Snokelling

stretts

I would'nt bother with a snorkelling tour in Vila as you can do this easily on the other islands.You only have to be in a few feet of water and you will see them.I have done the underwater submersble n Vila as i took small grandson and i weanted him to see the fish,needn't have bothered as when we got to islands he was seeing them fine.Which islands are you going to?

Hi Sue,

Not all islands you will be able to snorkel on, the best for snorkelling appear to be Mystery, isle of Pines and Lifou. So it depends on where your cruise is taking you.

Just had a look at the P&O website, wow they are offering some new tours for Vila, we usually do our own thing there. The only two snorkelling tours appear to be Glassbottom boat and snorkel- 2hrs, good it you have kids, shorter duration, good for someone not swimming as they can stay on the boat but still observe underwater. 2hrs would not get you much snorkelling.

Paradise Cove Sail and Snorkel - 4hrs, looks good, Paradise Cove is at Pango Point, there is a small resort there. You can dinghy ashore or snorkell. Still leaves enough time to shop in Vila.

You could also get a taxi to Hideaway Island, great snorkelling, although I have been there on an overcast windy day, theres not much protection, so you could wait and see when you get there.

What other islands are you going to?

Chez

Paradise Cove Sail N Snorkel is wonderful, very relaxing. I did this tour last year. The boat anchors off shore and you can either swim ashore or get the dinghy. They give you bread so you can feed the fish, they also throw the bread in and the fish swarm all around you. A very weird feeling indeed. If you get tired of swimming, they take you on a short walk through the forest, explaining about the history of Vanuatu and showing different plants used for bush tucker, medicine etc.

Back on the boat, they serve refreshments. When I went, it was tea & coffee, cake, biscuits and fresh hot raisin toast. You can also buy local beer which was A$2 and very nice. It's run by an Australian guy and him and the crew are very friendly.

On the Pacific Star, you won't arrive into Noumea until 3pm, which doesn't give you time to snorkel (some folk have posted excellent reviews about Amadee Island snorkelling). A family on our cruise did the Vila Paradise Cove tour and had a great time. I think the operator supplies snorkelling gear on this tour (please don't take my word for it).

I know it's not on your itinerary, but Wala also has great snorkelling.

Archived