tips and/or gifts for butler

lisaoakmnt@aol.com

Obviously no one can tell you how much you should tip the butler. It's an individual thing. It also depends on the length of your cruise and how many people in your party Several people including myself have found some butlers to be either severly deficient, unnecessary (because of the concierge and roomservice)), or both. In those instances it is perfectly appropriate to not tip or to leave a small tip. For those who deem the services they receive from the butler exceptional (as they should be), I've read people leaving as little as $10.00 per day and as high as $40.00 per day. We are in the $20.00 range for the butler who does their job. The same for our concierge. They can make a good cruise exceptional and if they do they should be compensated for their abilities and efforts. If they don't they shouldn't feel entitled to anything, IMO.

I'm confused here - it's been our experience that the butler brings any/all room service orders - so how are they unnecessary? Also, I don't understand your "entitled" comment - can you please clarify?

I'm new to these boards and opened this thread hoping to learn something about tipping butlers/concierge/room stewards, as we're going on our first cruise in a few weeks.

I'm disappointed with the tone of this thread. I hope I don't see the same thing on other threads here.

For any and all of you posting to help the OP, thank you.

I'm new to these boards and opened this thread hoping to learn something about tipping butlers/concierge/room stewards, as we're going on our first cruise in a few weeks.

I'm disappointed with the tone of this thread. I hope I don't see the same thing on other threads here.

Welcome to cruise critic. there are always somepeople who like to stir the pot(or who smoke it and then try to be controversial).

There are suggestions about the butler on this thread. The concierge amount is really based on how much you use them. Think of how you would use a concierge in a hotel. But what they also do is get you the priority tender tickets, help you get your luggage when you get off...its amazing how they remember names sometimes. We used the concierge to get us a reservations at Cagney's only and yet when we were getting off he helped us to find our luggage and he remembered our names. I also left extra for the room stewards(they are included in the $10.00 per day service charge while the butler and the concierge are not)...On a ten day cruise I left an extra $50.00. I personally like the mandatory $10.00 because of ignoramouses that refuse to tip.....I also left an extra tip for one of the bar staff. She hugged my wife for it. In the Cagney's bar we tend to sit and listen to the piano player and rarely buy anything(after dinner we also would bring a cup of cappuccino from Impressions and sit so my wife could smoke). I figure we owed her a tip for taking up space that a better drinking customer would use. She was always very nice to us even though we rarely ordered...so we tipped her extra too!

First cruise in 25 years, I will be on the Pearll Feb 25 with mom and 12 yr old son Have been reading posts and would like some guidance regarding extra tip for butler also some have mentioned small personal gift any ideas for me?

I am coming in a bit late, going to ignore the negativity and simply give my thoughts on your question. We had an AC on the Jewel last year, and although it was officially only my husband and I, we had 4 kids in another cabin who were"part of the package". I can not say enough wonderful things about our butler, Karan. We thought $20 a day sounded right, but after seeing how great he was we wound up giving him $200 for the 7 day trip. If I could have afforded more I would have. I truly do think it should be based on what services they provide. We didnt really have meals brought in (can you imagine 6 people eating in the room!!) but the kids had an every night need for bowls of french fries, by the third night he was just stopping by to leave them! SImply wonderful. Enjoy your trip!

On another note, I am also in the service business, and as much as I love the cash, I also appreciate a thoughtful gift. Anyone can give cash (including me since I can never think of what to get someone), but it does leave a warm fuzzy in your heart when someone takes the time to get something for you as well. I contend there is no "right" answer since everyone is different.

On another note, I am also in the service business, and as much as I love the cash, I also appreciate a thoughtful gift. Anyone can give cash (including me since I can never think of what to get someone), but it does leave a warm fuzzy in your heart when someone takes the time to get something for you as well. I contend there is no "right" answer since everyone is different.

Well said, mkad! I agree that everyone should give what they are comfortable giving. It is a matter of personal choice.

It sounds as if you and your family had a great time! Hope you cruise again soon.

Jackie

MNSusan,

Please don't judge these boards by this thread. It is a great place to learn about cruising and meet some very nice people. Sometimes people get a bit argumentative, just scroll right by it when it gets out of hand. I don't see it happening that often, and usually just unsub from those threads if it get to be too much.

There is so much info to be had, and most everyone is very nice. We've made some good friends on our roll calls that we have cruised with more than once, and will again.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Jackie

Archived