underwater camera help

Madkitty

I dont tend to do any snorkelling / scuba but thought this would be the best forum to ask the question. I am trying to decided between getting a disposable underwater camera ($15) or the specific manufacturers housing for my camera ($130) - has anyone used the disposable ones with good results and have some pics they can show.

I suppose its really a cost issue but want to be able to take pics in the sea and of the stingrays in the caymans

Yes a disposable camera will be fine for quick pictures.

And yes you can get a disposable camera with a flash, yes you DO need the flash! You will loose all of your hot colors if you do not have a flash, this starts about 10ft. underwater.

The camera to look for is the SnapSights (brand) Flash camera. You can get them from REI and some wal-marts ( $16.00 - $11.00 ). I also saw them on ship during out last cruise but way more expensive.

One other nice feature of this camera besides the flash is that can re-load the camera it is not a one use system.

Read the instructions and remember the real effective distance for using this type of camera is about one body length. Everything is magnified under water so your ability to relate size and distance will be off so use a std. reference, one body length. Don't shoot pictures at to sharp an angle, try to be on the same level as your subject. Remember to take your time and relax, some of the best underwater pictures are taken by snorkelers not scuba divers.

I have an underwater digital camera. I love it. It is a Sealife Reefmaster. If you have a digital already (I assume) you should consider the manufacturer's underwater housing if it is onlyl $130. I've tried 35mm cameras in the past. I was very disappointed because of lost pics, poor quality, poor color, etc. Also, you can spend lots of money on disposables, processing, etc.

The nice thing about the digital, of course, is that you can see the pics right away and not have to wait for processing. I just take tons of pics and don't have to worry about running out. When I get back to my computer I just sort through them and delete the unwanted. Also, keep in mind that you can use the housing in other places like climbing the waterfalls (Jamaica).

Good Luck!

thanks - I really want to get the housing but it seems difficult to take care of. I know that I would want to take the camera out of the housing as soon as I have used it and as for freshwater hmmmm not too sure where I would find that as im presuming its chlorinated on the ship?

I think Im also scared stiff that it will leak at some point and ruin my lovely camera :confused:

thanks - I really want to get the housing but it seems difficult to take care of. I know that I would want to take the camera out of the housing as soon as I have used it and as for freshwater hmmmm not too sure where I would find that as im presuming its chlorinated on the ship?

I think Im also scared stiff that it will leak at some point and ruin my lovely camera :confused:

It's up to you. From what I understand the manufacturer's housings are built very well but not rated for deep diving. You could consult them to see if there is any kind of guarantee that it will not leak and, if so, a guarantee that the camera would be replaced. Whatever you do..... DON'T try one of the so called "waterproof camera bags" that people mention. They do leak on occasion and the pictures come out distorted.

Kirk;)

Get a housing for your camera if you have the money. They're easy to maintain, rinsing them in the sink, shower, etc. works just fine on a cruise ship. You'll enjoy the picture quality from your camera, you can take tons of pictures since it's digital instead of guessing what comes out, and you can edit them later if need be so they look their best. The housings look intimidating, but are easy to use, especailly if you're used to your camera. All the same buttons apply for the controls, etc. And while flooding a housing does happen, it's rare and can be prevented easily by checking the seal and making sure the housing is latched. go for it- you'll be glad you did. FWIW the pics in my signature on from our Canon point and shoot camera with a Canon housing. What type of camera are you working with? Oh, and Good luck!

yep after much deliberation youre right and ive bought one for my casio - can you tell me how easy it is to grease/look after the o-ring as that is what really concerns me?

your pictures are stunning - any tips also on whether i should use a flash and also should i set the camera on the cloudy setting?

yep after much deliberation youre right and ive bought one for my casio - can you tell me how easy it is to grease/look after the o-ring as that is what really concerns me?

Easy as pie. All you have to do is put a drop-really, just a tiny drop- of the inclosed grease between your thumb and index finger. then just sort of pull the o-ring through your fingers once or twice, just enough to make it a little shinny. That's it. Just make sure there are no pieces of sand, etc. on the o-ring and you're set.

your pictures are stunning - any tips also on whether i should use a flash and also should i set the camera on the cloudy setting?

If you're diving...Flash is best used when you're close up- the closer the better in UW photos. Ideally you can manually set the white balance and you won't need a flash. also, if your camera supports RAW mode, you can always color correct later.

cloudy is what some people use. If you're using a flash, it won't matter much, the flash will take care of the colors up close. Otherwise, I'd suggest using the white balance to get the best color you can. If you have any other questions, let me know.

And thanks for the kind words about my pictures...!

Otherwise, I'd suggest using the white balance to get the best color you can. If you have any other questions, let me know.

have nvr used that but I know its there - do you increase or decrease it?

also with the o-ring do you grease it every underwater session and then when the housing is clean just pop it in a small plastic bag, or should you regrease it then as well? sorry to sound silly :o also how long should an o-ring last / be replaced...bearing in mind I will prob use it 3/4 times a year

For the white balance, you can choose one of the camera settings or manually set it- by using a white object, while diving, I use a dive slate and balance off of that. Basically the camera looks at something that should look white (a slate/swimsuit/etc) but doesn't underwater (the water makes it look blue) and adjusts the colors to what they should look using the white object as a base. It's easy to do and your manual will have it - or a google search will help out there.

In the year and a half (roughly) with all the pics on our website, I've probably greased the o-ring 4 or 5 times, and plan to do it again when we leave for a trip in a few weeks. When you get your housing it will tell you whether to leave the o-ring in during storage or whether to take it out (the dull tip of a butter knife or credit card works well to remove it without cutting it).

Honestly I don't know how long it should last, a long while if it's cared for I suppose... you can always get a spare from the manufacturer, they're usually less than $10 if I remember correctly.

Get a housing for your camera if you have the money. They're easy to maintain, rinsing them in the sink, shower, etc. works just fine on a cruise ship. You'll enjoy the picture quality from your camera, you can take tons of pictures since it's digital instead of guessing what comes out, and you can edit them later if need be so they look their best. The housings look intimidating, but are easy to use, especailly if you're used to your camera. All the same buttons apply for the controls, etc. And while flooding a housing does happen, it's rare and can be prevented easily by checking the seal and making sure the housing is latched. go for it- you'll be glad you did. FWIW the pics in my signature on from our Canon point and shoot camera with a Canon housing. What type of camera are you working with? Oh, and Good luck!

Hi there! I am also interested in purchasing the underwater housing for my camera. I recently purchased the Canon Powershot SD800. The u/w housing is pretty expensive but I think it will be worth it in the long run--now I am just trying to convince my fiance of that!

We will be on our first cruise in April. I am really nervous about being on beaches and just leaving my camera on shore while swimming, so I thought I could just take it in the water with me whenever I go. I was wondering if it is best to just leave it in the housing the entire time while in port, even if not at the beach? For example, we'll be hiring a driver in Cozumel so I will want to take lots of pictures in and out of the water. It wouldn't make a difference in quality, right? Also, there seemed to be a question about chlorine. Can you use these in the pools? I always assumed that would be fine. I am glad to hear that these are easy to use. Looking at the Canon website, it seemed like it might be a hassle.

First... check with places like reefphoto.com or b&h photo video online or adorama.com for housings, there are usually pretty good prices at one of those places. Second, you can leave it in the housing the whole time if you like, but it's just as easy to take it out and pop it back in if you need to- if you can open a door you can deal with the housing. It's just one latch which secures most of the manufacturers housings. There are two reasons I wouldnt leave it in the housing if I were taking a bunch of pictures on a land tour- first, you may get streaks or smudges on the window in front of the lens unless you've got a good cloth to dry it very well. Also, the controls, while easy to use in a housing are still easier to control with out for most folks. Something else to consider (although if you're snorkeling at the surface, probably not a huge issue) is if you have the housing in the water for a long period of time and take it into the sun for a long while, you may get moisture build-up. I've not had this happen, and you can get some of those moisture muncher packets to solve the problem, so it isn't a huge concern.

Oh, and using them in pools? sure, just remember to rinse the housing or soak it if possible in fresh water when you're done-just like after salt water. Good luck!

but its still ok to wash it in the shower? just wondered as that is chlorinated. I suppose whether you take it out or not is dependant on whether you can clean it beforehand - just out of curiosity are the showers on the beaches freshwater?

If you get out of the water at the beach and want to start taking pictures on land, you'll be fine to pop out the camera and take pictures, just dunk the camera under the shower, water fountain, bathroom sink, etc. to get the salt off the housing. When you get back to the ship, run it under the sink for a little while to make sure all the salt is off. The issue is letting the salt crystals cut up the o-ring, but it's not likely to happen and I'll admit I've failed to rinse my housing for a few days after shooting- of course I then let it soak in a pot of water at home for a few days to get the salt off. Most dive boats for example have a camera bucket- it's just a bucket of freshwater you dunk the camera in, nothing fancy, just enough to prevent the salt from crytalizing. It's a lot less work that it sounds.

and if you can't rinse it before taking out the camera, just wipe the housing off, pop out the camera and close the housing back up. Rinse it when you get back to the ship and you'll be fine.

if you want to play it safe, just grease it up when you get the housing, and then just put a little on when you won't be using the housing for a while and you'll be set. if you run your fingers over the o-ring and it feels dry, or it's been a few months, go for it, if it is smooth and a little shiny, you're all set.

also just seen inside the box are 5 silica gel sachets - can you tell me what I need these for?

feel a lot more confident after putting camera inside to see how cute it looked - its blimmin tight when closed LOL

ned to look at the instructions as the o-ring looks like a real bugger to get off :eek:

The o-ring isn't too bad, just use a dull edge like a credit card to remove it- or a butter knife. the silica packs are typically placed inside of the housing with the camera to absorb any small amount of moisture which occurs with temp changes in the housing.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got back from snorkeling in Grand Turk/Caicos Islands, where I used a cheap Fuji one-time use underwater camera. Photos were fantastic! So if you don't want to spend the money, this is an easy alternative (just $8.95 at Target).

Hi Barbarella,

What excursion did you take in Turk and Caicos Island? We will be on the

Carnival Triumph in May and still unsure about what we want to do. Any info would be great. Thanks. Luanne

We were in the same position as you, use our current camera or just buy disposable. We tested the fuji camera and were satisfied with the results...it's only point and click, but I took some decent underwater pics in the pool as a test run. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
I am trying to decided between getting a disposable underwater camera ($15) or the specific manufacturers housing for my camera ($130) - has anyone used the disposable ones with good results and have some pics they can show.

What digital camera do you have? I would like to buy either an Olympus 770sw or a compact digital camera with housing. I had bought a Pentax w20 for snokelling in Hawaii last September but unfortuantely it was lost on our trip to Cozumel a couple of months later. It was great for snorkeling but I just couldn't stand the shutter lag and don't want to invest in the Pentax w30 when it appears from reviews that it has the same shutter lag and we are getting certified before our Bermuda cruise in September and I would like a camera I can bring diving. I have a Digital Rebel Ti and I love it, but not ready to pay over $1,000 for housing and would like another compact camera for off the ship. Has anyone bought and used the Olympus 770sw? I've read reviews for this camera, and I'm not conviced this is the right camera either. Thanks!

Archived