Newbe to Celebrity

purplechic7106

Hi there,

Okay so any cruise is of course better than being at home. However, that being stated, my husband and I really enjoy Princess, but due to his work schedule he is no longer able to take Sat-Sat cruises. We're starting to come up with some ideas for our cruise next Feb, and because we must do Sun-Sun are finding our choices limited with Princess (we already did W. Caribbean twice and three days at sea on E. Caribbean doesn't appeal to us).

So we're thinking of trying Celebrity...any feedback on the differences? I've heard good things, but just wanted to check. We're an active couple in our late 20s/early 30s, love good food and service and exploring new ports on our own. Is there lots to do on the Celebrity ships as there is on Princess? Are there enough pools? (We really enjoy the Terrace Pool area on the Grand class).

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help!

purple,

There are a lot of celebrity VS princess threads if you search a bit on both boards and cheerleaders for both cruiselines.

That being said..you are very limited in celebrity as well for sun-sun cruises. I only know of the millennium but i could be wrong. Millennium only does the eastern caribbean (which you state does not appeal to you)

my suggestion: make a list of all the cruises that do sun-sun and then look at the itineraries. then narrow it down again from there price/ships etc :)

you may not have very many choices at all

have fun researching..

*sweet*

My first cruise was on Princess and I loved it. My next was on Costa (not as nice as princess). Then we did NCL (ships aren't as pretty as Princess) and had a better time and the food was fantastic. Sailed NCL for years after that but have outgrown NCL.

I first sailed on Celebrity in 2001 on the Zenith and had a good time but the ship was just so-so. In 2003 went on Galaxy and decided that Celebrity was the best. Since then have sailed on Millenium and Constellation and they are my favorite ships of all time (I've been on 18 ships)

I have recently sailed Oceania, which is double the cost of Celebrity and had no complaints but Celebrity is still my favorite.

Millenium is a lovely ship. Have a great time and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

You will find the food and exploring on your own just fine with Celebrity. However, there is nowhere near the amount of activities on Celebrity as there is on Princess. I am a die hard X fan and have cruised once with Princess. My 20 and 30 year old children liked Princess much better for the activities. The Queen Bee and I also had a ball on Princess...still X wins our loyalty.

We have sailed on 7 "regular" [can't count Xpedition - fabulous but not a true cruise] Celebrity cruises and 3 Princess. They both are very professional cruise lines with a lot of experience.

We did not enjoy our Diamond Princess trip to the Mexican Riviera; largely because it is too big (2600 pax), had long lines, was crowded and offered bad dinner seating arrangements. We liked our Regal Princess cruise tour to the Baltic; partly because the six day land tour in central Europe prior to sailing was very well done. We also enjoyed Sun Princess to Alaska, and again the land tour portion was extremely well run.

We like the food and dining arrangements on Celebrity better, and contrary to what one poster said; we think the daytime "Enrichment Series" on X are excellent. While the "big" shows are comparable, we like the solo musical performers and classical quartets on Celebrity.

Princess, with more ships, offers more choices of itinerary, but whether that is a true advantage depends, as in your case, on the time available. Also, their "Mini-Suite" with balcony offers a great deal of room for a reasonable price, if the ship you choose offers that accomodation.

If I were contemplating a 7 day cruise, I would think about Celebrity to Alaska. You cannot do a land tour in seven days, and Celebrity would be a good bet for a week long Inland Passage trip. Of course you can't do that on any line in February. In fact, Celebrity is limited to the Eastern Carnbbean in February 2008. They do not do a Mexican Riviera until later in the year.

The only 7 day cruises available with any cruise line are Alaska with no land tour, the Mexican Riviera and the Caribbean.

There are also a few repositioning cruises up the west coast in early May when the lines move some of their ships from the Caribbean to Alaska for the summer; and similar return cruises in September.

You can go on line to any of the cruise lines and order brochures, which will arrive in plenty of time to do the research.

purplechic7106,

Hi there,

Okay so any cruise is of course better than being at home. However, that being stated, my husband and I really enjoy Princess, but due to his work schedule he is no longer able to take Sat-Sat cruises. We're starting to come up with some ideas for our cruise next Feb, and because we must do Sun-Sun are finding our choices limited with Princess (we already did W. Caribbean twice and three days at sea on E. Caribbean doesn't appeal to us).

So we're thinking of trying Celebrity...any feedback on the differences? I've heard good things, but just wanted to check. We're an active couple in our late 20s/early 30s, love good food and service and exploring new ports on our own. Is there lots to do on the Celebrity ships as there is on Princess? Are there enough pools? (We really enjoy the Terrace Pool area on the Grand class).

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help!

The most significant difference is that Celebrity does not offer the "Anytime Dining" option. I strongly prefer traditional dining, but YMMV.

There are other differences, but they are not as significant.

>> Celebrity has both wine servers and bar servers in the dining room, whereas the waiter and assistant waiter fulfill their functions on Princess.

>> Celebrity also has assistant cabin stewards.

And, of course, the evening shows are different but of similar quality.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Archived