Tip to Maitre D for Table for 2

cajuncrewmate

Hi -

Has anyone in the past tipped the Maitre D to get a table assignment for 2? If so, when do you do this - should it be done before or during the first night formal dinner? If during dinner, do you do it when you walk into the dining room?

Also, how much do you normally tip? What would be considered a good tip for this? Do you tip when he makes the arrangements (i.e., hand him cash then) or do you wait until the end of the cruise?

For us having a table for 2 would make the whole cruise more relaxing. While we enjoy visiting with others at our table, we are at heart introverts and being able to relax at our own table while we dine would be idea.

Thanks -

=-CCM

Sticky subject here... basically you are asking what it is going to cost you to be given preferential treatment versus every other sailing couple that wanted a 2 top. I've stood at the desk (first day, when the Maitre d' is in the dining room for assignment changes, by the way, NOT at the podium once dinner service has started) and watched $20's fly. IMHO this makes it a bidding situation in which the one who most greases the hand of the person in front of the computer screen gets the best table.

To try to get a small table, have your TA note it in your reservations and call Costa directly. You can always get a 2 top in the specialty restaurants where you will pay the servers an additional tip and presumably get better food and service (in lieu of the Maitre d' who would be happy to take your $$$ and magically move you on his screen to another table assignment.):eek:

My wife and I prefer tables for two and on all three of our Costra sailings all we did is to go to the Matri'd immediately upon boarding the ship. Ask which dining room he will be when you get on board. We have asked for the table and got it ever time with no money changing hands. I saw no one doing that .

Archived