Buccaneer Ball

alibeth918

So, I'm going on the QM2 this spring and recieved in my cruise packet with the details for dinner and one night we have a Baccaneer Ball. I'm all about dressing up, I think it'll be fun especially with our kids. For those that have experienced these, will we be the odd balls out by dressing up? For those that do dress up, what are they wearing and how detailed do they get? Do they have contests and prizes or something? They say costumes optional.

Same questions with the Masquarade Ball.

TIA

Ali

If I get the chance, tomorrow I will upload pics of Marc and I in costume- Buccaneer, and Masquerade

Karie,

who ALWAYS participates in the fun stuff. It makes it that much more fun!

Karie,

So you go to dinner thus dressed?

Or change afterwards?

And this is fun?

Matthew

Who is clearly getting old faster than Karie.....

Oh goodie. A fun topic for a change.:D

Well, I am the world's worst in terms of dressing up for these types of things and participating but I do know that we had a Pirate's Ball on board the QM2 on our sailing last December. From the video I see that some did dress up for the event. It ranged from the simple eye patch to the full Johnny Depp-like look of Pirates of the Caribbean - which is the new fashion statement for pirates apparently. Only Johnny can make it so! There did appear to be a lot of regularly dressed people so I believe the "optional" part was just that!

Still, as much as I went to bed early every night after late dinner, I think the ball looked well attended and people had fun. If you like that sort of thing and are interested I'd say go and attend the Buccaneer Ball. Enjoy yourself either way. Even if you don't dress up its a great way to people watch!

David

One of the ladies from our Cruise Critic group fitted us all out in Pirate costumes. Those that won were given vouchers that could be traded in for gifts at the end of the week. You could also collect vouchers by participting in the trivia contests.

One of the ladies from our Cruise Critic group fitted us all out in Pirate costumes. Those that won were given vouchers that could be traded in for gifts at the end of the week. You could also collect vouchers by participting in the trivia contests.

This was on Carnival? ;)

Matthew

This was on Carnival? ;)

Matthew

LOL, no but sounds like it eh? The Queen Mary 2 in the sedate Queens Room was FULL of Pirates of all kinds at the Pirate's Ball.

I didn't get to the Ascot Ball or Masquerade Ball but I am sure they were well attended according to the DVD I bought of our voyage.

Matthew,

Bear in mind that the Pirates or Buccaneer's Ball is held on a casual night.

Yes we went to dinner dressed like that! You should have seen Marc in my sparkly wide-legged black pants, sash and red poufy blouse (Well, poufy sleeves) tricorner hat, eye patch, earring and plastic cutlass.

I was dressed as more of a serving wench type, since all of the known woman pirates (that I am aware of) dressed as men. I think I wore about three tiered skirts. One over the other. Marc has the pictures, otherwise I would have posted them. As soon as he makes me up a CD of them, I will post one of us. and we made the video because of it! We had several really good costumes on our cruise, incluing one of the winners- "Long Johns Silver"

Syntactically incorrect? No. He was ... wearing Long Johns! And dressed rather piratish also, I might add, if in his Long Johns. After all, Pirates had to keep warm, too!

As for the masquerade ball, think of the formal, masked balls that were held in the time of Mozart and his well tempered clavier Oops. that was Bach. Or was it Beethoven. (It was Bach) Heck, all I know about classical music was that Robert Schumann's wife, Clara had an affair with Shubert. (That was all I remember from Muscial Appreciation in college!) Anyway, think of the 17th and 18th century masked balls. They were quite formal

So yes. Iwent to dinner dressed thusly.

But then again I had late seating. I'm not sure I would have done so had I been at early seating.

Karie,

who is working nights this week

and wishing I could go to sleep rght now!

Matthew,

Yes we went to dinner dressed like that!

Thankfully no casual nights on Queen Elizabeth 2 - although I'd still jacket and tie for a casual night.

As for the masquerade ball, think of the formal, masked balls that were held in the time of Mozart and his well tempered clavier Oops. that was Bach. Or was it Beethoven. (It was Bach) Heck, all I know about classical music was that Robert Schumann's wife, Clara had an affair with Shubert.

She was precocious. She was nine when Schubert died!

But then again I had late seating. I'm not sure I would have done so had I been at early seating.

Karie,

Matthew,

Yes we went to dinner dressed like that!

Thankfully no casual nights on Queen Elizabeth 2 - although I'd still jacket and tie for a casual night.

As for the masquerade ball, think of the formal, masked balls that were held in the time of Mozart and his well tempered clavier Oops. that was Bach. Or was it Beethoven. (It was Bach) Heck, all I know about classical music was that Robert Schumann's wife, Clara had an affair with Shubert.

She was precocious. She was nine when Schubert died!

Karie,

I do hope they have a Masquerade Ball on my QM cruises, I have purchased a really attractive mask, and will hate not to have an opportunity to wear it. I will be on the Fall Foliage cruise Sept 28, and am studying the cost of B2B transatlantic cruises in July. After sleeping on it I hope I will book it on Monday

Which cruise were you on for the Pirate and Masquerade balls?

Very disappointed in some of the reviews, but it is "different strokes for different folks" I assume.

I do hope they have a Masquerade Ball on my QM cruises, I have purchased a really attractive mask, and will hate not to have an opportunity to wear it. I will be on the Fall Foliage cruise Sept 28, and am studying the cost of B2B transatlantic cruises in July. After sleeping on it I hope I will book it on Monday

Very disappointed in some of the reviews, but it is "different strokes for different folks" I assume.

We were on the December 9th Caribbean. They probably have the masquerade ball on all of the trips.

Well, it broke my heart today but I told my travel agent to cancel my b2b Transatlantic in July. DH has decided he won't be able to manage his pain by then and the grandchildren all have another activity to attend that week. It's an adventure you want to share with someone, so that's that. I sulked all day.:(

A crossing is something I have wanted to do my entire life. Perhaps next year will look better for it.

cusyl

Sorry to read of the reason for cancelling your B2B Transatlantic for July, hope that your husband.s health improves.

It is difficult sometimes to cruise alone, but it does keep me "sane" (well somewhat) Thinking about the new Queen, and also next years Transatlantic I love sea days . so much to do on board, I do not feel like a "suare wheel"

Best Wishes to you both

• 4 years later...

Dear Jimsgirl

I'm very glad I found your positive attitude to the masquerade balls in the archives. More recent critics are mostly a bit negative about it and almost discouraging to put some effort in dressing up other than the obligatory black tie. We have great fun now in the months before sailing, in inventing and creating the different costumes for the balls. I think it defying to make them as much as possible, not buying much and in a way they are multi-purpose.

A wonderful website for making these kind of clothes in a quick and cheap way is Threadbanger.

For instance ideas for a men's hat for a few $ material:

or a Victorian/ Steampunk dress:

Pim

I am not a fan of fancy dress at all but I think the beauty of these themed nights is that you can do as little or as much as you wish.....previous cruise included a Tropical Night, Western Night and Red, White & Blue Night ........I was able to adapt my existing wardrobe to incorporate all these themes without much expense or looking like a wally.

There are two themed nights on the TA in June......although I don't like fancy dress i do like dressing up so am looking forward to these....the Black and White ball is easy as I have a black full length dress and for the Ascot ball I have the hair adornment I wore on Tropical Night which matches another full length dress I have. I am really looking forward to dressing up , my only dilemma is shoes......last time we cruised from England so I took 14 pairs (and wore them all).....this time we have flights and train journeys to factor in so will have to cut down ;-(

Flights are a problem for carrying "dressing up clothes", weight and sixe of cases.

Even my favorite mask has had to be left at home for this next trip, QV LA to NY on Feb 28th. I have a simple mask, bought of all things in my local grocery store a few weeks ago for just $1.

Blk/white is easy of course, Ascot cannot take hat but do wear a pastel chiffon" floaty " dress, for Masquerade, black dress, gold stole and bag, and gold and black mask, I put the mask on after dinner as I dine early.

Caribbean again easy, bright rather gaudy cotton long dress, bright gaudy stole.

but alas for Victorianna,I just wear my ordinary formal gowns whatever that may be.

The important thing is to enjoy the evening.

Lynn

Flights are a problem for carrying "dressing up clothes", weight and sixe of cases.

Even my favorite mask has had to be left at home for this next trip, QV LA to NY on Feb 28th. I have a simple mask, bought of all things in my local grocery store a few weeks ago for just $1.

Blk/white is easy of course, Ascot cannot take hat but do wear a pastel chiffon" floaty " dress, for Masquerade, black dress, gold stole and bag, and gold and black mask, I put the mask on after dinner as I dine early.

Caribbean again easy, bright rather gaudy cotton long dress, bright gaudy stole.

but alas for Victorianna,I just wear my ordinary formal gowns whatever that may be.

The important thing is to enjoy the evening.

Lynn

I completely agree in the problem of the amount of luggage you can bring, when flying. Coming from Europe to Southampton, we fly this year with Flybe from Schiphol airport. They give the possibility to book in advance for extra luggage (2 suitcases /40 kg + 10 kg hand luggage each passenger) Of course you have to pay for it, but a lot less then in case of overweight.

For the TA we had a solution, organized by the travel agent, we went by coach/ferry and stayed the night before embarkation in a Southampton hotel. This takes a lot more time, but the number of suitcases is unlimited, when you also return on a TA crossing.

Pim

Archived