Some general questions from a newbie :)

Kay129

Hi all,

I've been reading these message boards and gotten a real wealth of information so far, but some things I need a little help with and hopefully there's someone out there with an answer or can point me in a direction to look.

I've never been on a cruise before but my BF and I plan to travel probably in February. After reading lots of reviews I am thinking I'd really like to travel on a boat in the Spirit class on the week of 2/20. Are they all very similiar? I am leaning toward the Glory and the Miracle--I looked at the Conquest too but it didn't seem to be as well-liked. I'm also thinking the Western Carribean looks like a great place to go -- we are in our mid 20's and looking for a good time without TOO much craziness. Does it sound like I'm looking in the right places? Or does anyone have any suggestions for something else to consider?

My questions are: where can I find a list of sites of internet cruise brokers to find rates? How do people get upgraded? I really want a balcony room but it seems lots of people who book oceanview get upgraded there anyway. If I buy a cruise now, and the price goes down, do I get refunded? Are Carnival cruises mostly families and older couples, or will we feel pretty comfortable? Should I book airfare and cruise as a package deal or do you generally do better on your own? ANd is it smarter to go ahead and book now or wait until the cruise time gets closer and see if the price drops. Do Carnival's prices drop tremendously? (The week we plan to go is President's week, when he'll be off from teaching for a week.)

Sorry for the mess of questions--it seems like there's some knowledgeable folks around here. Any answers or references to links or something will help trememdously. Thanks a lot :)

Kay

I can't offer any advice on the ships you mentioned because I haven't been on any of them (yet) and I have only cruised on Carnival once. Whichever cruise you decide, go with a positive attitude and remember that your cruise is what you make it. IMHO, one can't judge what their cruise will be like by reading reviews of others' cruises.

There is a Cruise Critic group cruise I believe sailing the week of February 20 but I can't remember the ship or cruise line. Check out the CC group forum.

If you check into one of the Cruise Critic Group trips you will get an excellent rate. There are cruise critic groups leaving every week, i am sure you will find one you like, going to where you want to go at a good rate.

We did our first cruise in March on the Triumph, Eastern Cruise and had a blast.

You will also find so much info on this board that is so usful to you.

Welcome!

Judi Hensley

Hi Kay and welcome! I went on my 1st cruise with my BF and we did not feel out of place at all! We are in our low 30's... As for airfare, I would suggest booking separate, only if you plan on flying in the day before... if you are flying the same day, and your flight is delayed or anything happens, Carnival will not wait for you... As for the cabin, it is more rare to be upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony... it is definitely not the norm. If you want a balcony, I would suggest you book one, generally upgrades are deck to deck, not inside to outside or outside to balcony...

Good luck and have a great time!

Kay, welcome to the boards. I think you'll really like Carnival. I haven't been on the Spirit class ships, but have been on the Fantasy, Paradise and booked for the Destiny. You will find a good mix of ages on the ship. Carnival had the reputation for being the party ships, but I've never seen anyone rip-roaring drunk. There has been great shows, nice bars, and pool with slide.

The western caribbean is my favorite. They are just beautiful and many activities you can do ashore. You just can't go wrong with this itinerary!

I booked through Carnival (but I was a past guest and got a great rate) There are many discount cruise places. Just use the search engine. Make sure to keep on eye on the prices, because if they go down, make sure that your TA will give you a price break, or shipboard credit for the difference.

Good luck. You'll learn alot from this board. Don't be afraid to ask any question because chances are, someone here will know the answer!:)

Unfortunately, we can't travel before. He's a teacher so we're limited to his breaks. Kids don't really bother me, and I'm determined to have a good time no matter what :) It seems after reading ship reviews, people seem to say that on the Spirit-class ships you don't feel as if you're sharing a ship with 3000+ people?? That's gotta be a good thing.

My husband and I are booked for the Glory in April 05. We are both 24. I have been going on cruises since I was little. We just got off of the Sensation in June - with my family of about 37, ranging from 3-75 years old. I think that there is something for everyone on Carnival. I have always had a great time - no matter my age! We are both looking forward to the Glory!

Beacuse the week you are planning to cruise is a holiday, I suggest you book early and book a balcony if that's what you want and can afford. The ship is more likely to fill up upgrades will be harder to come by, and the price is less likely to drop. :(

Due to some bad eggs we can no longer mention specific TAs, but just Google "Discout Cruise" and you'll come up with more than you can shake a stick at. Don't forget your local TA's and Carnival itself. Don't be afraid to play one TA off the other, ie: "agency x quoted me this, what can you do?", to get a better price. I must have emailed 50 agencies before I booked my first cruise. Also don't forget to ask for quotes with port charges and tax included.

Make sure to ask TAs what there policy is on price changes and cancellation fees. Most will refund price drops and don't charge cancelation fees before final payment. After final payment everything is up to Carnival. They don't have to, but for the most part they will offer upgrades and /or shipboard credits in the case of a price drop. Your TA has to be willing to ask. Carinval is very strict about cancelation fees after final payment.

Another thing to think about is travel insurance. In your mid 20's you might think you don't need it, but there can be some freaky weather in February, or you or your bf could get hurt and some insurance won't cover you if you're out of the country. Anything could happen and insurance is cheap peace of mind. check out insure my trip dot com to compair different policies and their prices.

In general it's cheaper to book air and cruise separate, but just ask for quotes with and without air included.

Because the week you're traveling is a holiday you are less likely to get price drops, upgrades, and shipboard credits, but anything's possible. Keep your eye on Carnival's website for price drops (pretend you're booking a new cruise to get a quote). and if it falls below what you paid, get on the phone or email and let your TA know.

If I could give only one piece of advice to a new cruiser, that would be to get to know your fellow CC'rs going on the cruise with you! Take the time to meet aboard. Start or join a roll call thread or get in on a group cruise. At the worst you'll meet some folks nice folks to say hi to as you pass in the ship, at best you'll meet life long friends.

I sailed the Voyager last year--now thats a mega ship- Never did I feel crowded now did I have waits in lines for anytrhing that week. I think the builders do great jobs with the way the ship is built to disperse the crowds.

We loved the Pride (Brilliance class) except for some uneven service. I don't think you can do any better for a first cruise. Do scope out the pizza - especially for your boarding buffet. It was really good the week that we were on. We did one evening at the extra cost restaurant and found it to be totally worth it. Bon Voyage.

Depending where you are in upstate NY, you had better hurry if you are to book your own flight, as they tend to go very quickly due to the school breaks. I am a teacher as well in upstate NY and I have already booked my flight for April break and when I booked a couple of weeks ago, it was already well over half full. It all depends on when you want to fly and where you have to fly to. I will be sailing the Glory for the first time. This will be my 9th cruise with Carnival. I try to go on one each April break. So I started in my early 20s and now I am 30 and I have always had a great time, going both with Family, friends and my bf. I think you will have a wonderful time. It really it a great trip and it is what you make of it. I sailed the Pride too, you might like to check that ship out. I was with a group of friends and found the ship to be a little more romantic than I wanted for a group of single gals, but IMHO I did find it to be very pretty and could be very romantic. My favorite itinerary is Cozumel, Cayman and Jamaica. I have done it about 5 times. I always try to do something different every other year, but I always come back to that itinerary. I like the length of time in Cozumel especially and I like how the days are spread out for the week. Good luck

Kelly

Archived