Onboard the Dawn now!

latitude 22

1. Did Princess start charging for the desert bar that is held each day at around 4:00 pm? I read on another board that they had started to charge for the Sundae bar.

NO NO NO....it's an ice cream bar with 2-3 ice creams and assorted toppings...

desserts at lunch you must have (well I must have) tiramisu, papaya cream cake, key lime pie, their version of churros...(cover me I will snag the entire platter of churros and meet you by the aft pool):D

2. What beverage selections are available in the dining room (besides the outrageously-priced drinks)? Do they still have the juices for no additional charge?

i always get ice tea..and really the wine is comparable to land. you can order a bottle and have it brought out each night.

3. Is there any place to post an announcement for fellow passengers? We've booked a deep sea fishing charger in ACA when we arrive and would like to split the cost of the trip with someone but I have no idea how we would find someone to split with.

go to roll call area on cruise critic..it's THE area to rendezvous with your fellow passengers...

4. Since you have been to ACA before, what would you suggest doing/seeing?

you MUST do the cliff divers, ACA is a beautiful port from the ship.

stay away from hotels..google news on aca for latest info...

5. Since you are an elite member do you get your Internet for free? How many cruises do you have to have to get elite status?

Go to princess.com for all details on the captains circle..currently I am unlimted internet, as discussed on other threads that changes April 1st

you can read about it on the other threads it's been talked about ad nauseum.

6. What kind of temps are you seeing down there? The weather said 92 in ACA. Was it hot there?

it was very hot, has anyone seen those things that you soak in water and then you wrap around your neck and keep you cool...bring those...i picked ours up years ago at an art and wine show

7. What do you suggest doing in Ixtapa? We haven't been there before so I don't know what to expect.

I don't like Ixtapa, it was a man made creation..yuck..

part of travel is doing the research on what appeals to you personally, this will also help you understand the people and local area...so as my mom used to say and I mean this very sweetly ...look it up... :D :D if you have questions on things that you have looked up that appeal to you personally I will be more than happy to answer them..here's a few places to go..goole the port, go to do ports area on cruise critic, check out your local library.

Thanks for the answers. I love anticipating!

you are most welcome!

Latitude22,

Thanks for the information on Fenando and Cerengia in anytime dinning. We are late eaters usually after 8:30 so hopefully we will be able to find a nice table in their area. How about the steak house, have you tried it and did you find any good waiters? On some ships we have found the steaks to be very good and on others just OK. Also could you tell us more about the wine tasting. Do they still give you a discount on a bottle to order with dinner if you attend the tasting? Was the digital camera class worth it? We bought a Nikon D50 after our Alaska cruise last year. One of our table mates had one and showed us her pictures as compared to ours with our little digital and it was like night and day. Only problem is we need to better understand how to use it.:confused:

Thanks again for all your help. We will cross paths on Saturday. rflarson, as latitude suggested come join our roll call under Dawn March 10th. How much is the deep sea fishing?

Ho out

Not to hijack Latitude's thread, but I found the Steakhouse a bit lacking on the Dawn. Don't get me wrong, it was a good meal, but they really do not have a "separate" Steakhouse, at night they cordon off a part of the Horizon Court (think Bistro on other princess ships) and use it for the Sterling. But, it does have nice window views aft of the ship.

Ed

Not to hijack Latitude's thread, but I found the Steakhouse a bit lacking on the Dawn. Don't get me wrong, it was a good meal, but they really do not have a "separate" Steakhouse, at night they cordon off a part of the Horizon Court (think Bistro on other princess ships) and use it for the Sterling. But, it does have nice window views aft of the ship. Ed

Horizon Court (and Sterling Steakhouse) are forward on the Dawn.

Before we made reservations at SS, DH and I asked for a tour of the evening set-up in Horizon Court. Once you are seated, the atmosphere is so elegant and the views so breathtaking that you don't even think about this area being the "buffet".

DH and I opted for dinner at Sterling's instead of a previously arranged dinner at a pricy restaurant in Acapulco. We were tired from our long morning shore excursion and simply didn't feel like leaving the ship again, finding a taxi, etc., so we made reservations for that evening in Sterling's. This dinner turned out to be one of the highlights of our cruise - second only to our vow renewal on my birthday :) . I can safely say, also, that this was our finest dining experience ever on a Princess ship.

Bon Appetit! and Bon Voyage!

Chris

agree with cruzn chris...keep in mind Sterlings on this class of ship is diffrent in location than other classes.

i think you should take a look at the menu and see if it suits your taste buds..if the cost concerns you..

always on the menu in the dining room are beef tournedos and they are incredible ...

no discount if you order wine..i know it use to be done but on this sailing it was not done

the digital class is basic, but check out the book before class maybe you know more than you think..

kodakgallery.com has excellent tutorials about taking pictures

while checking for email from my dh thought i would post this before i go for my 2 scoops of ice cream with caramel sauce and chocolate sprinkles

this is the 1st port this has happened...

take note....

we are in puerto vallarta

to get back on the ship the mexican authorities have a 1st line check point. you are asked to show a drivers license or passport...you then have your bags go through their inspection everything was opened. you can be wanded ...i was ....

beep beep around my chest...ma'm please identify...underwire bra

beep beep on my hip...both hips...small rivets on jean shorts..

ok, i can proceed now..regualar ship procedures...BUT

this time they are confiscating alcohol...a whole table set up for this ..you show your cruise card and they give you claim check!

just a fyi...someone can post this info on the main board, i don't want this thread hijacked on that topic.

i've provided all the details i can.

hasta luego mi amigos!

Latitude22,

Thanks again for all your help. We will cross paths on Saturday. rflarson, as latitude suggested come join our roll call under Dawn March 10th. How much is the deep sea fishing?

Ho out

Princess wants $159/person for the deep sea fishing. We currently have a 40 ft boat chartered in ACA for a total of $270 with only my wife and I on it. We'd be willing to pick up another couple for a total of 4 of us and split the cost for a total of $65/person + boat tip of probably another $5-$10/person.

We're in our early 40's, don't drink/smoke, and would welcome another couple (not a bunch of guys as my wife would probably have an issue with that) if someone wants to split the boat with us.

I'll also post this in the roll call so I don't hijack Latittude's great thread.

Lattitude... the checkpoint in PV with the Mexican Auth. Were they the ones confiscating booze or Princess? Were they taking single bottles or just the boxed mutiple bottles?

This is a great thread.. thanks for taking the time to post. Do you know if the new docks in PV are ready yet?

while checking for email from my dh thought i would post this before i go for my 2 scoops of ice cream with caramel sauce and chocolate sprinkles

this is the 1st port this has happened...

take note....

we are in puerto vallarta

to get back on the ship the mexican authorities have a 1st line check point. you are asked to show a drivers license or passport...you then have your bags go through their inspection everything was opened. you can be wanded ...i was ....

beep beep around my chest...ma'm please identify...underwire bra

beep beep on my hip...both hips...small rivets on jean shorts..

ok, i can proceed now..regualar ship procedures...BUT

this time they are confiscating alcohol...a whole table set up for this ..you show your cruise card and they give you claim check!

just a fyi...someone can post this info on the main board, i don't want this thread hijacked on that topic.

i've provided all the details i can.

hasta luego mi amigos!

We just returned from the Diamond Princess and went through the same check-point in PV.

We had made arrangements independent of the cruise line, to take a whale watching tour two weeks ago - the departure time had changed since booking the cruise, so we had 90 minutes to kill before our departure. So, we decided to head over to Sams Club to buy some tequila and return to the ship before embarking on our tour. The first check-point with local PV security consisted of ID check and bag check. We passed through without any incident around 8:30am. When we got onto the ship, another check of bags and ship ID only this time.

Since they didn't have the booze table set up, we took our two bottles of tequila back to our stateroom. We had no plans to drink it on the ship anyway, so we had no problems checking in the bottles, but security just waived us through.

I mention this because early in the morning, they still didn't have the tables set up - I believe by mid-morning they did. All hard liquor was being taken from people returning to the ship and returned the last day of the cruise.

Latitude's mention of PV reminded me of the best shore excursion that DH and I have taken on any cruise. We did the "Mexican Cooking Class and City Highlights Tour" when we were on the Dawn 1/25-2/5/07.

We had great fun preparing our authentic Mexican lunch with fellow passengers at a nice restaurant - Santo Tequila - that is also a tequila factory. Our lunch included homemade tortilla chips with fresh salsa that we prepared from scratch. We then added fresh avocado to the basic salsa along with a few other ingredients for guacamole. Next, we were given pre-cooked beef, along with other ingredients for assembling tostadas. Finally, we rolled and pressed flour tortillas, placed them on a very hot cooking surface, watched them on the grill, then selected a filling for the enchiladas that we garnished with assorted toppings. Everything was amazingly fresh and delicious!

Afterwards, we learned how tequila is made and tasted several different flavored tequilas that are made on the premises.

I highly recommend this shore excursion for anyone who visits PV.

Chris

drumroll please.....

Captain Chatty is Marco Fortezzi...

Captain Marco has a problem with on time departures...he gets here on time, but i think he kind of does the italian shrug of his shoulders and leaves when he feels likeit

this does not mean you should shrug your shoulders and get back when you feel like it!

booze was confiscated onboard by princess.

I am guessing on this....i don't think the new docks are ready...

our waiter from our last cruise, said that there have been docking issues lately and more and more ships have had to tender PV.

that's why the itin was moved around.

in our elite packet we received tender tickets for PV and were instructed that we might be tendering.

my elite compadres ...laundry went smooth had it in by 10am, checked the presto box and my laundry appeared at 5pm....

i heard mega millions is over 100 million take home would be 40 million...

My mom and then husband and I could take the 2 aft mini suites and I could have pajamas pressed for the rest of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

adios..

BTW, thanks to all for keeping this a HAPPY thread! turns out nice threads can happen on cruisecritic!!!! :D :D :D

Lurker...since I was just married last 4/30...I still have a residual wedding planning mode in me...anything you want to know?

We appreciate the offer. This is our 10 yr anniversary so we thought it would be cool doing the vow renewal onboard. We are leaving the babminos with the grandparents so its more like an anniversary cruise ;)

I understand they do the vow renewals as a group ceremony and the night of the ceremony can vary.

Thanks again for the insight especially with the onboard Scholarship at Sea classes. My DW had mentioned ceramics and or cooking. She also perked up when you mentioned Cha Cha classes :eek: I can feel my back already!

Enjoy your cruise and save some churros for us!

We appreciate the offer. This is our 10 yr anniversary so we thought it would be cool doing the vow renewal onboard...I understand they do the vow renewals as a group ceremony and the night of the ceremony can vary.

DH and I celebrated the vow renewal on the Dawn on January 27 (2006). Our 35th anniversary was last June 25.

Since we were the only couple who had requested the vow renewal during our cruise, we were able to select the day/time as long as the Captain was available. We chose Saturday, January 27 that was also my birthday (57) at 5:00pm. It wasn't formal night but we dressed to the nines. The ceremony was beautiful and more emotional than we'd anticipated. Afterwards, we went to the Wheelhouse Lounge for champagne cocktails then to dinner at a romantic table for two. The rest of the cruise seemed like a honeymoon :) !

Congratulations on your anniversary and Bon Voyage!

Chris

ok folks..

the long skinny cabins CAN BE MADE INTO a QUEEN

you will have more storage space about 3 more drawers.

the diffrence is... that your bed as a queen takes up more floor space than say the twin configuration I was referring to. if storage is more important go for the long skinny if floor space is more important go for the other....both rooms can be made up as a queen.

Does this make sense...

latitude 22,

I would also like to add my thanks for your posts. I am not sailing on the Dawn until Oct and I can't wait. Reading your posts makes me want to go now. I guess I will have to be a good girl and wait my turn. I have to wait becuase I am starting a new job and my brother should be comming home in four months, so I need to wait until fall to cruise. I have heard that Oct is a good time to go to Mexico, so I hope I will have good weather.

NavySis

Buenos Dias from Mazatlan..

I wont be getting off the ship today, since I've been here a lot...

some visits i have total recall, others not so much...

Ever since I partied with crew 17 years ago at Senor Frogs ...I am still haunted by the smell of tequila...and that day is the reason I will never be able to run for public office, I am sure some videotape would surface with me and crew dancing on tables with sombreros on our heads etc etc :eek: :D

Anyway,

i am staking my claim on deck 12 with my book....:cool:

which I bought myself as a New Years present.... 2.5 months ago and haven't had time to read while on land...

promise me you wont fall off the chair laughing at the irony ....

it is .....

YOU on a diet!!!!

I know the next couple of days totally counterproductive...

but i'll be ready when they unceremoniously punt me off the ship on the 10th

tons of spa specials today....cheap....i will have to check the patter again for specifics...but this looks to be the port day for deals.

Lattitude you are so funny. I know how the crew parties as they were at the Boatyard last year with us. Man can they drink. Funny thing is .. they showed up at their posts for dinner that night with a smile on their face. Some a little paler than others but needless to say they were there.

Enjoy your last few days and thanks again for your wonderful posts.

Thanks for sharing your great sense of humor. Have really enjoyed your postings and they have given me several chuckles. Have booked the Dawn for April 08, so I'm lapping up all the info about the ship.

genoa...

i could have taken the easy way out and just pulled out the patter and checked, but I take each of your requests seriously....

so, I personally went to the bar...

I believe you mean the Riviera Bar on Deck 12 near the pool.

Deck 14 is the Oasis grill.

The Riviera bar is open 10am-7pm...

I would also like to say my pina colada was delicious

if i went to the wrong bar...let me know..i will have to redo this task..oh darn

To everyone...

Each port they have been making the announcements the Mexican govt is strictly forbidding food to come ashore.

and as a California girl who lived through our horrible medfly invasion...don't bring anything into SFO when you disembark...because that cute little doggy will find you and bark you into a corner while its handler searches you and if they find anything it's a HEFTY fine...

45 minutes until free ice cream or tea...not sure what i'm in the mood for today!

yes, i did read my book...but i am able perfectly capable of rationalizing away the next 4 days....ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

oh did i mention the printing is 50 cents a page

last night I watched mission impossible 3, little miss sunshine is playing today and I think my mom said Babel was in the Patter..

PSA

please be nice to koos the internet manager..he is just following company policy that was given to his company from Princess head honchos...

people have really been shooting the poor messenger...and he really is such a cool guy and unbelievably patient with people who barely know how to use a computer.

Hasta luego mi amigos...

I thought i would share this with those of you that have wondered what the upgrade bathroom amenites for elites are...

this will make you feel much better.

the labels say lotus spa, but i haven't seen these in the spa the scent is eucalyptus....(how I wish it could be lavendar)

so i ran out of my fancy schmancy Pureology conditioner...I have long thick hair that tangles....... ALOT...

so i pulled out my lotus spa conditioner...

i smell like a Christmas tree...if i stretch out my arms you could hang ornaments on me.... :D

plus it was wimpy......... suave is a 1000x better...

so for those of you that think ...wow i wonder what those upgraded lotus spa amenities are like I wouldn't mind those....

you aren't missing out on anything when it comes to that aspect of elite perks...

Archived