Anyone been lucky using Carnival air flying out of Toronto?

newtocruising99

Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone here has departed toronto using carnival air and made it on time for the cruise?

we are leaving march 10th from toronto, connecting through chicago and finally if all go as planned, we are scheduled to land in orlando at 12:30pm...( i know crazy)

Pam

For what it's worth, that is the start of spring break, and one of the busiest travel days of the year, so that's probably why the funky arrangements. Friends of ours are flying down the following week and were to connect through Montreal to FLL. They asked the TA to get on the direct YYZ-FLL flight, paid the deviation and got it.

I'm not an experienced traveller, so this 1st time air experience was quite stressful for me...

We flew out of Toronto for the New Years cruise on the Ecstasy. Original plans were to fly Toronto to Dallas on American, then Dallas to Houston on Continental, then to get the shuttle to Galveston. The first flight to Dallas was delayed due to bad weather in Dallas, and we would definately have missed the connecting flight to Houston. Called the Carnival # quite early in the morning (as soon as we realized the 1st flight was delayed) but at that time in the morning (around 3am) there wasn't anyone available that would help us rearrange the flights. The person that answered the phone suggested we stay in Toronto, and that Carnival would arrange to get us to the first port of Cozumel, but that would have meant missing 2 days of the cruise as well as New Years eve on the ship!! Didn't like that idea, so we decided to get to Pearson and try to work out arrangements ourselves. Ended up working with a lovely lady at American Airlines and switching the flights at the AA counter to a Toronto to Chicago, then Chicago to Houston. Arrived in Houston so late that we missed the last shuttle from Houston, but Carnival ended up putting us in a cab (with some other guy's lost luggage as well) and we literally sped at 100 mph to the pier. (the cab driver was a maniac!!) We didn't get to the peir until about 3:45 and the ship was to leave at 4:00! Luckily for us the ship was delayed leaving for technical reasons, so we made it on board.

I guess to summarize based on my experience...the flights that Carnival arranged for us from Toronto would have been just fine if they had left on time and both been on schedule, but as it was we would have very easily missed the ship if we hadn't been checking flight status the night before. The GTAA has a good site for checking flight status in Toronto. I suppose you really are at the mercy of the weather. Heading to the pier city the day before definately sounds like it could be less stressful...but booking through Carnival seems to be more convenient and possibly more economical in some cases...

Now I'm hoping my Carnival arranged flight(s) to Rome in 2008 work out a bit more smoothly than this trip did!!

Archived