Do you cruise with kids in seperate room?

4merlurker

Just booked my first cruise (yipee) and dh and i decided to put the kids across the hall from us. I know that the cruiseline requires an "adult" in each room and that is how we booked it (on paper) but in reality the kids will be by themselves. (Yes, they are responsible and of an age where they can be alone)

My question revolves around room keys. how will that work. If I am assigned to the "kids" room how will I have a key to MY room and vice-versa for the kids?

Did that make sense. is this gonna cause a problem or does RCl look the other way. Could I just request extra keys for each room? :confused:

Hope someone can put my mind at ease,

4mer

You can always go to the pursers desk and request an additional key. When you board you will only be given the key to the cabin you are in.

EVERYONE will get a key. (its your sign and sail card and will need these in order to get on and off the ship)

The additional cards you request will only be cabin keys. no spending power on those.

Are all the kids in that cabin yours?? When on the Voyager my kids were in their own cabin a few decks below me. We were able to put them in their own cabin with me in there. Is this something new? I know if a kid was not mine it would be different.

I strongly advice you to keep an eye on your kids. We did this once with our daughter and 3 of her friends. These were all good well behaved girls between the ages of 16 and 19. I learned later after we returned home that an older gentleman was following them around and tried to get each girl to go to his cabin for a "drink". As he was old and not "cute" none of the girls were interested, thank goodness.

They also arranged to go to the beach with an assistant waiter who was 23 years old. The poor guy after that day disapeared from the main dinningroom and appeared up on the lido deck restaurant. That means he lost his income from tips which is the bulk of their income. Staff are not supposed to socialize with passengers. At the time there was a suit out against Carnival where a passenger had been raped by a crew member. I am almost sure the poor boy was fired and this was a decent young man. I felt horrible about that as the girls caused that.

I have read posts too where one young girl a fellow passenger had bought her an alcoholic drink and then tried to blackmail her into going to his cabin saying he would tell her parents if she did not. Fortunately the girl had sense enough to fess up to her parents. She was only like 13 years old at the time too. So just be careful-warn your kids that not everyone is a" nice guy" even if they appear to be and make sure you know where they are at all times.

I was told that RCCL only allows you to put the adults in the cabins w/kids, that kids, under 18, can not be booked in the cabins by themselves.. I would do the same, go request an additional cabin key... as, we are going to put the kiddies in the adjoining room, wouldn't be a problem for us.. :D

I was told that RCCL only allows you to put the adults in the cabins w/kids, that kids, under 18, can not be booked in the cabins by themselves.. I would do the same, go request an additional cabin key... as, we are going to put the kiddies in the adjoining room, wouldn't be a problem for us.. :D

Are you saying that if it is an adjoining room, they can be in the room without a parent? We have adjoining rooms booked, but our TA said that there has to be a parent in each room. Seems like it would be much easier if we could have the paperwork correct to begin with. Then we wouldn't have to bother with extra keys.

When you book the cruise, it is required that for each cabin there must be at least one adult. Once you board, you can request a name switch/change - Yes, it is allowed. We also requested extra keys to allow room-access by everyone to any room. We either book a connecting or adjacent cabins. We let them have time alone but we do watch them like a hawk (in secret). Once, we saw someone talked to one of the girls, my intimidating looking husband just casually walked over and stood in the back ;) . We know where they were most of the time using the post-it notes and the spying methods :D

Thanks for all the replies.

It is my understanding that kids are "allowed" alone in a connecting room to the parents.

My kids (ages 11 - 13) will be across the hall from us. OF COURSE their safety and well being are my main concern! I am not an extremely strict parent but I do have rules and my kids respect that. They are not allowed to go anywhere alone even the cabin. We always use a buddy system when we are out. We are also cruising with a large group of family & friends and our cabins are already assinged and near each other - there is safety in numbers!

My concern was room keys. but since serene56 says I can get additional keys (no charging privs) that works out fine for me. I was worried that since i am "officially" booked in the kids room that i would not have a key to my real room.

Has anyone done this before? I'd like to hear about some first hand experiences out there.

thanks again!

4mer

We have always been allowed to book our minor children in their own room, as long as we were the parent/legal guardian on the same sailing. It's only when they brought an underage friend with them that we had to put that friend in a cabin with an adult. If your TA is telling you you have to book an adult in each cabin, they are incorrect. If you have to, call the cruiseline youself. This used to be the rule several years ago, but as late as 1999 we've always booked our kids in their own cabin.

The time the kids had a friend with them, we booked the friend in the cabin with my husband and me with the other kids. When we got on the ship, we simply went to the purser's desk and they gave us an extra Sail and Sign card that served just as a room key. The room charges still went on the original Sail and Sign card. We didn't have to swap cards or anything. The purser put a punch hole through the card that was a key only so we didn't ever get confused as to which one to use (although the one that was a room key only wouldn't have been accepted as a card to put charges on anyway). It was no problem whatseover. She said it's done all the time.

Our plan was to have our daughters ages 11 & 15 directly across the hall from us. At that age we weren't worried about them sneaking out, etc. We booked as 1 parent in each room and got an extra room card when we got on board. Great Plan!

The second night our youngest was at our door-crying. She had been sleepwaking and woke up at the opposite end of the ship. After that dad was in one cabin, mom in the other!

They are going with us in March and will be 17 & 20, we will all be in the same room, we aren't worried sleepwalking- it's those other creatures that are lurking about:)

Your cat(s) have another twin in Chicago, my 2 year old Deja, he's pure white, ice blue eyes, a real sweetie, he's deaf,which makes him a pure indoor boy.

I did this with my daughter & her friend two years ago and will do it again this year on the Grand Princess. Worked well for us. You just request extra keys when you get on board. I agree about being cautious, and maybe since these girls have grown up in a big city they are more aware, but do spell out to them that there are weirdos everywhere and they always must stay together and never go in anyones cabin or invite strangers they meet to theirs. Have fun!!

We are traveling with our 15 year old son and his friend. We are staying in one cabin, but we had considered getting them their own room. After chaperoning a group of 15 year old kids (5 girls, 5 boys) last month at WDW, I'm glad we went with one cabin!

Dejavu,

So your lil guy is deaf, huh? When i told a friend that I had just gotten the most beautiful white cat with blue eyes she asked if she was deaf. She said most white blue eyed cats are. Wonder if there's any truth to that?

Anyway, just got my invoices for both rooms. DH is listed in one and i am in the other. I guess it's official. Luckily we can get those extra keys!!!;)

~ :) 4mer

sadly it's true about pure white/blue eyed cats being deaf. It's genetic so most (80% or so ) are affected. I would love to post his picture but its jpg. and it say It's too big, too many pixels and I can't change it. (?).

Anyway, have fun on your cruise, keep a close eye on the kids, get the extra keys & above all else ENJOY!!!.

We were on the AOS in June and did exactly what Serene56 siad to do. We were booked as one adult and one child in each room, but while we were checking in we requested and received extra room keys. The sea pass card says "Extra room key" right on it. No purchase power on those cards. My kids were 17 and 18 and we, too, did some stealth fly-bys to see what they (and others) were up to. ;) Buddy system, voice mail messages and specific times to check in with us were all utilized. Your kids will have a blast! Enjoy!

I have taken kids on 3 cruises....not all mine..but we have always been in the same room. This time will be different, I have booked them their own room directly across the hall. Ages are 12,15,15,16.....and their lives will be threatened if they do wrong....We did it without having an adult in the room...they said because we were directly across it was fine...and I will also get a key to their room....

gina

Archived