Advantages of staying on ship at Port

coachrains

I walk with the help of a cane and I plan on staying on the ship when we port. I've have seen it before, and loved it, but it is a lot of walking! I did a lot of shopping in Cozumel last year but this year I'm going to buy it on the ship and get a massage. Hope it is half price!

As some have mentioned, it is nice and quiet. When we were in Freeport last December we decided to just stay aboard. WOW, it was gerat.

Staying abord the Antonia Graza would be better than getting of the ship in Freeport. :p

One port my husband and I went to at a cruise was really 3rd world, dirt everywhere, blood leaking into the streets at a meat market like maybe 300 yards from the ship. We debarked then turned right back around and spent the port day onboard.

Pool was barren except for two kids who kept going up and down the slide, decks were empty. It then started to pour rain while we were swimming, which was really awesome - the sky just suddenly turned all black, went *whoooooomp* and drenched us.

After lounging around in the sauna for a bit we went back to our cabin, dried off, cleaned up, and were ready for the ship to leave port. We watched as all the soaked, miserable looking passengers slogged back onto the ship and I hate to admit it, but we chuckled. Everyone just looked so pathetic it was almost funny.

Moral of the story: If you are in a place where you get the feeling to stay on the ship, go right ahead. I guarantee you'll enjoy your day, maybe better than the balance of the passengers :)

One port my husband and I went to at a cruise was really 3rd world, dirt everywhere, blood leaking into the streets at a meat market like maybe 300 yards from the ship. We debarked then turned right back around and spent the port day onboard.

Moral of the story: If you are in a place where you get the feeling to stay on the ship, go right ahead. I guarantee you'll enjoy your day, maybe better than the balance of the passengers :)

Do you remember the name of the port?

Really...that is a pretty broad statement. :rolleyes:

If the beer is half price I'm never getin' off that boat!:D

Draconis -- I like that one!

Coachrains -- Some lines offer discounted massages, discounted bingo. There are still activities on the ship. If the teens like swimming, they should have free reins of the pool area, hot tubs. There won't be many lines for buffets, etc. What would be your reasoning for not going off the ship? Sealicker said "...you sure will miss out on possible adventures of a lifetime by exploring or doing something." Which I thought was a good point, especially traveling with teenagers who may never get this opportunity again.

Regardless ... best wishes on your travels and have a wonderful cruise!!! :)

Do you remember the name of the port?

Really...that is a pretty broad statement. :rolleyes:

I do, but I'm leaving it out :)

It was a bad port that has now been excised from pretty much every cruise line. There were nice things to do elsewhere on the island, it was just that there was a meat market RIGHT outside of the port area and the smell/flies/blood was atrocious.

Wife and three teens - pros for staying on boat during ports, i noticed massages were almost half price?

The ship is nice and quiet, only a few people onboard, Take your time checking out the buffet as there are no lines and you can stack-up up to 3 Pool side chairs, Hog them all up for a few hours :D You can also ride the elevators all day long.

Fred

Wife and three teens - pros for staying on boat during ports, i noticed massages were almost half price?

None.........we cruise for the ports:D

yes even in Freeport, we stayed a beautiful beach. You just have to do a little research and you will find out more places to visit then just 20 yards from the ship.

I thought you couldn't do laundry in ports because of the water thing? I thought I read that somewhere, did I dream that?

I haven't tried to use the laundry while in port, but others have reported that they are often open while in port, but not always.

Archived