Hotel tips for Miami

R Prim

Well, we finally booked her - the Triumph for January. I am curious about Priceline. We will be flying in so we will have to have transportation to the hotel then to the port (we are flying in the day before). How do I know - in the end what will be cheaper. We usally book something either with airport transportation or port transportation. I am sure this has been adressed in the past but I couldn't find anything on the boards for Miami - thanks!

WE are staying at Radisson in sept. that we purchased thru priceline for 40.00. Have talked to other that are sailing on Triumph with us that have gotten the Marriott and Doubletree. All three are within a mile or so from port. I know for sure the Radisson has a great view as we stayed there 2 yrs ago. as far as transportation goes if your flying into Miami I believe cab fare is 20-25 dollars to downtown hotels. Trans. to port about 12.00

We flew in a day ahead when we sailed on the Victory 2 years ago. Rented a car at the airport for like $40 or 50. Returned car to airport the next morning and the rental agnecy then took us to the port. Just as cheap as taxi from airport to hotel then hotel to port and we had the car to go sight seeing the evening before our cruise. We stayed at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay and had CCL check in there the morning that we sailed. Don't know if CCL is still doing check in at the hotel anymore or not. Haven't seen anything on here lately about it.

By having a rental car at least your not stuck in a hotel room staring at the walls.

I would definitely use Priceline again.

Most hotels in Miami have a shuttle for a small fee, maybe $4.00 or so. If not, the taxi ride is usually about $10 - $15.00.

If you choose a 3 star, you will get the Sheraton, Radisson or even the Hyatt. No LESS than that.

Most (like us) get the Radisson, which is a VERY nice hotel. Rooms are beautiful. Once booked, we requested a port view and got upgraded to a corner room with a city AND port view. More than enough room for us and the 2 small children. Newly decorated with contemporary furniture. Nice lobby with cascading waterfall. Roof top pool.

Oh, did I mention I bid $35.00 and got accepted??? Now, the Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons will cost you $79.00 easily.

There isn't really much to think about. I'd say the Radisson would be a $150.00 a night hotel. For $35.00??? Can't be beat. The other hotels in the category are equally as nice if not nicer.

Don't wait another minute, bid away!!

How do you know you will get one of these hotels. Aren't there a lot of hotels in downtown Miami?
Amber (Burbunny) has an excellent website, www.biddingfun.com which explains many of the nuances of identifying specific hotels offered through Priceline and Hotwire.

using bidding for travel I found the cheapest way was to stay at the airport hotel. (which offers free shuttles from the airport to the hotel) the hotels at downtown you had to pay a cab. But on the down side there is no place around that you can eat or anything--you are stuck in the hotel for the night.

When we were at the Radisson one of the employees recommended a place to eat that actually sent a limo to pick us up and bring us back for free. It was a very good italian place, I can not remember the name. Ask the Bellman about it. It was in South Beach.

After a lot of great advice from these boards I tried Priceline.com for the first time. We are leaving on the Triumph out of Miami on 8/28 and I was able to get a room at the Hyatt for $44.00.

Lovin' it!

Good luck on your plans!:p

We stayed at the Hyatt downtown. At the airport, we went outside and one of the airport guys hailed a cab for us. We needed a minivan because there were 6. It cost us about $25+tip from the Miami airport to the hotel. On Saturday morning, there was a Carnival check-in table so we were able to get all that out of the way before we got to the dock. That was wonderful. No standing in cattle lines just to check in. Went directly upstairs, got our Sail & Sign cards, and relaxed in chairs until embarkation was called. We had the concierge at the hotel call for a minivan taxi to get us to the pier--I think we paid $25 because it was a full-size van (with a crazy woman talking on her phone the whole time she was driving us!!!). The Carnival lady told us a taxi was cheaper and would get us there earlier and she was recommending it to everyone who asked!

Laura

Carnival Triumph 07/04

Carnival Triumph 11/02

OctoberDestiny - hello to you too, actually live just around the "corner" in Union.

MCMom - I see where you just got off of the Triumph - which itinerary? We sailed her back in 2002. Have they kept her up?

What is the best way to get to Bayside Marketplace from the Radisson Hotel in Miami? I saw information on Chris's website about the metro mover, but it wasn't clear if there was a station near to the Radisson. Would it make more sense just to plan on a taking a taxi?

:confused:

We stayed at the Radisson in mid-June with another couple. Our plan was to take the metromover and spend the evening at Bayside. I asked for directions from one of the hotel bellhops and he suggested using the hotel shuttle for $1 per person. Usually the shuttle only runs on the hour but since the driver wasn't busy at the time he took the four of us right away and dropped us off right in front of Bayside.

The shuttle picks up people at Bayside at 15 minutes past the hour to return them to the hotel. We didn't want to wait around so took a cab back instead. The cost was around $5 so not much difference than the four of us paying for the shuttle.

The next day we also took the shuttle to the port...that cost was $4 per person. I think we could have gotten a cab for about the same price (or maybe slightly cheaper) but by taking the shuttle all four of us could ride together (we had an enormous amount of luggage.) We did tip the driver both times we used the shuttle.

Archived