Wave runner tour to Stingray City

mnoo

I want to book this tour through Island Marketing, but I do not know which resort they leave from. I know we have to take a taxi. Also wanted to snorkle, is it available(and worthwhile) at Rumpoint? Can we rent equipement there? I like the idea of Capt Bryans since they go to the barrier reef to snorkle, but want the adventure of the wave runners for the teenagers!

Also what to do before the tour? From 6am-11am island time.

Thanks for any help!!

The waverunner tour leaves from the Grand Caymanian Resort, website is grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com. Our 17 year old son loved it and has decided that will be his career after college. It's a little difficult to get a taxi because no one likes to go to that resort since it's out of the way and has a very long entrance. The Cayman taxi's charge flat fees, no meters so I think they feel they get ripped off. We had to promise a good tip before we found someone to take us. Make sure the taxi takes you to the hotel--the sign for the hotel is a mile away from the actual hotel. Rum Point is shallow and tame, didn't see any snorkeling going on and we had our equipment but only used it at Stingray City. My hubby and son snorkeled after the tour near the pier, there are several spots you can walk to, like Cheeseburger Reef. You could do that in morning--they have some submerged shipwrecks, some coral, and several places within a couple blocks you can just walk to. Bring water cameras to Stingray City, the pictures are priceless. You have stingrays giving you back massages and kissing and hugging you. :)

I got a little overwhelmed by the all the planning required before we left, but once on the cruise I was completely able to relax, and everyone on the islands is so laid back that what we worry about here never matters once you get there. I wasn't thrilled about Stingray City ahead of time, I thought I'd be fearful but quickly got over it. The waverunner tour is great because it's just your group and two guides, and the guides have their favorite stingrays and they'll bring them right to you, so everyone can have their own to hold and pose with. The ships excursions had about 50 people to 2-3 guides, far less individual attention, and of course no jetskis. They'll also let you go as fast as you want on the jet skis, which my teenager greatly appreciated. We brought our money in a waterproof fanny pack; you'll want money with you on the jet skis because when you get to rum point there's a bar and restaurant and you'll be thirsty. And wear water shoes--it's kind of a rocky beach area and the walk to the waverunners hurt my feet.

We booked it through grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com, and the cost varies according to how many people and jetskis you rent. My hubby and I were on one and son had his own. It's about a two hour excursion. We booked the 11 am one, but got there at about 9:15 and were in time to join the early one. There was just my family of three and one other couple, and they each had their own jet ski and the woman said she'd have been fine sharing with her husband because the water is choppy and her arms got tired. My hubby and I traded off driving. You can hang out at the resort as well, they have a pool and hot tub and when we were there in February it seemed almost vacant. Next time I'll go earlier and spend some time in the hammock and pool before we leave :)

Archived