Some of the best things to see in St. Thomas are underwater

bruce-r

I was in St. Thomas in December aboard HAL's Zuiderdam. Very nice ship, very friendly crew.

I did a 3 tank dive trip with http://www.admiraltydive.com I highly recommend them. They had pretty much everything I look for in a warm water dive operator: convenient pickup at the cruise pier, small boat/ small group, more advanced dive sites, and excellent customer service.

The first site was W.I.T. Shoal: The premier dive of the Virgin Islands. 400+ foot freighter, laying upright in 90+ feet of crystal blue water. Home for large Jew fish, snappers, roaming pelagics, turtles and tropicals. A photographer's dream, as light penetrates the holds and passage ways. Penetrate the ship by entering the smoke stack openings, enter the very soul of the W.I.T. Shoal. (Advanced dive) (quoted from their website)

s4.jpgs2.jpgs1.jpg

Second dive was Saba Rocks. Lots of fish including barracuda.

l21.jpg

The third dive was Flat Cay. A fairly shallow dive on a pretty health reef with lots to see.

l14.jpg

The rest of the photos can be seen St. Thomas Underwater Photo Gallery

I was in St. Thomas in December aboard HAL's Zuiderdam. Very nice ship, very friendly crew.

I did a 3 tank dive trip with http://www.admiraltydive.com I highly recommend them. They had pretty much everything I look for in a warm water dive operator: convenient pickup at the cruise pier, small boat/ small group, more advanced dive sites, and excellent customer service.

The first site was W.I.T. Shoal: The premier dive of the Virgin Islands. 400+ foot freighter, laying upright in 90+ feet of crystal blue water. Home for large Jew fish, snappers, roaming pelagics, turtles and tropicals. A photographer's dream, as light penetrates the holds and passage ways. Penetrate the ship by entering the smoke stack openings, enter the very soul of the W.I.T. Shoal. (Advanced dive) (quoted from their website)

What kind of camera did you use? Your photos are beautiful!

What kind of camera did you use? Your photos are beautiful!

Thank you.

These photos were taken with an Olympus C5050 in the matching Olympus underwater housing. No external strobe, only the internal flash was used. Any photo editing has been done using Photoshop Elements. The St Thomas photos have only been resized, no other editing was done.

Both Olympus and Canon make housings for a number of their cameras.

The only camera I would be willing to sacrifice to underwater housing mishaps is my canon sd630 but I dont think it will do that well underwater. I know it should do better than the disposables though!

Definitely better than disposables. I think that in most cases disposable cameras tend to produce disposable photos.

The only camera I would be willing to sacrifice to underwater housing mishaps is my canon sd630 but I dont think it will do that well underwater. I know it should do better than the disposables though!

I will look into some options. Thanks!

DH, DD and I did a land vacation in the Virgin Islands this past summer and we purchased the Canon u/w housing for our A610 and we had so much fun with it, much better than the disposables. Here's a few photos I took, no editing other than being resized.

Bruce-r, Great shots!!

USVI_JUN06126.jpg

StJohnUnderwater1_barracuda.jpg

StJohnUnderwater3.jpg

StJohnUnderwater7.jpg

USVI_JUN06139.jpg

DH, DD and I did a land vacation in the Virgin Islands this past summer and we purchased the Canon u/w housing for our A610 and we had so much fun with it, much better than the disposables. Here's a few photos I took, no editing other than being resized.

Bruce-r, Great shots!!

Thanks.

Your photos are pretty good too. Nice parrot fish. I keep trying to get a good shot of those to show their wild colors but so far I haven't got one that I really like.

Thanks Jeanne B, there is hope yet! Your pictures turned out fine! I guess I better go ahead and order that housing now.

Archived