Best Excursions- Bahamas & Flordia

Witchblade

Hi, This will be my first cruise. May 13, 2007 6 days and it stops in Port Canaveral, Florida 9- 7p.m. Nassau 9;30 till 3 p.m. and Great Stirrup Cay Private Island Bahamas. 7;30 p.m. till 2 p.m. the next day.

Which excursions are very good and which ones are not worth the time? I am 38 years old and single. I will be going with my sister. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Who should we get to know on the ship . What can be done on the private island. We are not big on just laying on the beach. What are the best activities. cm8319@yahoo.com:confused:

Hi,

I was on that itinerary twice.

All depends on what you like to do. There's Disney and Universal Studios I don't do ether on a cruise but it's an option if you don't want a beach day. I did the airboat ride through the ship in P.C. and it was great my mother and I both enjoyed it. Second time we stayed on the ship.

In Miami we did the Duck tour lots of fun and you get a feel on the area, went to the beach after that then went to Wet Willies after and had a blast! Lots of fun.

Private Island there's parasailing available not sure what else I like to get off the ship early and get a hammock and relax looking out at the ocean and the ship docked it's just so relaxing.

Read some reviews and then get an idea of what you like.

Have fun!!!

Just got back from this itinerary.

Port Canaveral is the "long" port day, where you have the opportunity for more extensive excursions than either Nassua or the private island.

Personally, I think an eight hour trip to Disney or Universal is a waste (that amount of time at either is like going to a great ice cream parlor, ordering a massive sundae and taking two bites and then leaving). But early May (if that's when you're going) is historically a somewhat quieter time at both, so go for it if that's your preference.

If you at least want to see the local beach scene and do some shopping, do the Cocoa Beach shuttle.

If NASA interests you, do what we did: skip the ship excursion. Instead, buy your ticket in advance from the NASA website and take a cab round trip from the pier (a 15 minute, 20 dollar or so ride each way). You don't need eight hours to see the place, and being on your own is much more flexible (we did both NASA and Cocoa beach that day).

Nassau is such a short stop (about 4.5 hours ashore max) that your options are rather limited. If you want a water based excursion (sailing or snorkeling), I'd stick with NCL sponsored ones to be safe re: timing. Atlantis (which we did) is best done on your own, cab or water taxi over; you can easily see the whole place in two hours. The touristy area right around the pier (straw market, Pirate's museum, Senor Frog's etc.) is IMHO pretty forgettable (too many locals badgering you), but others find it entertaining.

The private island stop is a two phase experience. The "nightime party" is overrated; the attraction is basically cold pizza and the Calypso band (it's worth going over to, but tires quickly, which is why the return tenders get full early).

The next morning, try to be on an early tender if you want real estate at or close to the water (late arrivals have to sit way in back). While the water is nice, snorkeling there is C level at best, very bare reef and scare fish.

Archived