One more formal night question

RIARE12

Hello,

I did just read the post below about how informal can you be-but how formal can you be? That might sound like a stupid question but from the post below it sounded like maybe not everyone dresses up in a formal gown like I thought people would. I bought two dresses for our cruise and am now wondering if the one is going to be too dressy. It is a long formal dress. My husband was planning on renting a tux. Will other people be doing the same or should I go for more of the black cocktail dress I have?

Also, if I do bring the very formal dress how in the world do I transport it to the cruise. The second I fold it for the suitcase it will be an absolute mess. It's like a silk material. Any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Hello,

I did just read the post below about how informal can you be-but how formal can you be? That might sound like a stupid question but from the post below it sounded like maybe not everyone dresses up in a formal gown like I thought people would. I bought two dresses for our cruise and am now wondering if the one is going to be too dressy. It is a long formal dress. My husband was planning on renting a tux. Will other people be doing the same or should I go for more of the black cocktail dress I have?

Also, if I do bring the very formal dress how in the world do I transport it to the cruise. The second I fold it for the suitcase it will be an absolute mess. It's like a silk material. Any suggestions?

Nothing isn't too dressy for formal night, Wendy and I dress to kill, and she has some nice formal dresses.

Fred

Well here is what I can tell you. I've seen folks dress completely to the nines and others show up in khakis and a dress shirt. As for the ladies I've seen pant suits, cocktail dresses, sunday dresses, and evening gowns. It really comes down to personal choice.

It's your cruise, dress as formal or informal as you wish! Enjoy.

:) IMO there should be 2 dining room venues.One for those who want to dress to impress & one for those who want casual comfort.

Heck I am 68 & my wife is 67.We live in Coastal San Diego North County;which is pretty laid back.When I was working,I had to wear ties ,jackets ,ie.now that we are retired ,the more casual the better.Personally,I believe that us Californians & other West coasters would prefer casual.But, to appease I don a dark blue jacket & my wife wears pant suits on formal nights.It is just that for us it would be a lot easier & less packing to go complete casual. Can tell you when the dinner is over,I do go back to our state room & get casual to see the show.

To conclude I beleive dressing to the nines or dressing in smart casual is personal preference. When we lived in NYC it was the nines.Here in sunny San Diego it is smart casual.

Which dress style do you prefer?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179636

try this link, it has many pics of the 'board members all dressed up and snazzy. I can't believe anyone is overdressed on a formal. If you've got a gown, get some mileage out of it on cruises... you'll never see the same people again They won't know it's the second cruise for that dress... I have 4 that I alternate with.... now that I have aformal picture in each dress, I've started dress shopping... have worn each dress 2-3 times over our cruises.

well that's how I justify the price tag to my husband anyway:D

Forgot to answer the transport ? We purchased luggage that has garment bags in them, they either stay zipped in, or for the expensive gown, I zip it out and use it for carry on, folds up nice with shoulder strap, twice the size of thin computer bag, meets ship screening because it's flexible for the scanner;)

Do you have a garment bag? Don't think of packing a gown in anything else.

My suggestion is to do a test run. People suggest, and I did it last cruise, to put a dry cleaner bag or any plastic bag over your dress. Put it in the garment bag. Fold it up and leave it over night. How does it look when it comes out? When you do travel, lay it flat in your car till you get to the airport and as soon as you get it back from baggage claim, lay it out again.

And yes, the room steward will take it to be pressed for you.

:D midimarv no problem .Heck i did that number many times when going to a Broadway show & dinner or the NY Oprera .Was a lot younger & when traveling was willing to lug a lot of luggage around. Now, I found it a whole lot easier & simpler to travel light.

Do have one blue suit jacket & put on my blue dickies. Then take off the jacket a put on my white sweater.

To each their own. you cold weather East coasters need those extra layers LOL

Your the only one you have to make happy.Do what makes you feel good.Don't sweat the small stuff.:D

Why is it that everyone always says that? "You're the only one that you have to worry about being happy"? What about the other 2000 people that paid the same amount (or more) than you? Worrying about yourself is one thing, but worrying ONLY about yourself is self-centered, egotistical and just downright rude. How about if you have some common courtesy for the other 2000 people on the ship with you? If you want to be by yourself, there are plenty of places you can vacation where you're not in public. :mad:

I was just debating what to do for formal night.....we always have dressed up but I was thinking of leaving the gowns at home and just dressing nicely this time. Honestly we dress for dinner every night and often nicer than some do to formal night. Go for it. How often do you get to dress formally for dinner and to be served?

I use a garmet bag and then once on ship hang it in the bathroom with the stem from the shower to release any wrinkles that may have occured. I am sure you can get it pressed if you need to.

• 4 months later...

:) there are now legitimate reasons for traveling light & that doesn't leave much room for formal attire.Mainly the airlines have limited suit cases to 50 lbs per check in bag & 2 ck in bags to a person. The carry on bag can't exceed 40 lbs.These are US air regulations.Hear that Europe is even stricter.

We are taking off for 65 days with 2 European cruises in 2008 .,so changes are important ;because clothes washing might be scarce other than hand washing & the cruise lines charge a fotune :mad: for washing clothes .

:) IMO there should be 2 dining room venues.One for those who want to dress to impress & one for those who want casual comfort.

Heck I am 68 & my wife is 67.We live in Coastal San Diego North County;which is pretty laid back.When I was working,I had to wear ties ,jackets ,ie.now that we are retired ,the more casual the better.Personally,I believe that us Californians & other West coasters would prefer casual.But, to appease I don a dark blue jacket & my wife wears pant suits on formal nights.It is just that for us it would be a lot easier & less packing to go complete casual. Can tell you when the dinner is over,I do go back to our state room & get casual to see the show.

To conclude I beleive dressing to the nines or dressing in smart casual is personal preference. When we lived in NYC it was the nines.Here in sunny San Diego it is smart casual.

Which dress style do you prefer?

I would love this option!! While I myself prefer to dress up nightly, my BF would prefer to have the option to wear khaki shorts, and a polo shirt to the dining room every night.

Last cruise was our first cruise together, and first cruise he actually ate in the dining room, as he didn't like having to pack pants/dress shoes in the past. He only did it this time at my request. While I don't think it would be appropriate to be in a t-shirt, and jean shorts, it would be a nice idea to have one of the dining rooms set to what I consider 'golf attire'... A collared shirt, and khaki shorts.

I would love this option!! While I myself prefer to dress up nightly, my BF would prefer to have the option to wear khaki shorts, and a polo shirt to the dining room every night.

Last cruise was our first cruise together, and first cruise he actually ate in the dining room, as he didn't like having to pack pants/dress shoes in the past. He only did it this time at my request. While I don't think it would be appropriate to be in a t-shirt, and jean shorts, it would be a nice idea to have one of the dining rooms set to what I consider 'golf attire'... A collared shirt, and khaki shorts.

2000 passengers and 2000 opinions. Undoubtedly there are those that think golf attire is formal. I'm sure there is more than a few passengers who would like to come into the dining room in their swim wear given the opportunity. They have to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe you Californians do, but don't lump the rest of us Left Coasters into there! Our family loves to go formal on formal night! :p

Jayne

:)

This Californian is pretty laid back and casual:p But we do dress up for formal night......No ball gown or tux's.....just suits and cocktail dresses.;)

We save the jeans for non formal nights by the way........

Hello,

There will be others in very formal attire also you wont feel out of place. If you opt for the little black dress the same thing others will be dressed that way too. My formal was very easily wrinkled also. I took a plastic hanger and drapped a folded towel across the bottom and layed it across that. It worked and wasn't wrinkled when i unpacked it. Hope this is helpful have a great cruise.

I believe that us Californians & other West coasters would prefer casual. ?

Not me!

I love to dress up on formal night for the simple reason you mentioned above, California is casual, there really is no place (except the nice dinner shows in SF that we never go to) to dress nice so formal night gives my family the chance to all dress up at one time and we love it:)

I don't think having a dining room for casual & formal will work, according to all the CC polls, more people dress up & attend then don't.

Your cabin steward can have your dress pressed for you. Nothing is too formal, except maybe the tux with tails. lol

Did I read this right... will the cabin steward have the dress pressed??? Hummm.. didn't know that.. does it cost extra?? we normally take the portable steamer....

Archived