Sea-sickness on NYC departure?

Ralphpea

We have cruised from Florida several times and my wife has had no problem with sea-sickness. We are concerned that if we depart from NYC she will get sea-sick while we are in the Atlantic. We are thinking about Feb or March of next year. Can anyone comment on both departures and how rough seas might be? Should we be concerned?

The north atlantic can and sometimes is rough sailing for the first day or so.. The ship will provide free sea sickness pills if needed.. Most captians steer away from high seas, but you never no what the weather will bring in mid winter..

The north atlantic can and sometimes is rough sailing for the first day or so.. The ship will provide free sea sickness pills if needed.. Most captians steer away from high seas, but you never no what the weather will bring in mid winter..

1) Will all ships really provide FREE sea sickness pills? I thought I read somewhere that they are expensive to get once onboard. (we are sailing Crown Princess)

2) Is it better to start the sea sickness medicine a couple days BEFORE you leave to avoid the problem all together?

Thanks -

It can be anywhere from dead calm to a bucking bronco. Just back last week. The only bad place was...off the Coast of Florida other than that I hardly new I was on a ship so calm, when I get off the house sways for a couple of days but not this time. Most cruise lines give out free Dramamine or its over-the-counter alternative. You need a script for a patch(scopolamine).... There are bands and ginger and other home remedies some which actually work...

1) Will all ships really provide FREE sea sickness pills? I thought I read somewhere that they are expensive to get once onboard. (we are sailing Crown Princess)

2) Is it better to start the sea sickness medicine a couple days BEFORE you leave to avoid the problem all together?

Thanks -

I read an article in a magazine recently by a doctor, and they said that sea sickness tablets were more effective if you start taking them 24-28 hours before you need them. Apparently if you do not take one until you are feeling sick it is really too late.

Our doctor prescribes the generic form of Reglan for us. We start taking it the day before and take it morning and night while on the cruise. We have been in some pretty high seas (26 feet on the way to Hawaii last year) and have never been bothered by seasickness. Standing up was a bit of a challenge but at least we weren't sick!

I read an article in a magazine recently by a doctor, and they said that sea sickness tablets were more effective if you start taking them 24-28 hours before you need them. Apparently if you do not take one until you are feeling sick it is really too late.

Yes, this is true. Once you begin to experience sea-sickness symptoms, Bonine or Dramamine won't do you any good--the tablets will just come back up with everything else, if you know what I mean.

In case of emergency, you can get a shot from the ship's doctor. (I forget what the medicine is called, but all ships' medical personnel are very well familiar with it!) It will knock you out for 12 hours or so, after which you will be fine for several days.

However, as with all medical conditions, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So if you are at all concerned about sea-sickness, I would highly recommend that you take a non-drowsy-formula table (e.g., Bonine) a few hours before the ship sails. (24 hours in advance is too much.)

For any Europeans reading this it's worth buying Stugeron (containing cinnarizine). I've just done some research on the net, and it seems the informed opinion is it is more effective than Bonine.

Archived