What to look for and where to purchase snorkel equipment?

Conanc

Hi,

My husband and I will be on a Western Caribbean cruise aboard the EOS. We are also going to the Mayan Riviera for 7 days in November. We would like to purchase our own snorkeling equipment and are beginners so we don't know what to look for or where we should purchase the equipment. We don't want to purchase fins since they are too bulky to travel with. We thought maybe we could pick up some good buys this time of year - does anyone have any advice or suggestions for us?

Thanks so much!

Nancy

Get masks that have silicon skirts and real glass lenses. Check for fit with the snorkel in your mouth since having the snorkel in your mouth changes the shape of your face. You want the mask to fit best with the snorkel in your mouth. Polish the glass lens with tooth paste (not gel) for a couple of minutes. Use your finger tips and just rub the paste into the glass. This will clean the silicon residue off the glass and help to reduce the fogging of the lens. It won't hurt real glass. For anti fog, a number of solutions work. The ever-present spit does OK. Diluted green Palmolive dish shop works great. Baby shampoo works too. There are many commercial products for antifog.

Costco is a good place for a cheap snorkel/mask set. The best place for the highest quality mask and probably the best customer service will be your local dive shop, especially if you need prescription lenses in your mask.

I second what Bruce has suggested. Quality and fit will make a world of difference in the enjoyment you have while snorkeling. Nothing will disappoint you more than if you can't see, or your mask is continually flooding.

I know you don't want to purchase fins, but a fin problem is what led me to purchase all of our own equipment for my wife and myself. Using rental equipment I was given fins that turned out to be a poor fit. On the first snorkeling excursion the fins wore off the skin on the tops of both feet. For the rest of the cruise I found it hard to wear shoes, much less put my raw feet back in saltwater. Now, we never travel without our own full compliment of equipment.

The best place to buy is at a local scuba diving shop. They may be more expensive but they know what they are talking about when it comes to quality and fit. You can also usually find a "waterless" snorkel there, which is designed to prevent most water from entering the snorkel even when you dive underwater.

My wife and I both use corrective lenses in our masks. She uses a full corrective lens while I use a reading type lens only big enough to allow me to see my underwater camera screen and controls. The dive shop had these put in for both of us.

Don't hesitate to ask for a package deal at the dive shop. I always do and they always give me one. I've saved from 10%-25% over their posted prices.

I would recommend you purchase a mask, snorkel, fins, and safety vest. And remember, you don't have to buy scuba diving fins, they do make smaller, less expensive fins designed for snorkeling. I have a pair of these in addition to my scuba fins.

You will spend more money at the dive shop for your equipment. But remember, you will be buying quality. We have been using the same equipment for about 12 years. The only piece of equipment that needed to be replaced was my mask, which receives double duty with my scuba diving and snorkeling. The mask was finally replaced this year after a tear occurred in the silicone skirt. My wife's equipment is still going strong, while it too receives double duty. Her sister borrows it when they cruise. You'll never regret spending a couple of extra dollars now.

I'll second the suggestion to check at Costco. Their mask/snorkel sets are good quality for snorkeling, and for me, the mask fits me so well that I'm able to use it for diving. We bought our set 10 years ago for about $22 and still use both sets of fins, and my mask and snorkel. My husband lost his snorkel awhile back and the mask didn't fit his face well enough to dive, but he can still wear it to snorkel if he wants. It's nice to have a backup mask anyway when you dive. ;-)

The prices are comparable to any sporting goods store. The BIG PLUS is the salespeople know how to fit you with snorkel gear. DH bought snorkel gear at sporting goods store. Never had a good fit, always leaked, etc. Went to local dive store and got fitted for mask and snorkel. He hasn't had a single problem since.

Good luck! Once you start snorkeling, you're hooked. If you know you plan on cruising/vacationing in areas where you can snorkel, spend the money and get the better stuff. I have had my gear for over 14 years now. Still works great! DH has had his for 4 years. I'm the one who got him hooked on our honeymoon. He stole my gear every port we were in so I didn't get to do much! Bought his own the next year!

Archived