time).

So to me karaoke is as important as food is to a foodie, or sunbathing is to a sun god (or goddess) or gambling is to someone who loves it. So you are so right when you say there are all sorts of subjects discussed.

I don't "cruise for food" but I certainly don't belittle the umpteenth thousand posts about it. I don't sunbath, but I certainly don't question the umpteenth thousand posts about chair hogs. I don't gamble, but I don't tell folks they should not ask questions or discuss it.

I had been planning to convert my CDGS to custom ones for awhile, so the Fantasy actually did me a favor. It got me off my fanny to get it done!!!

The other good news is that Dakota will be in the Cat's Lounge and they are excellent. They have a wicked guitar player!!

The Fantasy is a wonderful ship. staff and crew. Obviously we had a great time because we are headed that way just 3 months after sailing her in December!!!

See you there...I will be the one hogging karaoke!!!! :eek:

The worst thing about the Fantasy is the cruise doesn't last long enough.

Actually, karaoke is one of the more popular activities on the Fantasy, packed every night, often standing room only.

LHP is one of the highlights of Fantasy's karaoke, always drawing a huge applause that is quite well deserved!

You are tooo kind. My only regret is that the ladies were not able to get up there with me for our rendition of Midnight Train to Georgia. (again, because I do not do that song in the original key...it must be altered)

Yes- the worst thing about the Fantasy IS the key problem on the karaoke- but the karaoke is VERY important to a lot of people. I was on that same cruise with LHP in December and if you had been there, you would know that even people like me and my husband who NEVER stick around for karoke went back night after night to watch actual singing talent like LHP and a few others. The father and son "Freebird" being crashed by the "too sexy for my shirt" drunk wedding guy was just funny!

The "Little Rock Boys" stilled ROCKED! (despite the drunk wedding guy around their neck)

I just talked to Noonan (Asst. CD) on the Fantasy ~~while they were in the New Orleans port this morning~~~ and they have replaced the karaoke player...so all should be good to go!!! He said they got right on it after I emailed him that I was returning on the 15th of March!

Thanks guys..you are the best!!

The Fantasy is great! I just sailed the Fantasy on 1-6-07 and it was beutiful! We had such a great group that we sailed with that it would have been hard not to enjoy it. As for the ship...It is great! and the ports are fun! The staff are fun and friendly! It's an older ship but I couldn't tell much.

Hey, LHP. I apologize.:) I didn't think karayouke was that big a deal. When I was on Fantasy, the karayoke room was on ly full the last night, the other nights maybe 10-20 people in there. I know b/c I had my nightly after dinner cigar in the Majestic lounge. I didn't mean to step on your toes, just seemed like every post I read had to do with karayoke. I certainly don't have any knowledge of what most cruisers want.

I retract my statement.:o On the lighter side, and something we CAN agree on, HOW BOUT THEM TIGERS!!!!!:D

Hey, LHP. I apologize.:) I didn't think karayouke was that big a deal. When I was on Fantasy, the karayoke room was on ly full the last night, the other nights maybe 10-20 people in there. I know b/c I had my nightly after dinner cigar in the Majestic lounge. I didn't mean to step on your toes, just seemed like every post I read had to do with karayoke. I certainly don't have any knowledge of what most cruisers want.

I retract my statement.:o On the lighter side, and something we CAN agree on, HOW BOUT THEM TIGERS!!!!!:D

No problem...everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the ship sometimes...even me!! Fortunately (for me at least) the lounge has been packed on every cruise we have sailed. I know one day it will fade away, but until then...I intend to use it to the fullest!!!

Happy Cruising!!

GO TIGERS!!! (and Eagles ~ I have a son at Tennessee Tech!!)

Archived