Kona....

petefamily7@yahoo.com

You will have to buy a ticket for the shuttle. There's a little shop right across the street from the pier and you can get your wrist band there for the shuttle. You can also rent snorkeling equipment, beach chairs, mats, umbrellas and things like that. The sand is more like gravel, but the turtles are cool to see and there is the best BBQ Kaluah Pork sandwiches for sale at that beach! There are free shuttles to Hilo Hatties if you want to get a free shell lei and some pineapple juice to drink :D .

The best beach I saw on my trip was Hapuna Beach, north of Kona. You would need a car to get there, and in my mind, this beach was worth the rental fee. We rented from the airport, as we were going north anyways. Facilities and a snack bar, perfect day trip.

Hi Angie - I can tell you are really enjoying planning your trip! This is my advice for what it's worth.... we loved Kona and had a wonderful day there - perhaps our favorite. We got RIGHT off the ship - got RIGHT in a cab and went STRAIGHT to Kahaluu Beach - Because we were the first people there that morning, the snorkeling was wonderful - zillions of people hadn't stirred everything up - and - it was early so there were lots and lots of turtles being active ( I believe early morning is a more active time for them??).

By the time the hoards started to arrive, we had had our fill of snorkeling, had had our turtle thrills and were ready to have a smoothy there at the beach and then return to the main shopping part of Kona (where we then had a wonderful time in the outdoor market and then lunch at the amazing Bubba Gumps - after lunch we walked up to Hilo Hatties and then finally back to the ship).

I honestly wouldn't mess around waiting for a shuttle etc - the cab may cost you a few bucks more (maybe you'll even need two cabs??) BUT you likely won't be back to Kona and why waste time?

If you have a good guide book (I loved the lonley planet one) - it likely recommends Kahaluu Beach Park - like others have said, it isn't powder sand by any means but the snokeling is safe and good, the turtles are lots of fun, there are stalls to rent stuff if you need to, snack booths, washrooms etc. -its a great place!

Whatever you do - enjoy your day. Jayna K

There IS a beach right next to the pier. It is the beach for the King Kamehameha Hotel. It doesn't have the greatest sand there, but the water was fine. We spent some time there after touring. If it's hot, it a good place to get wet while you are waiting for a long tender line to thin out before you go back to the ship.

I thought someone said that there was a beach within walking distance of the port in Kona.

There is...it is the Kamakahonu beach right next to the pier. It is not big, or the most scenic beach on the island, but it sure is convenient..! Here is a picture:

http://www.pbase.com/cbcloud/image/74728559

For more pictures of the beach, click on the "pictures" link at the bottom of my signature. Then click on the "kona" gallery.

Loved your pictures. Thanks for posting them. That little Kona beach looked very familiar!

Glad you enjoyed them Bucky... Even though the beach is small, there is an interesting historical landmark right next to it...The 'Ahu'ena Heiau of King Kamehameha the Great. I think that was a "vacation house" of his.

Archived