QM2 transatlantic dress code

newcruiserman

I'm a first-timer taking the QM2 transatlantic in June. I've searched the web re: dress code and found lots of either vague or contradicting views. For men, I've got a rough idea of what's expected, but my wife is unclear about points such as whether formal means "long ballgown", or if cocktail dresses cover most needs or when pants suits might be appropriate. For me, will I be the only person in a tux and what can one understand (in British English) from "country-club casual"? Can someone who's done this trip set me straight?.

Did you not care for the answers on your previous post asking the same question? I think it was covered quite well from both the male and the femaile prospective. All of the Cunard ships are traditional in flavor and the vast majority of the passengers will be dressed to or above the suggested (required) dress code. So plan on dressing up and enjoy the cruise.

Which crossing will you be taking? Eastbound or west? Crossings are definitely more dressy than cruises. On a crossing there are 3 formal nights, 1 informal night and the 1st is casual because you have just arrived and the last night you have most likely done your packing. I repeat outfits, I do not have a different outfit for each night. I try to vary the outfit slightly. Most ladies do wear long dresses or skirts. But a very dressy cocktail dress or very dressy pantsuit would be suitable. On informal night men wear a suit (tie and jacket) and ladies wear a dressy pantsuit or semi-dressy dress. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Did you not care for the answers on your previous post asking the same question? I think it was covered quite well from both the male and the femaile prospective. All of the Cunard ships are traditional in flavor and the vast majority of the passengers will be dressed to or above the suggested (required) dress code. So plan on dressing up and enjoy the cruise.

S&D,

This was a double post I believe. One of the posts was inaccessible, and I suspect the administrators freed up the post for responses (I think it was one of those posts that you clicked on it and it said it didn't exist) This is why the date appeared to be yesterday when they freed up the post.

Please don't blame the poster!

Then too, I could be wrong!

and maybe he simply wanted to get insulted again!

Karie,

who gets so tired of the attitudes that seem to say that assuming the worst of a person is perfectly good manners and insulting them IN CASE they were thinking of having the audacity to think for themselves out of lockstep with certain others constitutes proper ettiquette.

I am not a TA, but if you booked with a reputable travel agent who has cruised on the QM2, these and other questions can be answered by them. I know it's fun to post, but this subject gets slaughtered every time. I have taken QM2 twice, QE2 twice, and the outlines for dress were quite clear in the description. That said, tuxedos are not mandatory, (dark suit will suffice) and ball gowns are not a necessity. Women can get away with wearing cocktail dresses, skirts and tops, pantsuits etc. Cunard is trying to uphold a tradition of proper dress and style. Many folks just make up their own definition, so you just don't know what you will find. I think by following the cruise ship's guidelines and your TA's suggestions, you will be more than "fitting in."

I don't know if it's of any help, but I'm sailing on the 18th May and don't have a long evening dress, although I do have cocktail dresses. From my experiences on Princess, formal night attire ranged from trailer-park casual in the buffet through to country-club casual, cocktail dressed and full on ballgowns. I therefore assumed that QM2 would be at the top scale of this, and so ordered a full length ballgown.

I'm very small, and found the best place to find a formal gown that actually fits (if you don't live in a land where they have prom nights) is a wedding dress shop - go in and ask to see their selection of bridesmaid's dresses, which you can usually have made up in a range of colours, and it's no more expensive than anywhere else.

Another tip is not to make jokes about the shop not getting many repeat customers, like I did...oops.

We will be on the same trip as you! I'm also a small lady (barely 5 feet, 112 lbs) I do best with separates! Since I wear a 7-8 on top and a 3-4 on the bottom, I use a lot of from mix and match outfits.

Our biggest problem on this cruise is that we both enjoy dressing! Since we will travel 13 days TA Eastbound followed by a couple of weeks in Europe and ending with the QM2 TA Westbound. Unfortunately, British Airways new baggage allowances has put some real restrictions on our baggage. We have decided to go ahead and pay the extra baggage fees for our travel in Europe so we can dress properly.

Our airline trips in the US (to and from the cruise) are all first class, but since we are travelling coach within Europe, and do not have a connecting FLIGHT to the US, we are limited to ONE checked bag per person. BUMMER! But we will pay the price and enjoy our trip!!

Archived