items to take with children

sm76

we wil be going to the Caribbean the first time this spring. We plan to spend lots of time at the beach. I will be taking beach toys and life jacket. I know I need lots of sunscreen but what other stuff should I take. My son is worried about jelly fish and of course sharks so we will just be on the shore playing. should I buy water shoes? my husband might like to snorkel. any advice would be great. thank you:)

I have 2 sons. we've been on 5 carribean cruises and we go to hawaii every year. We NEVER take beach shoes, kids hate them. Most beaches you go to on a cruise have snorkel gear for rent, we bring our own mask and snorkel, but always rent fins and life preservers. I never go to a beach without desitin ( for boys bathing suit rashes), baby powder to remove sand easily, and a water sqirty fan, to keep momma cool. hope this helps.

we wil be going to the Caribbean the first time this spring. We plan to spend lots of time at the beach. I will be taking beach toys and life jacket. I know I need lots of sunscreen but what other stuff should I take. My son is worried about jelly fish and of course sharks so we will just be on the shore playing. should I buy water shoes? my husband might like to snorkel. any advice would be great. thank you:)

My sons are serious beach goers, theyv'e been on 5 carribean cruises. I Never take beach shoes, we always bring our own snorkel and mask and rent fins and preservers-most of the beaches in ports have these available. Most important I bring desitin creme for bathing suit rashes, baby powder to remove excess sand and a water squirty fan to keep momma cool and relaxed!

Sand socks and Safe sea! Beach shoes are cumbersome, sand socks aren't. Safe sea allegedly protects against sea lice (jellyfish larva) and is sunscreen. I haven't tried it yet, but will using it on our May cruise since its sea lice season.

• 2 weeks later...

We brought a lifejacket for the baby and never really used it except for boat drill, because the ship did not have any jackets suitable for her. (She is tiny for a toddler and big for a baby, and putting her in the armless infant float was Not Acceptable.

Solarveil for sun protection, and long-sleeved bathing suits for the baby--I never put sunblock on her and she did not get burned once.

I highly recommend semisubmersibles for shore excursions with small children. The glass bottom boat was *awful* and felt unsafe, but the semisubmersible was fantastic and becuase it was enclosed, gave my baby an amazing view *and* freedom to move. If it looks like a motorboat, stay away. If you have to go down stairs to get to the viewing area, that's the one to do. The baby LOVED it and we took little camera-videos and she still giggles at the fish.

Archived