Antigua Island Escape

cruisingrl77

My husband and I have scoured over excursion information and finally decided on the Antigua Island Escape. Went to NCL's website to pre-book it, and it is no longer posted as an option. Anyone have any information or knowledge about that?

Deciding what to do at the ports has been a very trying experience! We are both just the type of people who like to hang out at a beach for as long as possible. I'm finding that there aren't a lot of excursions that just take you to the beach and leave you there for as long as possible. Is this because most people who choose to do this just take a taxi? Any advice will be very appreciated. We're sailing on the Jewel, March 4th.

Thanks!

My husband and I have scoured over excursion information and finally decided on the Antigua Island Escape. Went to NCL's website to pre-book it, and it is no longer posted as an option. Anyone have any information or knowledge about that?

Deciding what to do at the ports has been a very trying experience! We are both just the type of people who like to hang out at a beach for as long as possible. I'm finding that there aren't a lot of excursions that just take you to the beach and leave you there for as long as possible. Is this because most people who choose to do this just take a taxi? Any advice will be very appreciated. We're sailing on the Jewel, March 4th.

Thanks!

Yes, just take a taxi!!!! Must all the ports have many of them waiting for your dollars as you get off the ship.

In Antigua in Nov. on the Spirit we had Nelson and for $20 pp he took as on a nice island tour and then dropped us at the beach we did horseback riding and then stayed at the beach he was there right on time to pick you up. If all you want is beach time tell them.

Antigua had so many it can be overwhelming. Just tell them what you want ask around for the best price and they will give you what you want.

Ask for Nelson if you want he was good.

We signed up for the Antigua Island Escape for our 3/16 cruise on the Pearl. I also noticed it had disappeared from the website. I called NCL's shore excursion desk this week and asked about it and was told that they still show it as available for booking. I'm planning to double check right away when we get on the ship though just in case something has changed.

I was on the Jewel 2 weeks ago and we booked Antigua Island escape on the ship (the first day). I really recommand it.. we had a wonderful time. If you want, they show you how to do snorkling (The gear is include in the price). We were even able to see a sea turtle.. It was a wonderful day!!!

Antiqua is a beautiful Island that boasts 365 beaches. The people are extremely friendly. Though shore excurisions booked through the ships are great and you will not be disappointed by them there is really no need to book one if all you are looking for is a trip to the beach. We took a taxi to Dickerson Bay beach. the cost was $ 3 per person. (there was 4 of us) The beach had chair rentals $5, and a bar, and various activities on one end were you could rent jet skis, paddle bikes etc. There were not to many venders and they were not pushy. If you want to spend as much time as possible on the beach getting a taxi may be the way to go, you can set your own time to return - obviously in time to return to the ship. With booked shore excurision you are subjected to their return time. We arranged for our taxi driver to pick us back up at a certain time and he was there no problem. In fact we were early and a few other taxi drivers seeing us waiting asked if we needed a ride, when we told them we had one arranged and told them the drivers name and number they all said oh don't worry he will be here. I though this was inpressive as they did not try to uncut the other guy.

Enjoy your day in Antigua it was one of our favorite Islands.

thank you all for your information! my husband and I have not traveled very much, so I think we felt we needed the security of a booked excursion. reading the board makes me realize that people take taxi's all the time and still make it back to ship before it departs. :) we need to be brave, independent travelers! :)

If anyone else has any recommendations for st. thomas, antigua, and san juan, let me know!!! hope you all enjoy any upcoming cruises you're going on as well.

In St. Thomas you will have no problems hiring a taxi. St. Thomas is a U.S. port and very developed, there is plenty of shopping but only a couple of beaches that are not that close to the pier. However a taxi again is no problem. We did arrange a ship based shore excurision here, they took us shopping and then to the beach. In hind sight we could have saved some dollars and hired a taxi on our own and done the same thing. Everywhere we went taxi's were offering their services. Both here and in Antigua we felt very safe. My wife especially had the same fears as you prior to sailing, and since St. Thomas was our first stop she wanted to arrange a ship based shore excurision until we got the feel of things. Both of these Islands are extreemly dependent on tourists. This is not to say that something can't happen, take normal precautions (safe guarding you money, limiting your cash, protecting your wallet etc) and you should have no problems. If possible try to hook up with another couple, if only to share costs of taxi's, plus you will feel safer with 4 then 2. We felt safer in these Islands then in many U.S. cities downtowns. On this site look up the roll calls and see if there is a listing for your ship and sale date, we met many people this way. We have no experience with San Juan hopefully someone can give you some advise for this port, you can also look up the various ports through this site also and there will be many tips for the various ports of call.

Good luck, relax and have fun. i wish we had an up coming cruise. Next one is not until Dec/07

Coki beach in St. Thomas is close and fantastic. Still need a taxi to get you there. Same deal as Antigua - get a cabbie at the end of the dock and they'll arrange to be back at a certain time. Beach chairs, snorkel equipment and a locker - $35.00 - for two. Lots of vendors, refreshments etc. I'd go again in a minute. The water is chrystal clear - and lots of friendly fish :) We had booked with NCL Exc desk - but were told to take a cab - Depending on your time in port - should work out well. I hear Sapphire beach is beautiful as well. Check out the Port of Call board for other suggestions that may be helpful.

Have a great cruise.

Last November off the Jewel, we got a day pass for Jolly Beach Resort. Just took a taxi, it's not too far from the pier. It was absolutely gorgeous! Good luck with your decision. I know it's hard to decide.

We'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Archived