First time cruiser here...Help!?!

michele67

undefinedundefinedundefined

My friend and I are going on our FIRST cruise in November...we are going on the Ecstasy to Mexico on a promotion for an 80's music station here in Houston!! We are soooo EXCITED!! So now for my ???'s......I have been lurking around here for a few days...what a great place for info...

1. How much do alcoholic drinks generally cost? :D

2. Can you bring your own sodas on board?

3. If you've never had seasickness on just a regular boat..is it different on a

ship?

4. I think I am most nervous about embarking ...are we going to know what

to do when we get on the ship...

I'm sure I'll think of many more things...any help is great!! :)

Drink prices depend on what you drink (duh) and someone will post a complete list here pretty quick so I'll leave that for them

You can bring your own soda on board but just pack it in the luggage you will check with the porters as you arrive at the pier. There are mixed reports about making it on board with it in plain sight but you'd probably make it just fine. If you drink a lot of soda and like cocacola products a soda card that gives you unlimited soft drinks might be easier and even less expensive

If you are at all concerned that you migh suffer from motion discomfort I'd go to Walmart and ask the pharmacist for the generic version of "Bonine" an over the counter motion sickness prevention product. The trick is to take one every day, starting the day before your cruise, in the morning and in most cases you'll be fine. Thats what some in my family do and we don't really know if they'd have a problem without it or not. The ride is really not what you might imagine and surely not what you might have experienced in a small boat on a lake

Embarkatiion? Go early, ask a friendly Carnival Representative where you should be , go there and wait. They'll take it from there, you'll get on the ship and have a fabulous cruise.

Before you get there though, help youself ALOT by going to the Carnival website, looking up and maybe printing the deck plans for your ship and memorizing them. Your ship will look unbelievably huge when you first see it, a breathtaking sight you're won't soon forget, but after you get over the Wow factor those deck plans in your head will save you time getting to know your way around the ship, probably a half day, which will give you a better cruise experience.

Some things you'll want to do right after you get on the ship include

• Have lunch
  • Tour the shp
  • Check your dining room table assignment
  • Plan on being on deck for the ship's sail away from port- its a tradition

Here's more on all that which might be helpful but come here and ask ALL your questions, we're here to help:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/start_here

The Bottom Line Is Fun!!! :)

Don't Worry About Nothing, Just Have Fun In The Sun :) And When You Get Back You Will Be Lurking Alot More Because You Will Be Hooked And Planning Your Next Cruise!! :D

If you're taking any prescription, you probably can't take Bonine. (I was told definitely not by NCL staff, but I'm saying probably as I'm not a doctor) I've bought sea bands from the ship's gift shop twice. They work on accupressure points and have been highly effective for me with no side effects. There are 2 kinds, the sweatband style ($10) and the velcro band ($7). I have a set of both and prefer the sweatband style. I loaned them to a friend to help with morning sickness and didn't have the heart to ask for them back for our last cruise. You may find you don't need anything, though.

Expect $1.50 for a soda and $5.50-$5.95 for drink of the day (frozen drinks)

Hi,

My wife and I generally don't get seasick but we take Bonine anyway each morning beginning 24 hours before the cruise and have never had a problem. Don't worry about checking in, it's a piece of cake. Just follow the crowds. Carnival has plenty of folks to assist you if need be. Just remember to have all paperwork completed ahead of time. I assume you have a booking number already. If so, just complete the "funpass" forms on Carnival's website. Print them when you're done and you're good to go. They've never even asked to see mine but I have a folder I keep each cruise's info in just in case. One other suggestion is to get a passport if you have time. Even though a birth certificate and photo ID is sufficient, I think it's just easier to carry a passport. There's never any question when you have one and they're good for 10 years.

Don't worry, you'll have a great time and you'll be planning your next cruise before you get off this one. You'll be addicted just like the rest of us. Have fun!!!

My advice on seasickness worries....

If you are merely curious if you will get seasick, and the thought passes, you PROBABLY won't get seasick.

BUT, if the thoughts or anxiety about the possibilty of being seasick is semi present in your thoughts, take or do SOMETHING so your mind knows it's been taken care of.

I've seen people that fall in this category get seasick before the ship leaves the dock. They are rare.

:rolleyes:

As far as seasickness goes, generally being on a boat in a lake, or waterway or inside the channel will not cause one to get seasick... but being out in the ocean, deepsea fishing, etc... can cause some seasoned boat riders to get a little queasy. After 1000's of boat rides, I have been queasy only when deep sea fishing.... so I took ginger caps the first day of the cruise just in case and it was all good :D Better safe than sorry.... you can bring on a reasonable amount of soda/water (but remember, what you consider reasonable may not be what Carnival does... to be safe you can pack it with your checked luggage along with any "spirits" you may with to "sneak" on.... just remember there is always a chance this will be confiscated, although it is rare. The drink prices are below.... a 15% will be added as gratuity. Have a fun cruise!

Beers -

$3.25 Bud Light

$3.25 Budweiser

$3.75 Red Stripe

$3.25 Miller Lite

$4.25 Miller Lite 16 oz. Plastic Bottle

Specialty Beers:

$3.75 Heineken

$3.25 Coors Light

$3.75 Amstel Light

$3.75 Amber Bock

$3.75 Bass Ale

$3.75 Michelob Light

$3.25 Miller Genuine Draft

$3.75 Labatt Blue

$4.95 Grolsch (16 oz)

$3.75 Corona

$4.50 Guinness Pub Draft

$4.50 Boddington's

$5.75 Foster's Lager, 750 ml

Non-Alcoholic Beers:

$2.75 O'Doul's

$2.75 Buckler's

$2.75 Heineken

Cordials - Liqueurs - Cream Drinks -

$4.25 Amaretto Di Saronno

$4.25 B&B

$3.95 Blue Curacao

$3.95 Creme De Cacao, Brown

$3.95 Creme De Cacao, White

$4.25 Drambuie

$4.25 Galliano

$4.25 Baileys Irish Cream

$3.95 Creme De Menthe, Green

$3.95 Kirshwasser

$3.95 Peach Schnapps

$3.95 Creme De Menthe, White

$3.95 Sloe Gin

$3.95 Raspberry Liqueur

$4.25 Tia Maria

$3.95 Apricot Brandy

$3.95 Blackberry Brandy

$3.95 Cherry Brandy

$3.95 Creme De Banana

$4.25 Grand Marnier

$4.25 Kahlua

$3.95 Melon Liqueur

$3.95 Peppermint Schnapps

$4.25 Sambuca Romana

$4.25 Southern Comfort

$3.95 Triple Sec

$4.25 Cointreau

Sodas -

Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Club Soda, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Orange Soda

$1.00 Glass

$2.50 20 oz bottle

$1.50 12 oz can

$3.75 Souvenir Cup with Fountain Soda,

$1.75 Refill souvenir cup

$2.50 Powerade, 20 oz bottle

$1.50 Iced Tea

$2.95 Classic Iced Latte

Waters -

$1.95 Evian, France 0.5 ltr

$2.50 Perrier, France 6.5 oz

$3.25 Evian, France 1.5 ltr

$3.25 San Pellegrino, Italy, 1 ltr

$2.25 San Pellegrino, Italy 0.5 ltr

Hot Drinks -Main Bar Only

$0.75 Regular Coffee

$4.75 French Coffee

$0.75 Decaffeinated Coffee

$4.25 Irish Coffee

$0.75 Hot Tea

$4.25 Jamaican Coffee

$1.00 Herbal Tea

$1.95 Cappuccino

$1.50 Espresso

$1.50 Hot Chocolate

Wines and Champagne Glass/Bottle

Glass/Bottle

$0.00/$20.00 Asti, Martini & Rossi

$0.00/$55.00 Moet & Chandon, White Star

$4.50/$19.00 White Zinfandel, Beringer

$4.95/$22.00 Zinfandel, Fetzer

$4.50/$21.00 Korbel, Brut

$5.75/$25.00 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva

$5.50/$27.00 Sauvignon Blanc, Beringer

$5.95/$29.00 Fume Blanc, Robert Mondavi

$5.75/$25.00 Cabernet Sauvignon, Meridian

$5.75/$25.00 Chardonnay Reserva, Caliterra

$4.50/$20.00 Gamay Beaujolais, Beringer

$5.50/$27.00 Merlot, Columbia Crest

$5.75/$26.00 Chardonnay, Meridian

$4.50/ N/A Champagne Mimosa

$6.50/$29.00 Chardonnay, Beringer

$4.50/N/A Champagne Cocktail

Sherries and Aperitifs - $3.9

Bristol Cream

Campari

Dry Sack

Pernod

Tio Pepe

Martini & Rossi, Sweet

Martini & Rossi, Dry

Ports

$3.50 Cockburn's Special Reserve

$9.95 Dow's 20 Year Tawny

$4.50 Dow's late Bottled Vintage

$12.95 Dow's Vintage Port, '85

$5.25 Graham's Six Grape

Cognacs and Brandy -

$3.95 Fundador, Brandy

$5.25 Hennessy V.S.O.P.

$4.50 Courvoisier V.S.

$3.95 Domet Napoleon V.S.O.P.

$9.50 Hardy, X.O.

$9.95 Pinar Del Rio, Gautier X.O.

$5.75 Hardy, V.S.O.P.

$6.00 Cles Des Ducs Armagnac, V.S.O.P

$11.00 Hennessy, X.O

Specialty Cocktails Frozen Exotic

$3.95 Blue Margarita

$3.95 Goombay Smash

$3.95 Margarita

$3.95 Planter's Punch

$3.95 Ultimate Suntan

$3.95 Caribbean Breeze

$3.95 Island Delight

$3.95 Mexicana Mama

$3.95 Riviera Delight

$3.95 Yellowbird

$3.95 Bahama Mama

Coolers and Breezers

$3.50 Bacardi Breeze

$3.50 Calypso Berry

$3.50 Bartles & Jaymes

Frozen Exotic Cocktails

$4.75 Banana Daiquiri

$4.75 Dirty Banana

$4.75 Margarita

$4.75 Mudslide Original

$4.75 Pink Lemonade

$4.75 Rum Runner

$4.75 Cappuccino

$4.75 Mango Daiquiri

$4.75 Miami Vice

$4.75 Pina Colada

$4.75 Raspberry Daiquiri

$4.75 Strawberry Daiquiri

Smoothies - $3.50

Non Alcoholic smoothies are available in all flavors listed above

Shooters and Slammers - $3.95

Alabama Slammer

B-52

Kamikaze

Limon Drop

Woo-woo

Scotches

$3.95 Dewar's White Label

$3.95 Johnnie Walker Red

$3.95 J & B

$3.95 Jameson Irish Whiskey

$4.50 Chivas Regal

$4.50 Johnnie Walker Black

Bourbon and Blends

$3.95 Canadian Club

$3.95 Jim Beam

$3.95 Old Grand Dad

$3.95 Seagram's 7

$3.95 Seagram's V.O.

$3.75 Wild Turkey

$4.50 Jack Daniel's Black

$4.50 Seagram's Crown Royal

Vodkas

$3.95 Absolut

$3.95 Finlandia

$3.95 Smirnoff

$3.75 Stolichnaya

$4.95 Three Olives

$4.95 Gray Goose

$4.95 Belvedere

Gins

$3.95 Beefeater

$4.25 Tanqueray

$4.50 Bombay Sapphire

Rums

$3.95 Bacardi Limon

$3.95 Bacardi Select

$3.95 Bacardi Silver

$3.95 Myer's Dark

$3.95 Captain Morgans Spiced Rum

$4.25 Malibu Rum

$4.75 Bacardi "8"

Tequila

$3.95 Jose Cuervo Gold Reserve

$4.95 Cuervo 1800

Martinis-$4.50

Premium Brands

WOW! Thanks! Not bad prices...no different than going out to a club...

Ok..some more questions for the veterans :) I can tell already that I am going to be hooked on cruising...I have spent the better part of every night on different web sites looking for deals for the future..

1. Is there any cruise line you prefer more than another? I realize I'm at the Carnival forum..but, is this the only line you sail?

2. For anyone who has sailed with teenagers (my son is 15) do you think there is enough for them to do on board?

3. Any recommedations for my next cruise? I have already starting setting up a separate "vacation" account..I would like to sail mid-March. I live in Houston...so flying to far to get on a cruise ($$) is hard for me...:)

4. As far as tipping goes...will they leave envelopes for all the people you're supposed to tip in your room or do they add it to your bill?

Thanks for ALL your help:)

Michele

1. Is there any cruise line you prefer more than another? I realize I'm at the Carnival forum..but, is this the only line you sail?

Hi Michele. I think most of us prefer Carnival. (Yeah, kinda a no-brainer.):D I've been on NCL and Princess, but Carnival works best for me.

2. For anyone who has sailed with teenagers (my son is 15) do you think there is enough for them to do on board?

You didn't say when in November you'll be on your cruise. If it's during Thanksgiving break, there'll be a lot of teenagers (kids of all ages). Otherwise, there should be a few at least, for him to hang around with. There's always the pool and the ARCADE!

3. Any recommedations for my next cruise? I have already starting setting up a separate "vacation" account..I would like to sail mid-March. I live in Houston...so flying to far to get on a cruise ($$) is hard for me...

Why not think about driving to N.O. and cruising from there? The Conquest does 7 days, and beginning in October, the Sensation will be doing 4 and 5 days. I've driven from N.O. to Houston many times - not a bad drive at all.

4. As far as tipping goes...will they leave envelopes for all the people you're supposed to tip in your room or do they add it to your bill?

Carnival does 'automatic tipping', which means the gratuities ($10 per person per day) are automatically on your Sign & Sail account. You CAN ask for an adjustment at the purser's desk, but most folks leave them - as is. It's a fair amount. If you should choose to remove or reduce the tips, you can use envelopes for individual tipping. The only 'extra' tipping you need to be aware of is when you order room service, tip the server $1 or $2. (A 15% tip is automatically added to your bar drinks, so you won't need to tip extra.)

I think it would be a good idea for you to stop by a travel agent's office in Houston and just ask for a Carnival brochure. There is SO much info there - but this board is also great! I know a first cruise is SO exciting, so feel free to ask anything!:)

Archived