***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

I may even print out the list, kathy. Where did you find that info?

TERRI, I HAVE BEEN ON SO MAY SIGHTS, I SWEAR I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I GOT THE INFO I THINK IT WAS FROM IANDMRSMOM OR SOMETHING. SO SORRY BUT I HAVEIT WRITTEN DOWN TOO I'M NOT SO COMPUTER SAVY. I WILL LIST IT ON THE MAY 13TH SIGHT WHEN I GET TIME O.K.:rolleyes:

Found this on the regular carnival site and am pasting here so more can read.

Well we finished our first port today. Pompii Sorento and Capri! It was the largerst group for an excursion. Pompii was alot of walking! but the history and the fact that you are close to a live valcano was very exciting! One of the stops before going into Pompii was the Camieo shop. The first chance to go the the potty! That is an experience in itself! No seat! Just hang it out and let it fly! In Sorento we went to a shop that makes inlayed jewler boxes and there we alot of places to shop. Tried my first sip of Lemonchello! Very smooth until it hits the bottom of your throat then you get the warming. Lunch was included at a little restaurant on a side street. This was included in the cost. Three courses, wine and water included. Then we take a hydrofoil to Capri. Very exciting! Of course you have to walk and ride a tiny bus on a very winding street...personally I would call it a path, very tight for two cars to pass.

My expericences were that if you are not able to walk lots of stairs then this is not the excursion for you! I do mean lots of steps. In Sorento you have to walk down around 100 steps to get to the port for the hydrofoil. would I do it again...no. Too much steps and not enough time to shop.

Add more later. I will add our arrival on a late date. The internet cafe here is expensive!:eek:

Alice Faye

Going to one of the most beautiful countries in the world and seeing so much history you have to be in shape.... obviously Alice Faye isnt... I was there 2 years ago and we walked and walked and eat and drank I dont go back until 8/5/07 but anyone going soon who hasnt gone.... GET GOOD SNEAKERS AND GET IN SHAPE... Would be a sin to miss so much culture because your feet cannot keep you going......

Ahhh yes, Europe....only for Bally's regulars! *LOL*

Even fit people, at a "certain age" have difficulty with stairs and climbing. Alice Faye is sharing important information of which each person -- who, I might add, is not sinning if they go to Naples and simply sit at an oceanside cafe and admire the view while eating some local cuisine -- can make a mental note, so that they can decide what suits themselves!

You are right. people of a certain age do have problems. As we speak my wife is on the treadmill readying herself for 8/17/07 / Freedom. My turn after she is done. After reading all the info. on this cruise we see that it's going to be a bit rough. We have signed up for the following tours.

Naples - Pompeii,Sorrento, Capri

Dubrovnick - The best of Dubrovnick- Then maybe some time on the walls

Messina - Taormina & Mt. Etna

Cannes - Monoco & Monte Carlo

Florence - Florence & Pisa

Hope we can make it.

I agree Terri910 Its about relaxing. You are never going to see it all anyway in a day. The thing with Europe is taking your time. Its just as important to relax with a cappucino at an outside cafe watching the world go by or promenading along the main street at the end of the day as it is to see these sights. The Dolce Vita means the sweet life. So you must translate this into whatever turns you on. having walked the steps at Positano (loads) and then struggling throught the masses of tourists to find the bus or an ice cream then a bus, I can assure you that sitting and watching is the Dolce Vita to me. I am not particularly unfit but I know that the history and beauty is all around me. Sometimes you walk so fast you see nothing

I'm so upset!! I just worked on a long detailed review for about an hour and then *kaboom* it was gone. Just returned last night from our trip on the Freedom.

I'll write another tomorrow.

I hate when that happens!

Looking forward to your post!

I agree Terri910 Its about relaxing. Sometimes you walk so fast you see nothing

I agree with both of you! It's not always about the fitness level. After 3 knee surgeries and the "biggie" looming... I'm not exactly a fan of stairs either! So all this info is very helpful to me! So keep it coming! I appreciate it. Looking forward to the "lost" post too!! :)

My first post about our cruise also disappeared. Hmmm. . .

As it has been mentioned that internet is pricey on the ship I will give an overview of my time on the Freedom thus far. After we get home I will compose a message that gives all our prices we paid for trains and such, times, ect. And try to answer more questions then. For now. . .

Our time on this ship has been fantastic! This is me and my DH’s first cruise, so we didn’t know what to expect. At embarkation, we arrived at the port and stepped onto the ship about ten mintues later. The process went very quickly and because we arrived at 4pm, there was no line. They did keep our passports and in return we received a ticket to get them back later. It was explained on the ship that this is because of our visit to Turkey. Carnival has negotiated for us and the Turkish customs will come aboard the ship while we are in Izmir and stamp our passports while being treated to a very nice dinner. We, in return, are to carry with us a slip of paper that allows us to be in country and is our ticket back onto the ship as well. Our passports should be returned in Katakalon.

The food has exceeded our expectations. The service in the Posh dining room is exceptional. The menu is fantastic. Most food is included in the price of the cruise, the only exceptions being the Supper Club ($30)and the pastries and cakes at the coffee bar. My DH and I will eat at the Supper Club on the 20th and give a report of that later.

As for the ‘hot’ tubs, they are still lukewarm. It doesn’t bother most people as they are usually full, but I will not go again. Hopefully they will be warmer in future sailings.

Our port day in Naples, we arrived on time and had excellent weather. My DH and I were the first off the ship (as we are doing most ports on our own) and went straight to the train station for Pompeii. We arrived in Pompeii shortly after opening and avoided a large crowd. Then left for Sorrento where we got on the hydrofoil for Capri.

Then we had our day at sea. Lots of activities planned kept us busy all day long. We had a great time. The staff is ready and anxious to take care of our small requests, with the only exception being the waiters of the Victorianna Lounge. They seem to hate their jobs.

The first night there was no entertainment provided. The second night was John Heald entertaining us. He basically made a fool of eight people and it was funny as John is a funny guy. Last night was the first ‘big show’ and it was about New Orleans. Parents, be warned, as I would not take my children. They say it’s PG, I disagree. It shows everything about New Orleans, and I mean everything. There is no nudity, but many sexual connotations, voodoo, demons and also Mardi Gras, a coffee scene, cooking, everglades. It was however, a good performance for adults, so I would recommend going. Tonight is supposed to be a comedian and I think I’m sitting this one out and will watch it on TV tomorrow as I have laundry to do.

Last night was also our first formal night, I’m not sure how many there will be overall. There was a mixture of what people were wearing. Some men were in tuxes, many were in a nice suit, some were wearing a shirt and tie but no jacket. The ladies were also mixed. Some wore nice pants, some wore knee length nice dresses, others wore long dresses, but I don’t recall seeing any ball gowns. The long dresses were fancy, more formal than church or a wedding.

Today we spent our time in Rhodes and most people just took to the streets for shopping. This is a good port to do that as there are many shops and they are very close to the port. There is a good selection of what you can buy, my DH and I only shopped today - we didn’t go see any sights. Make sure you bargain with the people as we only found a few that were stuck on their price marked. We offered half the marked price and they usually went up 5EU from there and we had a deal.

Tomorrow is Ephesus and I will try to give another update in a few days and answer some questions. I haven’t gone back and read anything and the last time I was on here was before we left the US, so be persistent with your questions and patient as well since the internet is not cheap and if I can’t answer while we are gone, will try to answer more q’s when we arrive home.

Last night was also our first formal night, I’m not sure how many there will be overall. There was a mixture of what people were wearing. Some men were in tuxes, many were in a nice suit, some were wearing a shirt and tie but no jacket. The ladies were also mixed. Some wore nice pants, some wore knee length nice dresses, others wore long dresses, but I don’t recall seeing any ball gowns. The long dresses were fancy, more formal than church or a wedding.

Thanks you SO much for this info. I had been wondering/worrying what to wear for the formal nights. :)

A question for you tho.... are the bars, cafes, dining areas smoke free? Or is it hard to get away from the cigar/cigarette smokers?

Thanks so much, Anne

Archived