Double stroller on cruise?

ljmandelbaum

I'm trying to plan well in advance. We are taking my twin daughters on a cruise this summer. They will be just over 2 years old when we go. I know I have plenty of time, but I'm thinking should I bring the combi twin savvy stroller (which is narrower than a wheelchair) or just 2 umbrella strollers. The umbrella strollers are a pain to push.

Thanks

I absolutely LOVE my combi side-by-side, but I strongly suggest a front/back stroller for a cruise. I bought a used one on Craig's List for cruising and I promise it's a worthwhile purchase. I also cruised with my husband in a wheelchair many times, and while everything is accessible, it was very often difficult getting through areas (and believe it or not - I encountered more sneering people at the wheelchair than what I've encountered with a stroller). Corridors, aisles and elevators are much more navigable with a front/back, as they are often crowded with cleaning carts, people, deck chairs, etc.

The two umbrella stroller idea doesn't work if you want to be able to go somewhere with only one parent. (I guess you could buy those connectors...). With that said, I have seen lots of twins on cruises, and they're usually in umbrella strollers (the kind with a sun shade and that lie back for sleeping). I don't have that option, since I'm on my own with my girls, but you might find it the best option if you don't want to get another stroller, as long as both parents will be there to push all the time.

Oh - and your combi most likely will not fit through the door of your cabin - you'll have to take the twins out, then fold it up before entering. My Graco DuoGlider did fit through the cabin door on our last cruise (on Carnival), but it was tight.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I've read not to take side-by-side doubles since you won't be able to fit them down the halls when the room stewards have their carts in the halls. We just got a new umbrella stroller (Chicco C6) for my dd who will be 16 months when we cruise, and we'll make my 3yo walk or ride on shoulders. If you don't love your umbrella strollers, check the C6 out. It has a good visor, 2 position recline, a carry bag (airplane travel), and is only about $50. Or, if you want a front to back double, I'd check Craigslist or Ebay.

Have fun.

Beg, borrow or steal a front/back - especially if the umbrella strollers are a pain! I forgot to mention how wonderful it is to have someplace to hang the diaper bag, put water bottles, snacks, purchases, etc., beach gear - both on board and especially on shore.

There can be good distances to walk - especially with a whining toddler - so you want to be able to put one or both into the stroller, even if you hope they'll be fine walking. Also, they can fall asleep in the stroller and you can go on about your day or night. On tenders, I also felt safer with them secured in the stroller, rather than just trying to hold onto them.

I also strongly suggest a cabin as close to some elevators as possible, as the corridors can be quite long - especially if there are room steward carts, etc., in the way.

I took my twins at 13 months, 20 months and then for their 2nd birthday, and we always had the time of our lives, but the last one was by far because they really did enjoy it even more - especially going to a different pool/beach on shore.

Please feel free to ask me any questions. You will have an amazing time!

Best,

Mia

Don't have twins but I took the umbrella stroller on every cruise until he was too big for it. It is great. It handles well on cruise ships and fits neatly in the elevators. I assume there will always be two of you pushing. If so, then umbrellas without a doubt.

We used the stroller exactly once with my 23 month old.

For boat drill, becuase I could not carry her or sling her with the life jacket on. What a pain... But honestly, for just boat drill, we could have left the thing behind.

Oh, and we used it on Roatan to haul the carseat out to the van.

If your girls are mostly walking and only riding occasionally, consider leaving the stroller behind and purchasing a couple of mei tai baby carriers, one for you, and one for your husband. You can wear the girls on your back comfortably when they need to be carried and it will take up much less space than if you try to shlep a stroller.

For older kids, my favorites are Babyhawk (the XT or Toddlerhawk size) or the Kozy Carrier. But we also used Freehand--the FH Mei Tai was great, but the Freehand Podaegi may well be the fastest back carrier I've ever used. I brought two on the cruise and didn't regret it.

Oh, and after our experience on this cruise, there is *no age* child for whom I would bring a stroller on a cruise, period. The stroller was unnecessary bulk and there were no situations (other than the boat drill) where I would have rather had her in a stroller than on my back. It is simply *so* much easier to get around wearing the baby rather than pushing the baby--I could take the stairs and not wait for elevators, could go in shops more easily, show lounge was simple, dinner was no trouble, and it meant I always had two hands free if the seas were rough. The one time we used the stroller, it was just a flat-out pain in the neck from start to finish.

So glad to see I'm not the only babywearer here!

I haven't cruised yet but I have done a lot of travel with little ones and I don't budge without a good carrier. I went to England for 10 days, three cities last summer, alone with my three (then 2, 4 & 6) and the 2yo was in a backpack. The other suggestions were actually better as they're easier to store onboard a ship.

You're also getting into the will-they-or-wont-they walk stage. You drag the strollers around and you can both chase the kids and try to keep an eye on the strollers...bad enough with one but twins!! I think the carriers encourge them to walk without overtiring them and forget all those steps and small doors.

It also keeps them near and less likely to get into "trouble" i.e. pulling things off shelves in stores.

There is a ton of info on the web. For baby wearing advice, try peppermint.com, kangarookorner.com and/or thebabywearer.com. You can then use their links and see pictures.

Happy shopping!

I have cruised with a three month old, a six month and a 13 month old and a three year old. In the Caribbean, I would not want to haul a baby on my back- way too hot for all involved.

An umbrella stroller folds up, doubles as a crib for a napping baby. The hallways are long and it doesn't interfere with the flow of traffic. I used my umbrella stroller until the wheels fell off. To each their own but it made my life and my child's life easier.

If we were at the beach, I could park it under a palm tree and not have to disturb the baby if we wanted to take a stroll. You can even hoist in the van with a sleeping baby to return to the ship. Stroll right back on board without any trouble.

Take one- if you never use it, it stores easily in the closet.

I just have to put in a pro-stroller vote here, especially since the OP is talking about 2 year old twins - exactly what I just cruised with. Even if we were crusing with two parents (I'm on my own with mine), I don't know how I'd manage dressing up at night, putting babies on both our backs and then going to dinner with their bag of gear. It was nice to just keep their "busy toys"/sippies, etc. in the stroller and take them in and out of it as we went places. As long as you give yourself time to wait for elevators, I never had any stress using the stroller - and in fact I find it really convenient on shore as a place to hold everything! Also, I saw many parents with their sleeping babies/toddlers in strollers in the evening - a nice way to be able to enjoy a show, a drink, etc.

I'd agree to bring a front/back or two umbrellas, and then if you don't need them they can just be stored away. The three cruises I've been on with my twins, there has always been a place to put the stroller in the cabin that was out of the way.

Best,

Mia

Another vote for strollers here. I loved to carry my baby, but due to intense back, hip, leg and ankle problems it was out of the question by six months. We used an umbrella stroller and it was great.

To the OP do you know anyone with a Phil & Teds you could beg/borrow? There was a lady with her two year old twins on our last trip and she had one of their three wheelers with one in front/one behind seating. It was about the same width as my umbrella fold and she found it really easy to manouvere her two in.

I hope you have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify, I don't think this is an either/or debate. I do think carriers are a good idea for travel in general.

I've been hospitalized for sciatica and I just can't manage pushing a stroller. It's how I hurt my sciatica once on vacation which almost ruined the trip (a lot of valium saved it lol!) So my sling is definitely a back-saver.

Sometimes strollers just aren't convenient and if the children already walk...

I also managed well with a Peg Perego which had foot pads for the other child. With twins though, I think they need to cooperate as far as who stands and who sits.

Archived