Has anyone done the Chukka Horseback Riding in Jamaica?

Riley's Mom

Yes, my DH and I did the one out of Montego Bay this past Nov. and loved it. I am a very experienced horsewoman, but the ocean swim was something totally new and thrilling for me. The horses were, for the most part, in good flesh. The guides were friendly and informative as we rode through the Jamaican countryside. I recommend this excursion. We booked through Carnival.

I asked about this excursion awhile ago and got no response, I'm so glad you asked!

I have an additional question, do you go to the Falls? I noticed in the pics that you were at the falls, also and very important....do you get to run (gallop or canter) with the horses??? My DD does not want to only walk!

Thank you

MAO

The only time he horses get to run is in the water. And yes, you get very wet. They go in to where the water is at the top of the horses back, so you're basically sitting in water. They all run side by side in the water. I am not sure about an age limit, although, I did not see anyone younger than a teenager on this tour. We did not go to the falls.

You do get wet. We did get to the falls, but is was for a very short period of time. (45 min). We did not do the climb but got in at various points. Still had lots of fun. Most of the riding is walking. with the running portion in the cove. For my daughter it was a bit slow, but she enjoyed it none the less. I think the youngest in our group was 15.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, my DH and I did the one out of Montego Bay this past Nov. and loved it. I am a very experienced horsewoman, but the ocean swim was something totally new and thrilling for me. The horses were, for the most part, in good flesh. The guides were friendly and informative as we rode through the Jamaican countryside. I recommend this excursion. We booked through Carnival.

GLAD TO HEAR A GOOD REVIEW OF THE HORSEBACK RIDING IN JAMAICA.

HOW ABOUT TIPING THE GUIDE? ANY PROTOCOL ON THIS?

In our case he went out of his way to help us during the ride. He took photos of us with our camera, even though they provided their own photo service to sell to you. The photos he took on our camera were great. He also took our daughter with a second group out into the ocean and took her horse to the point where he was actually swimming. He also let her ride some extra in the sand ring when we finished the trip. This was service way above what I expected. Normally I might tip $5 for the exercise.

We just got back from the Victory on Sunday. We went to Jamaica on Friday March 16th. We did the tour with the ship it was well worth the $79 for 3.5 hours! The bus picked us up right at the port.

We has an hour before our tour so we went to the Island Village picked up some $5 t-shirts 5 min walk up and around to the shops felt safe we just smiled and said we already had a tour and the said okay.

We left at 10:30 and drove for about 20-30 mins to Chukka Horseback ride and swim! We were a group of 8 from 7 - 65 years. You have a guide for every 4-5 people so we had 2 for our group Audrey and Dale. They were awsome! They pick out your horse help you saddle up adjust your straps make sure you are comfortable. They use a bus to take your larger back packs to the beach area you can carry a small back pack with camera etc inside. At the beach area they have washrooms and a place to get drinks. You ride for about 40 mins down to the water on the way you go down some little hills and along a rocky shore. At the beach you get off and put a water saddle (change if you want) you are in the ocean for 10-20 mins? seemed long but I'm not a water person my 7 year old son loved it her had his own horse and Audrey took great care of him! You get wet the horses do swim so you up to you waiste and some people fell off or chose to swim back to shore. They only take about 10-15 people in at a time so there were always people around so you could leave all you stuff up in the shelter area. The ride back was much quicker the horses galloped a bit because they new they get a bath and a treat after each tour.

We would do it again in a heart beat we bought my son a t-shirt and I had to was it so he could wear it to school his first day back!

We would all highly recomend this tour for everyone!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Hi to you all...

We are doing this tour from Princess the week of April 7th. Glad to hear it was great and thanks for all the details!

I've always rode horses wearing pants and heeled shoes. This seems a bit less formal.

Can we get away with shorts (I hope, it's going to be hot...) and water shoes? Like the sandals that are strapped on with hard plastic soles?

Thanks for your help! :)

Terry in NJ

Three people in our group of 8 including my 7 year old had never ridden a horse before just let them know and they will talk you through any of the small slopes you may encounter! Have a blast we did.

I wore capries and flip flops and was fine you can bring a towel to cut down on rubbing, that's what I did when I wore my bathing suit back.

We would definatly do this tour again!!!!!!!:D

Hi,

I did the Chukka horseriding in March 2006...and it was one of the highlights of my excursions.

Everyone was very well looked after and you were matched to your horse..I think...by size and height... I had not ridden for about 30 years..so I would say it is suitable for a non rider.

We had about half hour round the paddock/field while everyone mounted their horse ... mine was called molly..say hello if you happen to ride her.

Some great views of the ocean as we trekked down to the beach...we had one leader to six riders...and while riding would bring plants and leaves to smell and loved explaining about their island.

Dress...I wore swimwear underneath a 'T' shirt and below the knee shorts and flip flops...some wore jeans or a sarong...I think anything goes...while swimming with the horses though just swimwear and bare feet as you do not use the stirrups in the sea apparently.

You can also hire a locker for 5$ ...Also didn't know a photographer was taking loads of shots and had them on disc for 20$ for when we arrived back.

Hope you find the trip as enjoyable as I did.

Archived