St. Peters - Rome

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best way to get into St. Peters would be. I have been there many times before but usually with some form of guided tour, and never really had to wait much to get in. This time we just want to go on our own, I don't really need a guide inside, so I was wondering what the best way to approach this would be. I hear that the lines in the summer, which is when we will be there are very, very long.

Can anyone give me some tips or ideas that would help.

Thanks

Tony

All visitors have to use pass the security screening and there is just one line for individual visitors. The security is on the right side under the colonades when you look into the direction of the cathedrale.

Do not worry. Although the line might look quite long on busy days, it moves quickly.

You will enjoy coming back without a guide. It is a great feeling to "come home" to St. Peter's without having to follow the guide. There is a reason many Romans refer to St. Peter's as something like their extended living room.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best way to get into St. Peters would be. I have been there many times before but usually with some form of guided tour, and never really had to wait much to get in. This time we just want to go on our own, I don't really need a guide inside, so I was wondering what the best way to approach this would be. I hear that the lines in the summer, which is when we will be there are very, very long.

Can anyone give me some tips or ideas that would help.

Thanks

Tony

If you just want to go in the church or evening mass simply walk right in. The doors are pretty much alway's open you enter on the left side facing the front of the church.

Thank you so much for your postings, but I am a little confused. "CARLMM", you mentioned that there is a line on the right side facing the cathederal but it moves quickly. "NCO4242" you mentioned that we can go in whenever we want that the doors are open on the left side facing the cathederal. Can one or both of you clarify... I really appreciate you taking the time to respond but I just wanted to make it clear in my mind. Also is there a better time of the day, is afternoon better than morning? I will not be going to visit the vatican, have been there many times just want to go into St. Peters.

One last thing on another thread "CARLMM" you mention Holy Mass is celebrated at St. Peters at 8.30-9-10-11-12-17. Is that every day and is it in a chapel in St. Peters?

Thank you all once again for your help.

Regards,

Tony

You CANNOT just walk in. You have to go through security screening first. They will also not allow you if you are wearing shorts or with bare shoulders. They are very strict about this now (didn't used to be).

cruiser53, you are right, the information is contradictory. So, what is the most recent information?

Years ago you were able to enter the basilica without any screening, yet in the last couple of years this has changed. My most recent visit was in summer of last year.

Maybe it has changed again and nco4242 has newer information?

The mass schedule is from the Vatican's homepage. It does not specify any day of the week. About the actual site of the mass I can just speculate. When I attended mass on normal days it was either behind the main altar or in a transept. Only on holidays or for special occasions mass was celebrated at the main altar by the Pope or a Cardinal.

Hi Tony

You can easily take a taxi to St. Peter's -- there is a taxi stand right across the street in a small square so I imagine they will also drop you there. As to lines, summer, well I have found that if you go later in the day it's a bit easier. OR you could try right when they open -- the reason I say this is that most people do the Vatican Museum first thing, and then go into the church so you may avoid this by going early. I have been in the middle of the afternoon off-season and the lines were ridiculous but much more practical in the afternoon. Check for admission times and see if you can get there a bit more than an hour before they close. Bring minimal items as this will hasten your security check -- all bags are xrayed so make sure you take proper precautions with any film or photographic equipment.

I don't know about the new Pope, but in the past Wednesdays were the most crowded as that was the day the Pope granted audience.

It is such an awesome place we try to go there whenever we are in Rome! Good luck!

Terri

Archived