Just starting: question on handicapped people

postmanrings

Hi,

It's been 3 long years since being on the Triumph and now we are starting to plan for a April cruise with 4 friends. This time I have a friend who is handicapped and this is a new area for me. Do they have the motorized wheelchairs on board? How much? And is it possible for him to do much off the ship? Thanks for the help on my start. We have to first get the basics on when where and how much. It is a long process but I'm up for it . Be seeing you again and again!

No motorized wheelchairs supplied by Carnival. You supply any wheelchairs. Handicapped-accessable tours are available. Talk to somebody at the "tour desk" for details.

When we traveled with a friend last year, they had no motorized scooters.

She had a motorized wheel chair that we brought along.

If she has a scooter or wheelchair she will need to bring it.

Or it could be a good idea to rent one for the week. There is a lot of walking.

You must request a Handicapped accessible cabin at the time of booking.

The doors are wider (to fit wheelchairs and there is no raiser between the room and the bathroom. The toilet is supposed to be a little higher also.

The chair was still a tight fit.....and took up a lot of space in the cabin.

She was able to get off the ship only in ports where we actually docked.

The tender ports would not work for her.

Guess it would depend on how well your friend walks.

For the Handicapped access cabin you or your friend will have to fill out a special request form.

NOTE: Carnival has a bad habit if keeping these rooms in the regular rotation for assigning cabins.......So you may have to insist (if they claim the Handicapped cabins are taken) they double check to see if the room is really assigned to someone who requested a handicapped accessible room.

If you take one of Carnivals tours where they leave from one of the ships lounges, go to the person at the front of the room and remind them there are handicapped people in the group.

They have a terrible habit of suddenly announcing OK, follow me to a huge room full of poeple......then they lead the group off down the stairwells....without any announcement or instructions for people needing help or using he elevators.

GOOD PLANNING......WILL MAKE SURE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT TIME !:)

My father is handicapped and he has been on about 7-10 cruise. The worst thing he said is to stand waiting for an elevator an see all of these people capibal of walking the stairs just walk right past him and fill the elevator... no one even let him go first, they just cut in front of him so after the first day he started to take his crutches when someone would try to cut in front of him and kinda block their path.

Good Luck and Have Fun

We were on the Triumph in May. Husband uses a power chair. Had very few problems. We stayed in cabin 1001. We were able to move around room with very few problems. Only draw back was there are no handicap accessible pool. Staff were always very helpful to his special needs. You must fill out a form giving Carnival your chair demensions .

I keep looking at threads like this as my soulmate walks with a cane and uses a wheelchair for distances. I have been trying to convince him to go on a cruise next year and he's hesitant because of his disability. On our first cruise he was not disabled, and says it won't be the same.

In March, I was on the Legend with my mom, and from what saw, it was fairly accessible for lounges, shows and dining. There were both scooter and wheelchair passengers aboard. I even went from the infirmary to our cabin 7296 when my feet and legs got swollen. There were a few bumps, but not bad.

I do think tender ports would be a problem, but I'd be happy to stay on board, just being on a cruise with my sweetie is what matters!

special_requirements.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifCarnival seeks, to the extent feasible, to accommodate guests with special requirements so they are able to enjoy our ships and other facilities. Guests who have any medical, physical or other special requirements are required to contact our Guest Access Services at 1-800-438-6744, ext. 70025 or TTY (for hearing impaired) at 1-800-972-4386 to discuss the details of their needs.

Carnival Cruise Lines has a limited supply of wheelchairs on board each of our ships that are to be used for emergency purposes only. Guests who require the use of a wheelchair, should plan on bringing their own rather than relying on the availability of shipboard equipment. Shipboard wheelchairs are for on board use only and may not be taken off the ship. All wheelchairs and scooters must be stored inside the stateroom.

spacer.gif

Archived