flying fish sandwich on the beach?

surrocruiser

We were in Barbados Feb.07,2007. We did the Natural Wonders tour with GloryTours.org. During the tour we stopped near Bathsheba on the east coast. This beach was beautiful, had mushroom shaped rock formations and some facilities. The surf was a little rough. Also a guy with a baby monkey selling stuff by the road. We went toward the town of Cattlewash and stopped for a flying fish lunch.It wasn't very far from the beach area. I believe it's the closest resturant to the beach area. I don't remember any fish being sold at the beach though. I would suggest that you e-mail Sarah at Glory Tours, she might work out details for you.

Take a cab to the Blue Monkey restaurant for 20.00 for two people. There is no flying fish sandwich on the menu but we asked them to make us one and it was wonderful. Beach was nice too. You can also swim out to swim with the turtles on your own. Very nice day and inexpensive too.

"Any recommendations for a restaurant/beach bar on the beach that serves a great flying fish sandwich? We are also looking for a beach to hang out at. We will be doing this on our own so any and all details would be greatly appreciated".

Take the shuttle for a buck (U.S.$) up to Sandy Lane Beach just south of Holetown about 20 minutes from the dock.

There you’ll find Cocomos right on the beach. Great Flying Fish cutters, pina coladas and the coldest Banks and Carib beer on the west coast.

Not usually a quiet beach as you would find on the East Coast, but if it’s too busy for you, shuttle north toward Speightstown for another buck and enjoy the beach in and around the Lonestar Garage. Great food (a little more expensive than Cocomos) and a small, but nice beach. Most days you can see the Hawksbill turtles swimming at the north end of Dottin’s Reef, just ¼ mile from the Lonestar. When Tony Blair visits Cliff Richards on Barbados, they love to come to the Lonestar.

The bus is an alternative @ $.75US/ea. Taxi rates are US$25/hr if you chose that method.

Flying fish is Barbados' staple :o) You can find them almost everywhere. My DH and I vacationed in Barbados last year for 8 days...We would take the local bus for $0.75 or $1.50 barbados dollar and stop at any beach. We bought the fish from locals and also their Banks beer. It was wonderful.

On our last cruise we went to Mullins beach and ate flying fish sandwich at Suga Suga restaurant..I believe we paid $16 for a sandwich but it came with plantains, or fries and a salad and the beach restaurant is right on the beach..very cozy place.

The bus stops right there..a taxi for two will cost you about $30 but if you find a share-ride you will pay $20. hope this helps..I LOVE flying fish ~ Els

Ps. in St. Lucia by the botanical gardens there is a lady who sells whole flying fish (head and tail still on the fish) for $1.00 and chicken for $4.00 the best food I ate during the trip..I am not kidding and I am still alive three weeks later :o)

Archived