Where would you choose to snorkel?

baccimi

My mom and I are going on our first cruise on the Freedom of the Seas 4-15-07. I was wondering if anyone here has done the catamaran snorkel trips in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

I have been on snorkel trips in Aruba but this will be the first time my mom will ever experience it and I want her to have a great time and great things to see too!:D

Any and all input is appreciated (even just input on which has better snorkel conditions!!)

Thanks again...this site has helped us sooo much!

:p

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest the "swimming with the stingrays" excursions in Grand Caymans and then they give you snorkeling equipment to snorkel around with also. It's awesome to be able to touch the stingrays and feed them.

Do the Stingray City/snorkel combination in Grand Cayman where you can swim with the stingrays and also snorkel in a great area near the sandbar where the rays are. If you want something closer to where the ship anchors, take the tender ashore and turn to the right on the main street. Walk down about a half mile to Eden Rock, which will be on your right. Good snorkeling right there.

In Cozumel, do either Chakanaab or Dzul-ha...you can take a taxi to Dzul-ha for about $8 one way....excellent snorkeling right from the beach. It is not really a beach; just a small restaurant/bar with chairs near a rocky area. You can tip the guy to get you a chair and watch your things and also buy a drink/snack from them. Step in to the water right from the rocks for excellent snorkeling. In fact, some of the snorkeling excursions from the cruise ships go to this location. Much better and cheaper to just do it on your own. Go early in the morning because my experience has been that is often has rained in the afternoon. Snorkel in the AM, go back to the ship and change, relax and eat lunch, and then shop in the PM so you can be near the ship to get back onboard in time before it leaves. Both ports have excellent snorkeling. Enjoy!!

Also, for future references, if you ever go to Roatan, the absolute BEST snorkeling ever is at Tabyana Beach....right from the beach...just steps into the water to an awesome reef.....

Archived