New to Regent - Mariner March 30/2007

jochenwb

Hi,

we are new to Regent and booked on the Mariner leaving FLL March 30.

Are there any reservations required for the restaurants and how to do them (in advance)?

Thanks!

Jochen

Frankfurt/Germany

The two upscale restaurants, Signatures and Latutudes, require advance reservations. You can request them online in the "my cruises" section of the Regent website beginning 28 days in advance of departure, or on onboard upon embarkation or later.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Paul

Having just completed my first cruise on Regent, I can tell you that you are in for a treat. Great food and outstanding service.

The prevoius post covers the restaurant reservation requirements, but I thought I'd add a suggestion that we did that was great. It's not publicized, but if you go to the reception desk you can sign up for a tour of the galley. The head chef walked us through how it all comes together "behind the scenes" and it was fascinating. They'll schedule it and let you know when it will happen, but it's a lot of fun. And boy, is that kitchen CLEAN! :)

They also schedule tours of the bridge the same way, so if that's your thing, be sure to sign up.

Enjoy your time!

On line, in advance of your cruise, you can make only one booking for Signatures and one for Latitudes. If you make these bookings on line, you can't make extra reservations on board on embarkation day. If you want to make repeat visits to these restaurants, you can make reservations later in the cruise if there is space available.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on this same cruise with our 15 year old son. You are definitely in for a treat. Its a wonderful ship. She will be coming out of dry dock and the president of the cruise line will also be on board. We enjoy all of the restaurants. There will probably be a wine tasting on one of the sea days so we highly recommend that. If you are travelling with children we cannot say enough about the youth program on board.

It's not publicized, but if you go to the reception desk you can sign up for a tour of the galley. The head chef walked us through how it all comes together "behind the scenes" and it was fascinating. They'll schedule it and let you know when it will happen, but it's a lot of fun. And boy, is that kitchen CLEAN! :)

They also schedule tours of the bridge the same way, so if that's your thing, be sure to sign up.

Porterhouse248

How in the world did you find out about these tours? They sound really

great! Does anyone know if they do this on all the boats? Navigator?

Thanks for your answers.

Our documents arrived yesterday from Vistatravel being the representative of Regent in Germany.

It also included a printed catalogue of the shore excursions. I was surprised to see that our cruise contains a stop at Stirrup Cay on the second day. This stop is not listed on Regent's website.

Does anyone has information about the exact itinerary?

Jochen

Germany

We are on this same cruise with our 15 year old son. You are definitely in for a treat. Its a wonderful ship. She will be coming out of dry dock and the president of the cruise line will also be on board. We enjoy all of the restaurants. There will probably be a wine tasting on one of the sea days so we highly recommend that. If you are travelling with children we cannot say enough about the youth program on board.

MamaQuack, do you know what will be changed or refurbished in the dry dock?

Jochen

Jochen:

Sorry to be off topic, but are you also known as John to a few "Geek" cruisers? (Think: MacMania 4.5)

On topic:

You'll love Regent!

Paul

see you in November, if you are still booked! :D

Sorry, Paul. But I really don't understand your off-topic posting!

Could you please help me... :-)

Sorry, Paul. But I really don't understand your off-topic posting!

Could you please help me... :-)

[Off topic] I'm sorry, Jochen...

I met a German fellow on a cruise last year with a similar name, and thought you might be "he"!!

[back to topic] I'm afraid I don't know what was done during drydock, but, with Regent being all-inclusive now, you'll have a wonderful time aboard the Mariner! I sailed the Voyager in late '05 as my only RSSC cruise, and was truly impressed....

Perhaps other posters will know more about the drydock question and reply to you....

Safe travels, and smooth sailing...

Paul

Oliverhazard, yes, the gallley and bridge tours are normally offered on all of the Regent ships. On the Paul Gauguin, where we've done the galley tour twice, we were served champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

Oliverhazard, yes, the gallley and bridge tours are normally offered on all of the Regent ships. On the Paul Gauguin, where we've done the galley tour twice, we were served champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

Thanks Kathy!! I told my hubby about it and he was very impressed

that I am doing "research" for our trip. I know that I will love the

galley and him the bridge. If there is champagne and ccstrawberries

I might just hide-a-way in there!! hehehe:p

Any other little things I might need to know about? How many times

have you been and which ships?:rolleyes: Is it hard to choose the

excursions and what should we look for??

OH

OH - We were on the inaugural cruise to Alaska on the Mariner in June 2001 with a post cruise extension to Denali. After that we've only considered RSSC, now Regent. In August/September 2004 we did two weeks back to back on the PG and loved it so much that we did an onboard booking for the 10-day PG itinerary in June 2005. We love snorkeling so we did about every excursion where snorkeling was included. Our two trips to FP included at least one night pre-cruise in Tahiti and a 3-night post cruise stay, first on Manihi then on Moorea. It would be hard to pick a favorite between those two islands - loved them both for different reasons.

You may request box lunches be packed for you by requesting them 24 hours in advance. You do this by speaking with the head waiter of one of the dining rooms. We did this on the PG for a day on Moorea when we rented a car for 4 hours to do some touring on our own and again on one of our days at Bora Bora when we went over to the private motu.

This year we're scheduled for a tour in Israel with our church and a week on the Outer Banks of NC with our kids and grandkids so no cruise planning for now.

Archived