Canadians and passports

Angie-Pangie

We have been on three cruises on NCL. The Sun in 2005, Miami to Western Caribbean, took the passports. The Jewel in 2006, Miami to Eastern Caribbean, took the passports. The Sun in 2007, New Orleans to Western Caribbean, Did not take the passports. I had expected to have them taken in NLO and had photocopies ready to hand in, but they just handed back the passports. Sailing on the Pearl in March 2008 out of Miami for a 9-day southern, who knows if they are going to try and take them. I will have photocopies for them again. I am not really comfortable with them taking my passport but since the alternative may be not cruising, I reluctantly comply.

BTW, although this is my first post, I am an avid follower of this board since booking the first cruise in fall of 2004. Learned so much that DH and I have never had a bad experience. Thanks to all the long time posters.

i think it depends on the ports you are visiting. we were on a greek cruise with a greek cruise ship...they held out passports for our visit in turkey. had to have them to clear customs. they returned them on the last day.

the other option if that they called each person down to clear customs and that would take forever.

each port can make their own rules, the ships just try to make it as easy as they can.

I don't think its the ports or even the cruise line but rather the captain who makes this decision as we have been to many of the ports noted in this thread where passports were kept by the cruiseline and ours never were. As well, why would Canadian passports be taken, and especially if the cruise is to Canada, but not American passports - seems ludicrous.

Archived