Air question?????

lv2snorkel

I have always booked cruise and air through Carnival and the air fare has been reasonable. On my upcomming cruise they are charging $529 from Vegas to NY - no overnite room or dayroom and the going rate for this from Delta is $333 all taxes and fees. How comfortable are some of you booking air on your own - what are the pitfalls - etc. Thanks Katie:confused:

I have no problems w/booking my own air. I've done it 20 times. Only major pitfall is danger of missing your cruise. But, since I book 36 hours precruise, little chance of that. Plus, I arrive "refreshed" the first day aboard the ship

Katie: I have never booked my airfare with the cruise line. The biggest pitfall is that if your privately booked flight is delayed/cancelled, the ship will not wait for you and you will have no recourse against the cruise line. If I am flying in on the day that ship leaves, I always book early, early a.m. flight but I often fly in the day before just to avoid the possibility of missing the ship. If there are two of you traveling, the cost difference is approximately $400 for the flights which would cover an overnight stay. Even in NYC you should be able to find a room for much less than this.

Archived