Firefighter discount?

groffo1

not anywhere in here does it say that he expects the discount. he was just making reference to the fact that FFs dont get the discounts like they did after 9/11. So whats the deal are you upset that you dont get a discount fot your choice of employment.

I'm married to a police officer. Any cruising discount towards these jobs would certainly benefit me. So no, I'm not "jealous".

And maybe he didn't say he expected one outright, fine, but he acts like it should be a perk of the job. The perk of your job is saving lives, that's what you signed up for - NOT free stuff.

until you've walked in the shoes of a fellow ff, you just don't what it means to run in when everyone else is running out.

I don't think anyone's disputing that fact. It's where do you draw the line on offering discounts for professions. If firefighters, why not police officers? If them, why not doctors and nurses? Teachers has been thrown around quite a bit.

From a BUSINESS perspective, how are you supposed to make any money if half the country can sail on a profession discount? I'm not saying one job is any more or important than the other, they all have their necessitites. What I'm saying is that you HAVE TO DRAW THE LINE SOMEWHERE. Otherwise, no one would be paying the standard rates. It doesn't mean anyone appreciates the jobs all these people do in their professions any less!!

I'm married to a police officer. Any cruising discount towards these jobs would certainly benefit me. So no, I'm not "jealous".

And maybe he didn't say he expected one outright, fine, but he acts like it should be a perk of the job. The perk of your job is saving lives, that's what you signed up for - NOT free stuff.

I agree here totally, Any discounts are nice, but that should not be a reason for taking a job. I was a volunteer ems for 10 years, and I did not volunteer looking for any perks, I joined to help people

I don't think anyone's disputing that fact. It's where do you draw the line on offering discounts for professions. If firefighters, why not police officers? If them, why not doctors and nurses? Teachers has been thrown around quite a bit.

From a BUSINESS perspective, how are you supposed to make any money if half the country can sail on a profession discount? I'm not saying one job is any more or important than the other, they all have their necessitites. What I'm saying is that you HAVE TO DRAW THE LINE SOMEWHERE. Otherwise, no one would be paying the standard rates. It doesn't mean anyone appreciates the jobs all these people do in their professions any less!!

Not to mention..Firefighters do a lot better wage wise than most people think !!!

I dont think it has anything to do with wage.. as mentioned in the above quote which I totally agree with.. there has to be a line drawn.. my father is retired RCMP 30yrs and my cousins hubby is a FF.. so should I get the friends and family discount.. Why do they give military discounts I don't know they risk their lives as do the rest of these people.. again it is all political I think.. JMHO.. But all of us will still cruise no matter cause we love it:)

I'm married to a police officer.

If firefighters, why not police officers? If them, why not doctors and nurses? Teachers has been thrown around quite a bit.

They do offer discounts for Police Officers & teachers & singles & Military & Seniors & airline employees & some even a discount on babies.

If you are a first time cruiser and in none of the professions than you will get a discount on your second cruise as a past guest.

So eventually everyone is offered some kind of discount.

My view is this, your discount is the taxes I pay all the time that pay the wages that the firefighters, police, and other public services we get. My brother is a detective in Orlando. He makes quite a living. Not saying he or anyone else shouldnt, but it gets a little old when people start expecting discounts because of the job that THEY choose to do.

On a different note, wouldnt that come close to a bribe? I know my brother cannot accept a free cup of coffee from a vendor.

Tim

My view is this, your discount is the taxes I pay all the time that pay the wages that the firefighters, police, and other public services we get.

My brother is a detective in Orlando. He makes quite a living. Not saying he or anyone else shouldnt, but it gets a little old when people start expecting discounts because of the job that THEY choose to do.

On a different note, wouldnt that come close to a bribe? I know my brother cannot accept a free cup of coffee from a vendor.

Tim

I could care less about getting any discounts because I am a firefighter. I make decent money and am not forced to do what I do.

How do you figure the city/town taxes you pay equates to any type of discount for public employees service in your city ????

You, if anybody, gets a discount on insurance because you have a certain number of public officials in your city.

Don't start the crap about your taxes pay me so I owe you...I pay the same taxes my neigbor does. So, according to your twisted logic, I am giving MYSELF a discount by paying my taxes.

If your brother is in law enforcement, I'm sure he has taken a free cup of coffee or two in his career...be real.

They do offer discounts for Police Officers & teachers & singles & Military & Seniors & airline employees & some even a discount on babies.

Who's offering a discount on babies? How much are they going for? :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. Besides, this thread is getting too serious. My hubby is a FF and I'm a teacher. We don't expect discounts. But if they're out there, we're gonna take 'em. Wouldn't you guys? ;) )

I asked a simple question as my husband is a volunteer firefighter AND we are past guests, so I am looking for the better deal, that is all. We certainly don't EXPECTa discount based on his FF status. That was not MY intent. I am looking for the best price for my family's vacation.

Having said that, I can't believe that people are getting this hostile over a simple question, and bringing wages into the factor. In our case, he is a volunteer. That means he doesn't get paid for risking his life for others, so the argument that he makes a good living is actually an insult to him. Just as someone stating that a senior discount isn't deserved as the discount's origin is based in the theory that seniors are living on a fixed income and can't afford to pay inflation, so the Seniors who can afford the luxury of a cruise are usually the ones with a heck of alot more in the bank than a working class family of 4.

I believe that if a company is offering a discount, one should partake in said discount. Seniors, military, PD, EMS, FF, nurses, airline, TA's, etc. It doesn't matter. If it is offered, take it. If it is not offered, don't be offended, upset, cry discrimination or flame those who do qualify for a discount.

If it upsets people that much, complain to Carnival that you would like to see special rates for babies, EMS/PD/FF, RN/LPN, educators, etc.

We paid full rate for our first cruise in Nov 2005, and didn't complain a bit that Carnival didn't offer a FF discount rate. We understood that we'd get a Gold card and better rate the next time we cruised (Nov 2007), and thought to ask if Carnival's policy had changed. That's it.

I think you are wise to ask if you qualify for any discount - regardless of the category. My sister and I are cruising in March - her senior discount trumped my past guest discount! I'm a Realtor - just glad they don't charge me double and make me sleep in the lifeboat.

Thanks to all the superheros mentioned on this board - you are loved and appreciated. If you are on the Liberty in March, show me your I.D. and I'll buy you a thank you drink!

I am a police officer and I am a volunter fire fighter. When their is a discount I use it but I do not demand it because what I do is my job. Just like a race car driver drives a car, a banker works in a bank, the sanitation worker collects my garbage. I chose to be a PO and a VFF and love what I do. Thank all ya'll for the support for what I and all others do. Its my job and a pat on the back goes along way with me.

Having said that, I can't believe that people are getting this hostile over a simple question, and bringing wages into the factor.

I don't think people got hostile over your question, I think they got hostile over another poster's insinuation that firefighters are somehow entitled to a discount. There are many professions in which workers show courage, bravery, selflessness, and willingness to risk their lives, and most of those do not find themselves the beneficiary of travel discounts. If someone offered me a nurse discount, you can bet I'd take it. But I wouldn't demand it, nor would I state that anyone who disagrees with my sense of entitlement doesn't appreciate that nurses work very hard, sometimes save lives, and in some situations, certainly do put their own lives at risk. I think your question was fine. Not all the responses to it were, and that includes responses on both sides of the issue.

I have to agree with the logical response from the policeman's wife : the logistics of this are very problimatical. You could have Firefighter's, LE, teachers, nurse's , doctor's (!!), then what about x ray techs, inhalation therapists, social workers....

I think the military discount is a good idea, but beyond that most lines have to limit themselves. If HAL and Costa offer firefighter's discounts you could check that out but Carnival may still be cheaper??

I do think it would be nice if Carnival (or other cruiselines) RECOGNIZED "First Responders" in some way....maybe have them stand up to applause at the welcome aboard show or Captain's party..

or offer a free "cocktail hour" for them or free party for them...if the ship's have Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy maybe a "First Responder's and Friend's Party" would be nice, let people with like interests meet up, get some free drinks etc..

I think most people would be agreeable to that.

A one hour "Recognition" party would be cheap compared to discounts and would give the "recognition" deserved and wanted IMHO

Who's offering a discount on babies? How much are they going for? :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. Besides, this thread is getting too serious. My hubby is a FF and I'm a teacher. We don't expect discounts. But if they're out there, we're gonna take 'em. Wouldn't you guys? ;) )

How a obout a bakers dozen. 'course then you would be able to afford to cruise at all :eek:

"Time is fun when you are having flies" Kermit the frog

I wonder if he qualifies for some kind of a celebrity discount j/k :D

This is also found on bottles of wine from Frog's Leap Winery (TFWYHF - you must know the secret to know what it means). Next time you are at a party, you can be the wine snob and offer up this tidbit.

Do wine snobs get discounts?

Nobody said that you ( not you personally ) owe us anything. Its just this " entitlement " thing we have in America these days. Everyone feels that they are special and should get something for it.

I work at a hotel, the largest hotel chain in the world.We offer a discount to alot of different groups. If you have a valid govt. ID, then you get a better rate.

It just bothers the heck out of me that someone thinks that they are entitled to something.

I am not saying that one group of people is somehow better than another.

I do thank firefighters, police, and all first responders for the job that they do.

So ya see my logic isnt twisted, its real.

Tim

Many things have been posted here on this topic.......and I think that both views have many valid points. However I cannot ignore something that was posted by : resq602 : My thoughts and not ment to open old wounds or to disrespect any First Responders, I think we all are thankfull for the work they have choosen to do, and we are greatfull for the times THEY Run In as WE Run Out. His Question began,

"Did you loose 343 brothers..........................WE did"

The answer is...........YES........We all lost Those Brothers, Those Sisters, Those Mothers, Fathers, Aunts and Uncles. I know that FF's and PO's take that lose very hard, they share a kinship with their fellows. But We as just normal folk also feel that lose no less then they. WE ALL lost close to 3000 that day. I know none of us will forget.

I know its a bit off topic....but I felt I needed to respond. Discount or not.....I hope you ALL have the oppertunity to cruise often and well.

Enjoy

Tom

Tim,

Come do our job for 24 hours and see the things people call the FD for, compared to all other agencies, and you will have a new perspective. Who do they call at 2am in the morning , when there toe hurts, the cat is stuck somewhere, stuck in an elevator, there house is flooded, not the other people, but us.

So until you walk in our shoes, you will have a one-sided view.

The job is very rewarding, been doin it for 27 years, and continue to love going to work. So yes I am glad I chose this as a profession.

Maybe you need to make your point on some other forum. This is a board for sharing cruise information and tips ,not to measure the value of professions. All you"ll do is garner dissent and resentment. I feel that those I serve with ask for no recognition and humbly serve out of a sense of calling to the profession. I would be embarrased to ask for a discount over someone else while on vacation. I agree with others on this thread ,there are many others who sacrifice as much in their work.

Archived