Around Oz in 28 days worthwhile?

Iowa cruiser

In Nov 07 and March 08 the Sun Princess will sail around Australia for 28 days from Sydney to Sydney, stopping at a dozen ports along the way.

Is this a worthwhile itinerary (I could not find it reviewed)? Are the ports far from interesting sights (necessitating shuttles or private transport or ship’s tours)? Is Australia better served by land tours and air passes? Is the weather pleasant in March, or are the northern ports still hot hot hot?

Most important, is the Sun Princess comfortable enough in an inside cabin of 145 sq ft for 28 days? Is the ship’s design dated (more than ten years) and not ideal for longer cruises?

Thanks for your help,

Iowa Cruiser

I think the only ship to do a similar voyage is the pacific princess but i dont think that there is any reviews from that one either.

Personally i would love to do the 28 day circumnavigation voyage but i would kill to do that and the new zealand one back to back. I think it works out to around 40 nights.

As far as rooms go, i think the rooms on the sun princess are a fair bit larger than the ones on our local ships. I found an outside room on the star to be big enough for 4 people and could quite comfortably have stayed longer.

The cruise would be an interesting way to see some of Australia coastline that you probably wouldnt get to see any other time. There are after all, so many trips to the outback and the rainforests that one can take.

November would be my choice. March is still the wet season in northern Australia, it will be hot (and very humid) and you also run the risk of cyclonic weather in our northern waters at that time. As far as tours are concerned, Australia is a vast land, so using air to travel medium to long distances is preferable, with shorter land based tours along the way.

The Funchal has done an Aussie circumnavigation. I remember reading someones blog that they wrote as they went around. Unfortunately I don't have it bookmarked anymore, but you might be able to find it.

If you are from Iowa and don't know much about our country, just note that you won't be able to do an shore excursion to Ularu (Ayer's Rock) one of our big landmarks.

If you are from Iowa and don't know much about our country, just note that you won't be able to do an shore excursion to Ularu (Ayer's Rock) one of our big landmarks.

Yes, just a little too far from the coast:) . I can tell you now, if I had the money THAT is the cruise I would be doing.

Karen

Archived