Dawn Fitness Center

espmass

Does anyone know from actual experience how early you can get into the fitness center on the Dawn? I know the ships always have set hours (usually 7AM) but I know from experience on other ships that usually there is a door left unlocked so that early risers like me can get in earlier. Also, how is their fitness center? Thanks.

Don't know about hours. I found the center OK. The weight-training half was a bit small and therefore prone to crowding, but had a decent selection of Cybex machines, as well as treadmills, bikes, etc. There's an equal-sized space used for classes that seemed otherwise empty, a perfect place for me to do Pilates.

Unfortunately, there are only two showers in the men's locker room. Who wants to wait on line to wash off?

Thanks. I guess I can deal with 6. I get up at 3:30 at home and usually by 4:30 when on a cruise so I do like to get there early to be able to finish my workout and then meet my husband for breakfast when he gets up.

We have sailed on all three remaining Sun Class ships, three times on the Star Princess and once on the Diamond Prince. I also prefer to do my workout early in the morning before my wife wakes up. This allows me to get a workout in, even on port days.

On the Star and Diamond, the posted hours for the fitness center indicated that it opened at 7:00 am and they were locked until that time. On all three Sun Class cruises, the latest being on the Dawn in October 2004, the doors were unlocked and the facilities available well in advance of the posted opening time. The only problem was a temporary closing due to cleaning, but as soon as the cleaning was complete, the doors were opened. I usually finished by 5:00 am., then did a one mile walk around the Promenade Deck.

Of course, things can change in two years, but I’m hoping the fitness center will be open early on our July cruise on the Sun Princess. I have no hope of an early workout on our Diamond cruise in May.

Jim

Archived