Quick Stingray City Question

enchantingqueen

Hi Everyone,

I've tried searching the forums for information regarding how long it takes to get to stingray city and have not had any luck. So if anyone knows how much time it takes on the water I would really appreciate it. Also, how rough is that water typically or from your experience. The reason I'm so concerned is because my boyfriend gets seasick and I just want to know how long we'll be on the water to see if he can handle it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sofi

Hi Everyone,

I've tried searching the forums for information regarding how long it takes to get to stingray city and have not had any luck. So if anyone knows how much time it takes on the water I would really appreciate it. Also, how rough is that water typically or from your experience. The reason I'm so concerned is because my boyfriend gets seasick and I just want to know how long we'll be on the water to see if he can handle it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sofi

My recollection is that it is not more than 10 minutes or so from the pier to stingray city. Since he can stand in the water there, I doubt he would feel seasick. Sitting on the boat and not getting in the water, he might.

As always, it depends upon the capabilities on the boat your tour is on.

10 minutes is overly optimistic. That's only on a flat calm day and going out on a waverunner.

For most boats it takes about 20-30 minutes each way. How rough the water is depends both upon the wind strength and direction.

I would strongly advise persons prone to seasickness to take a medication prior to such a trip regardless of whether it is a calm day.

We've been twice, from two different areas, and I think about ten minutes on a bus to the pier, then 20-30 minutes on the water to the sandbar, as another poster suggested, is about right.

The first time we went it was almost calm, the second slightly choppy. None of us got seasick, not even the four under-six kids we had along. Definitely use sea sick medication. I don't think the ocean is normally very rough there, but of course it just depends on the weather on the day you are there.

When we did Stingray city, in January, it was very choppy. It took about 30 minutes to get to the sandbar. I was traveling with my Mother - she never gets seasick, we even had a sailboat for many years and she never got sick. But when we went to stingray city, she got very ill. She was fine on the boat ride to the sandbar, but when she climbed into the water and the water was so choppy and pushing her all around, she got right back onto the boat. While she was sitting, on the boat, while everyone was in the water, she started getting sick. She was prettty bad - I never saw her like that. So to answer your question, if your friend is prone to seasickness, I would take some medi meclizine before going on the excursion.

Archived