No passport off of ship?

hitek

Hi all :)

I was just courious about waht you all think of this. I just called carnival to ask if there were lockers to store passport(s), camera ect in during a water excursion. She said that their was no need to take your Passport in to a port(in mexico), That your sign and sail was enough to get you back on board. This is my first cruise, so obviously I am confussed, but I thought you had to get a passport so that you could go into a forigen country and to make it back in to the USA.

Please let me know what you usually do, and if anyone (ie a TA or carnival employee) tell you not to bring your passport off ship, into a forgein port.

TIA for any help,

Angela

While the Carnival rep is correct as far as entry back onto the ship is concerned, I take a couple of photo copies of our passports with us and my wife carries one for each of us in her purse or beach bag when we leave the ship...just in case. Never had to use them and hope I never do, but just a habit with us.

You don't need it to cruise, but to fly in and out, or drive in and out of Mexico you do. It's a good idea to take it with you off the ship in case something happens and you missed the ship.

I normally don't take passports off, only photo id liscense. But last week a friend of mine was on a RCCL beach excursion and missed the bus back. (due to the bus driver sayingt they were too early) In fact missed the ship and was stuck in Cozumel Mexico with no id, no passport, no credit card and 200 cash between 6 people. They had a very difficult time getting to the airport 8 hours away and once they arrived to get thru the airport security and the boat had faxed their copies of thier passports to them at the shore prior to going to the airport. So I will Alway take a credit card and passport even if I am just doing a beach>>>>

Just back from Mexico and we did bring our passports off the ship for the above reason. If, heaven forbid, we got stuck we would need the passport to fly back into the U.S.

Before our last cruise I bought waterproof bags that clip onto a waist belt. DH wore it while we snorkeled and it did not get in his way at all.

This is the link for the bag:

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/dp65.html

Just back from Mexico and we did bring our passports off the ship for the above reason. If, heaven forbid, we got stuck we would need the passport to fly back into the U.S.

Before our last cruise I bought waterproof bags that clip onto a waist belt. DH wore it while we snorkeled and it did not get in his way at all.

This is the link for the bag:

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/dp65.html

Bakmmo just proved the point that you do not need to take your passport ashore with you. The ship faxed a copy of it and that is all his friend needed to get on the plane. Leave the passport on the ship were they are safe and take copies of on shore. I bet there are more passports lost or stolen by ship passengers than were ever needed for I.D.

I made a wallet sized copy of the first page (front and back)my passport and laminated it. I carry it with me when I leave the ship and it is small enough to either fit in my back pocket, my regular wallet or a water wallet.

It may not be completely valid, but it makes me feel better!

Bakmmo just proved the point that you do not need to take your passport ashore with you. The ship faxed a copy of it and that is all his friend needed to get on the plane. Leave the passport on the ship were they are safe and take copies of on shore. I bet there are more passports lost or stolen by ship passengers than were ever needed for I.D.

I was guessing post #7. I was off by one. You could follow the advice of the U.S. Department of State and carry your original passport with you any time you are on foreign soil, or you could follow the advice of anonymous people on this message board and carry a copy of it, or nothing at all. The choice is yours. Doom and gloom..

I take mine with me. I purchased something called an Aquapac. It is watertight, goes around neck or belt (or even in your pocket) and is perfect size for passport, money, CCs, license, ship card, etc.

I also have the Aquapac. Everything I need is put into that and I wear it around my neck. Works for snorkeling, etc. just great, and I don't have to worry about losing it.

I have said many times on these boards that I would never set foot on foreign soil without my original passport. A copy is kept in my safe, but copies can be altered, so taking one on shore would do no good if the ship has left and you can't get back to your original passport. You can't get back into the states with a copy!:rolleyes:

Unforeseen things do happen, and if you miss the ship, then possibly become ill or whatever, you have no actual proof that you are a U.S. citizen.

Duck is correct. On several islands, I've had to show my photo ID before being allowed back in the area to board the ship.

My point was that you DO need your passport off hte ship. THey gave them a very hard time and spent a lot of time (hours) trying to convince the security that it was ok with the fax. The only reason they let them on the plane was becasue the new regulations had just begun. NEVER LEAVE THE SHIP WITHOUT YOUR PASSPORT!!!!

My point was that you DO need your passport off hte ship. THey gave them a very hard time and spent a lot of time (hours) trying to convince the security that it was ok with the fax. The only reason they let them on the plane was becasue the new regulations had just begun. NEVER LEAVE THE SHIP WITHOUT YOUR PASSPORT!!!!

The mistake they made was not calling the state department directly, they could have faxed clearance that would have been acceptable. They are very aware of the NO passport requirement to cruise the caribbean and that US citizens may be stranded in a foreign country without a passport.

There have been several examples of people that called and by the time they were at the airport, the airlines had the letter from the US government allowing people to clear security etc.

Passports are not required for cruising yet, so while many have them a very LARGE number of people are getting off the ships in foreign ports without them - because they don't have them.

Ports of call are not Beirut, they are very friendly places, your passport will not protect against the true dangers - Natalee Hollaway had one... Everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with. I am more concerned about theft and leave my passport in the room safe. I would be very relaxed having lived abroad for years and traveled extensively that I would not have a problem without it. Traveling to an airport will take much longer than the red tape.

Here is the link:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#12

I never take my passport off of the ship it stays in the safe until disembarkation. When going to shore the only thing you should need is your sail and sign card and a picture id(I take my drivers license). Or any picture id will work.

I was guessing post #7. I was off by one. You could follow the advice of the U.S. Department of State and carry your original passport with you any time you are on foreign soil, or you could follow the advice of anonymous people on this message board and carry a copy of it, or nothing at all. The choice is yours. Doom and gloom..

I am not sure how anything I said was doom and gloom. I was just stating that there is a higher probability of cruise passengers having their passport lost or stolen in a Caribbean port of call if carried when it isn't really necessary. My DW is a flight attendant for a major carrier and you would be amazed how many passports are left on the plane because passengers use them for ID to board the plane and leave them in the seat pocket. 99% of the flights are domestic and are not even leaving the country.

If someone is more comfortable carrying one by all means do...

I am not sure how anything I said was doom and gloom. I was just stating that there is a higher probability of cruise passengers having their passport lost or stolen in a Caribbean port of call if carried when it isn't really necessary. My DW is a flight attendant for a major carrier and you would be amazed how many passports are left on the plane because passengers use them for ID to board the plane and leave them in the seat pocket. 99% of the flights are domestic and are not even leaving the country.

If someone is more comfortable carrying one by all means do...

OK, but if you lose your passport, you can still get on the ship. But if you miss the ship and don't have it, or need to get back home in a hurry, you may have difficulty leaving the country by air expeditiously. The doom and gloom thing was an inside joke aimed at someone else. Sorry for the confusion on that.

For cruises to the Caribbean or Mexico 99% of people will be OK not taking their passport with them, just don't be in that 1 %. You will have a experience of a lifetime. Across the big pond you better learn to be carrying a passport, and money or credit card. Cruises to the Baltics, Med. Seems their are alot of posters don't think anything will ever happen to them. Hope it never does.

A big thank you to everyone.:) Still not quite sure what to do but it really helps to hear everyones thoughts on this. On one hand I think it would be perfictly fine to just take a laminated copy, one the other, if I just spent $100 for a passport I dont evne get to really "use" then waht was the point, KWIM? I am leaning more to carrying it than not, just worried that the aquapak would leak, and ruin the passports.

Thanks again,

Angela and Thomas

Quote "My DW is a flight attendant for a major carrier and you would be amazed how many passports are left on the plane because passengers use them for ID to board the plane and leave them in the seat pocket. 99% of the flights are domestic and are not even leaving the country."

Just proves there are stupid people everywhere. Our passports go with us and are carried in a secure manner. Won't do me any good locked in the safe.

And if I lose it, I'd rather be arguing with the customs official in Miami when I get off the ship with it missing, rather than by long distance from some foreign airport.

As one who travels for a living, I can tell you that the safest thing to do is take your passport - and secure it like you do your credit cards and cash. In addition - make a copy of the passport and keep it in a separate location - and have a family member at home have one as well.

All is well if you embark the ship with the rest of the people onboard - but if you are not able to ( my husband was in a bad moped accident in Mexico - we had to stay behind in the hospital ) your S and S card and ID do you no good what so ever.

Things happen - play it safe.

Archived