Concerns about Sting Ray City

aprildawnmwc

My husband and I are going on a cruise in June and Cayman is one of our stops. Trying to figure out what to do when we're there.

It seems the thing to do is Sting Ray city, but we have some concerns.

I realize that they are "tame" but it still bothers me and scares me as they really are wild animals and no matter how tame they could possibly be...they are in the wild.

So I'm a little concerned just at the idea, but I worry that I'll be too freaked out to be in the water with all of them.

But on the other hand, it sounds like something not to be missed. And we will likely never be there again, so I don't want to miss out on what could be an amazing experience.

Any advice? Was anyone else worried or hestitant but really enjoyed it?

Probably 10% of passengers on Stingray excursions are "really worried."

Yes, the rays are really wild animals. More than a million passengers a year go to the stingrays. A very few are injured by stingray stings. It does happen, but it is unusual.

Much more likely is getting a stingray hickey. Stingrays generate a powerful suction to pull food out of the sand and into their mouths. If a ray's mouth forms a seal over your skin and sucks (perhaps because you were hold food and then wiped your hand on your leg thus transferring the smell) you can get a bruise.

I begged myself to relax and try this once-in-a -lifetime experience. I was the last one off the boat, and as soon as I got in the water I knew I was not going to get comfortable. I was out within 3 minutes! I watched from the boat while my family , including my dh, giggled and played with the stingrays. They had a ball! My dh was the last person to get back on the boat! He even got a little hicky on his finger and was proud of it the rest of the cruise!

This was before the Steve Irwin tragedy, so I didn't have that fear in my mind. I was just squeamish and didn't like the feel of them swimming around me.

I did enjoy watching the smiles on everyone else's face. Try not to miss it!

A couple things to keep in mind....

1. The stingray that killed Steve Irwin was a bull ray and the ones in Stingray City are southern rays. No one has ever been killed and like the previous post said, the most you can get is a "hicky".

2. Most of the companies have been doing these excursions for years and years and they have your utmost safety in mind.

3. It is a once in a lifetime experience and one that you don't want to miss. Go with a smaller company that takes smaller groups. They can give more one on one attention and when they know you are nervous or uncomfortable, can stay right beside you to make you feel more safe. You don't have to get or stay in the water for long. You just should long enough to get a picture with one. My husband and 5 year old son and I went with www.ebankswatersports.com and it was great. Capt. Shawn was very patient and made you feel very comfortable and definitely made safety a top priority. My son was scared to death and he calmed him down and got a great picture with my husband and son together and then my son was right back in the boat, but now he has this great photo and likes showing it to his friends and boasting that he was in the water with the stingrays.

I have gone swimming with the stingrays several times and have never felt the least bit threatned and I am not a very brave person. I think if you would just try it, you will like it and glad you did it.

I was a little scared, primarily because I don't like things touching me in the water. I shrieked a few times when they swam around me, but quickly got used to them and then really enjoyed myself. It's clearly their area, and they seem to enjoy the people--they do nothing to avoid you. The one that killed Steve Irwin was a different kind and over 200 pounds, these stingrays are nowhere near that big. I chose not to feed them, although my son and husband did and said it was a riot. We did hold them, and my husband apparently rocked one of them to sleep. :) I have pictures of myself hugging a stingray, which makes me feel quite brave and cool. I'm so glad I swallowed my fear, and I think you'd regret missing it. The water is very shallow and clear, so there are no surprises, and that fact that the stingrays don't try to hide or leave shows they don't feel invaded or threatened. We did the waverunner tour through grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com and had a blast.

I had concerns before we went but made myself do it and am so glad I did.

It was a bit freaky at first when they glide around you and I was worried about stepping on one especially as there was some wave activity which can push you off balance a bit. The water was up to my shoulders and I'm 5'3. But once I got used to it it was just an amazing experience. William at Moby Dick's was in the water with us holding one and I got to feed it and hold it as well. They turn their "lip" up when you kiss them!

They are very tame and gentle creatures who are used to being up close and personal with humans. I think it helped that we were on a smaller excursion with about only 25 people so we got lot of individual attention and support!

If the water was up to your shoulders it must have been high tide and I went during low tide...the water was under my waist.

Being afraid of the stingrays is like being afraid of flying and choosing driving (driving is far more risky than commercial flight). Your much more likely to fall off your cruise boat and die than to get serously injured by the rays.

It was a neat experiance. Im a fisherman and the only experiance I have had with rays is when I accidently catch one and they are very angry.

these guys are pretty amazing to have glide around you. I even "picked up" (they were still mostly in the water) a couple of 4 foot ones. I would post picture but they are on a CD and Im feeling a little lazy right nowLOL

We did the stingray tour and honestly I was terrified at first, and floated on the top for a while, cos it freaked me out when they touched my legs. After a while you got used to it, and it was an amazing experience, one I will never forget. I also have photos of me holding then and one of the guides gave us a stingray massage, when they hold them against your back and let then suck, sounds gross but was really cool. We did the reef snorkel after which was just beautiful.

This is completely different than the one in the Bahamas. And I agree that it is one of the lamest tours ever. I didn't even bother going in. The rays in the Bahamas are captive rays with a fence holding them in (all 16 or so of them. Pathetic) Swimming with the rays in the Caymans is fantastic. As far as I'm aware, the Caymans is the only place in the world where you can swim with noncaptive rays. We've been there 3 times and swam with the rays all three times. It is a tour not to be missed. We booked with Captain Marvin's twice and Ebanks Watersports once. Both were great tour operators.

When we first arrived in Sting Ray City I was scared to death, I even thought about just staying on the boat,but I didnt. It was the greatest thing I have ever done. Make sure to take a disposable water proof camera I got great pictures while I was there. I hope you have a great time there.

We did the stingray tour last year and it was a blast. On our tour there was even a paralyzed man and the crew made sure he had a blast in the water with the rays. Yes, they went to the extent of carrying him in and out of the boat, assisting him in the water, etc to make it an opportunity of a lifetime. Like others have said, they know what they're doing and they do it in a safe manner.

#1 tip for ladies - if you do feed them, make sure you do not touch your bikini until you're back in the boat. The rays are attracted to the scent of the food, not the morsel visually. They won't know that your bikini isn't edible. Yes, I did happen to see someone who forgot about the hickies mentioned above. Thankfully they did get her top back for her.....:eek:

We just did the Stingray City excursion on Friday (RCCL Explorer of the Seas). I was really apprehensive when I found out they were wild, but it ended up being an AWESOME experience. They are like pigeons that get fed all the time in parks...they are not afraid of people at all. They come right up to you, swim past your legs. I think if any of the stingrays were afraid of people, they would stay away from that area of the water...because there are literally tons of people there.

I wouldn't worry one bit. As my husband said...do it or you might regret that you didn't.

Also, we booked through Captain Bryans. Maybe we went on an "off" day, but they weren't that friendly. They weren't rude by any means, but just seemed all business. Get you on the boat, try to sell you pictures/drinks, get tips, get you off the boat.

Archived